Thread: Car runs rich at idle/part throttle

turbo addict

Car runs rich at idle/part throttle

Been trying to figure out why my Daytona has been running rich at idle and part throttle. Hooked the scan tool to it and noticed the adaptave fuel was at +24% and the Charge air temp was reading -45F. This was on a Stg 3 Fwd SBEC, I swapped in a different sensor with no changes. I just swapped in a stock SBEC and the adaptave fuel went down to zero but the intake charge still reads -45F. The only code its showing has been a 43 that I cant get rid of. Swapping coil packs didn't help that.

This is on a fresh stock rebuild and LW Stg 1 cams

Let me know what you guys think,

Kelly
    Bristol, CT
    92 Daytona IROC R/T
    91 Spirit R/T
    04 Ram Hemi

turbo addict

Re: Car runs rich at idle/part throttle

After swapping back to the FWD cal the adaptave fuel went down to zero but the charge air still reads -45F. Put the stock cal back in and the charge air reads 32F now for both sensors.

Between all of this swapping I have been resetting the battery each time.

Garrett booster

What scanner are you using? My OTC 4000e with Pathfinder II & Pathfinder 97 reads 32ºF for the charge air temp sensor if I look it the Data Line. But if I go into the Sensor Tests under Deluxe CDR the temp is correct. Just a fluke in the software I think.

turbo addict

I have a 4000e with Pathfinder II also. I'll check it out through the CDR mode but I get normal readings on my Spirit R/T using the Data Line.

Thing is it's so rich it's very obvious. My car smokes less at WOT on the dyno than it does at idle now.

turbo addict

Through the Senor Test on the CDR menu I get 73 at startup so that sounds normal but it's still adding in 19% adaptave fuel.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I have a '91 R/T and my OTC 4000E always shows the correct charge temp in the Data Line screen. Never tried the CDR stuff though. That's with a stock SBEC and a '93 Pathfinder II cartridge. I would guess you have a intermittent connection on one of the coil driver circuits.

turbo addict

So you're saying I should change the coil pack?

I changed it once already before I noticed this issue but I still get a code 43 after I drive the car a bit.

Could be in an intermittent connection in the wiring. For example, I recently had my speed sensor quit working. Found out it was my fault because I had unplugged some of the connectors behind the battery and used a probe to check a few circuits for continuity, which enlarged the female end of the connector enough that it wouldn't make contact when the plug was reconnected.

Also, I have gotten a code 43 in my R/T once before a long time ago. It came and went with no apparent reason; the only thing I could figure is that the underdrive pulley I had just installed was dragging down the system voltage enough at idle with the headlights and stereo going that the coil wasn't getting enough juice.

turbo addict

Ill look into the wiring but I don't have any underdrive pullies or big stereo in the car.

Have you checked the spark plugs? Are all rich or just one or two?

turbo addict

All 4 show rich and look pretty normal otherwise.