Thread: How much boost can a 190lph fuel pump support?

boostaholic

How much boost can a 190lph fuel pump support?

I was trying to upgrade the stock fuel pump on my '04 Sebring Sedan (2.4L) as part of my turbo project, to a Walbro 255, but the walbro 255 I got didn't fit.

So now that the stock fuel pump is out, I see that the stock fuel pump is made by Walbro, and has a part number of 04879360AA. I found through another forum that this part number is the same one found on the Turbo 2.4L Mexican Stratus R/T. It also seems that Walbro doesn't make anything smaller than 190lph. So I figure that my fuel pump has to be AT LEAST 190lph.

How much boost should I be able to safely support with a 190lph fuel pump, rising rate fuel pressure regulator, return line, and 750cc/min injectors?

I'm kind of wanting to just stick with my stock pump for a little while, until I can find a suitable upgrade. However I don't want to do that if it's just going to blow things up.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Re: How much boost can a 190lph fuel pump support?

i wouldnt risk it. id call walbro to see if they have a 255 thats the same style/size as the 190 thats in there stock. they make a few different styles of 255's even a 255 inline that you could use.

this is the first i saw this thread so i figured id reply even though you might have a solution by now.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

A 190 is barely larger than our stock TM pumps so agreed, contact Walbro or leave the stocker in place and add an external 255 pump.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

Well after doing as much searching as I could stand to do, the plan I came up with was to add an in-line 255. I figure the stock pump should be OK for the break-in period... I'm going to drive the car around on as little boost as possible (say 5 to 8 psi range) for at least 500 miles to get the engine broken in. Then I'll take it back in and have an in-line pump added before turning up the boost.

I just can't find an in-tank pump that is a direct replacement. The Walbro 255 I have is the same size as the stock Walbro, it's the way the bottom side (side that sucks the fuel in) is shaped that makes it not fit. Basically I'd have to take both pumps apart, and try to swap the ends out, to get it to work. I just don't think that's a good idea.