Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turbocharging a 95 Neon-Options please!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Cool Turbocharging a 95 Neon-Options please!

Ok, I have another customer that wants me to turbocharge his 95 Neon. I did a 2.4 SRT swap into one before and never again sooooooooo what are my options?
    I will be going forged pistons and retaining his stock 2.0L DOHC head, so is there a 2.4 block that will bolt right in? IE Stratus etc pre 99 or do I change out the rods and crank and put 2.4 stuff in?

There will be no porting so what turbo to run? Just a daily driver, no drag racing.

What are my options for engine management? I could have MicroTech installed but can I trick the stock stuff?

Thanks guys.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Re: Turbocharging a 95 Neon-Options please!

I think Hahn just bolted a turbo to a stock motor with a RRR and it was good for like 6-8 psi.
    Stg II was intercooled stage I and like 10-12 psi. Stg III was pistons and around 15 psi.

2.4s bolt in with a pass side adapter that you can get off the Neon boards. Wiring changes are a couple simple swaps. (cam sensor and injectors) You need to start with a DOHC harness.

SRT4 rods and pistons are the way to go if you are adding real boost to the 2.4, Super cheap and reliable.

DailyDriver: bolt on a stock SRT4 turbofold. Easy, reliable.

They do alright on stock 2.0 computers. Neon Performance computers are a no-no with boost.

..or he can just buy my rust free 98 2.4 turbo R/T

Ron

boostaholic

www.neons.org try the neon guru's

turbo addict

You know you'd ask this if anyone else were asking. Sooooo.... What's the power level and purpose of this build?

Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    You know you'd ask this if anyone else were asking. Sooooo.... What's the power level and purpose of this build?
    Just a stock type build, no more than 10 psi, just for some more added boost, I sorta mentioned that in the first post,

Quote Originally Posted by TurboRon25 View Post
    I think Hahn just bolted a turbo to a stock motor with a RRR and it was good for like 6-8 psi.
    Stg II was intercooled stage I and like 10-12 psi. Stg III was pistons and around 15 psi.
    It will be getting rebuilt and an IC.

2.4s bolt in with a pass side adapter that you can get off the Neon boards. Wiring changes are a couple simple swaps. (cam sensor and injectors) You need to start with a DOHC harness.
    Did that before, not a fan of it plus the added height. The car is already DOHC.

SRT4 rods and pistons are the way to go if you are adding real boost to the 2.4, Super cheap and reliable.
    Will they go in a 2.0L with a crank swap?

I know about that but don't like the port mismatch and the missing stud you grind off to make it fit a pre 2000 head.

They do alright on stock 2.0 computers. Neon Performance computers are a no-no with boost.
    Good to know.

Ron
    Hahhaa, nice try.

I'll surf around Neons.org.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Ron
    Also to add all of Hahns kits used Mitsu turbos for whatever reason.

+1 to the clean '98 Ron has for sale! pics of the '95?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Also to add all of Hahns kits used Mitsu turbos for whatever reason.

+1 to the clean '98 Ron has for sale! pics of the '95?

He likes his car.

I don't have any pics, just a normal Neon, nothing special but its paid for, lol!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

LOL... I want Ron's '98 but a '95 would be easier cuz no e-check for pre OBD2 here

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

you could run the 95 on a smec/sbec with a dist adapter to the cam and even utilize the factory neon knock sensor with some reprogramming to the threshold curve. Chem2 has scaling options for 2.0L. keep the stock ecu in there for the gauges and stuff. add the SMEC/SBEC like a standalone.

id do rods and pistons. no you cant use a 2.4L crank or the SRT stuff in the 2.0L motor. the 2.0L has a wider large end of the rod.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

If this is a daily driver, then a DOHC 2.0 with HRC turbo kit should be good. It will make around 210whp.

The 2.4 does swap in. All the SRT4 internals fit the 1st gen 2.4 block. You can use a SOHC 2.0 engine harness without much problems. I only had to change the cam position sensor's connector and lengthen CTS and Oil pressure when I did my swap.

For engine management on a 2.4 turbo setup. Alot of neon owners use megasquirt with AEM's F/IC gaining in popularity.

Since the PT crusier supercharger kit deal fell through on me. I'll probably turbocharge my 2.4 with a SRT4 turbofold and run AEM's F/IC.

later

Ron
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

darn, if only this were a SOHC thread, it'd be twice as useful to me!

210whp in a neon is pretty sweet considering the weight. Id be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by inmyshadow View Post
    If this is a daily driver, then a DOHC 2.0 with HRC turbo kit should be good. It will make around 210whp.

The 2.4 does swap in. All the SRT4 internals fit the 1st gen 2.4 block. You can use a SOHC 2.0 engine harness without much problems. I only had to change the cam position sensor's connector and lengthen CTS and Oil pressure when I did my swap.

For engine management on a 2.4 turbo setup. Alot of neon owners use megasquirt with AEM's F/IC gaining in popularity.

Since the PT crusier supercharger kit deal fell through on me. I'll probably turbocharge my 2.4 with a SRT4 turbofold and run AEM's F/IC.

later

Does the 2.4 sit higher, I know the SRT motor did?

I'll check into the HRC kit.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post

It has to, unless you want to lower the trans. 2.4 has a taller deck height.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Yes, I had to remove the hood padding to clear the dohc 2.4 valve cover. But you need to use the bulge hood to clear either dohc motor.

James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

Authorized Vendor Turbo Mopar Vendor mario03SRT's Avatar

Vanman,

I helped a local do his 2.0.

- 255 pump
    - SRT-4 turbofold assy. WGA/BOV/Turbo
    - map clamp on a stock Neon 2.0 ecu
    - aeromotive adj fuel reg
    - stock 2003 SRT injectors (early ones pre 2004 which were larger) or
    maybe some accell 24 lb or ford racing 24 lbs.
    - fmic
    - mbc
    - stock SRT-4 DP

9 psi max as the rods will start to fuss over this much power. Also the valves will give whine also. The car ran a 13 flat on slicks. Made around 190 hp at the wheels. With a SRT head with a mild PnP and 8.5 compression pistons, crower rods, SRT 4 Clutch (slightly turned), 3 in exhaust, STG 1 injectors AND megasquirt the car runs 11.70s and is putting down 330 hp at the wheels with 20 psi spike holding 17 to 7k.

FYI,
    Marion

If I remember anything else I'll add it.

Quote Originally Posted by inmyshadow View Post
    Yes, I had to remove the hood padding to clear the dohc 2.4 valve cover. But you need to use the bulge hood to clear either dohc motor.
    IT HAS THE DOHC MOTOR,

Quote Originally Posted by mario03SRT View Post
    Vanman,

I helped a local do his 2.0.

- 255 pump
    - SRT-4 turbofold assy. WGA/BOV/Turbo
    - map clamp on a stock Neon 2.0 ecu
    - aeromotive adj fuel reg
    - stock 2003 SRT injectors (early ones pre 2004 which were larger) or
    maybe some accell 24 lb or ford racing 24 lbs.
    - fmic
    - mbc
    - stock SRT-4 DP

9 psi max as the rods will start to fuss over this much power. Also the valves will give whine also. The car ran a 13 flat on slicks. Made around 190 hp at the wheels. With a SRT head with a mild PnP and 8.5 compression pistons, crower rods, SRT 4 Clutch (slightly turned), 3 in exhaust, STG 1 injectors AND megasquirt the car runs 11.70s and is putting down 330 hp at the wheels with 20 psi spike holding 17 to 7k.

FYI,
    Marion

If I remember anything else I'll add it.
    Thanks, I like that one, nice and simple and no standalone,

Thanks, I like that one, nice and simple and no standalone,
    in this day and age i find fuel management via regulators and such unacceptable. how many wires does it take to run an engine on a SMEC? you have a burner. you have chips right? dont cobble, do a good job for the kid. 100$ for the dist adapter, you probably have a SMEC and the connectors laying around. solder a handful of wires and you have a tunable EFI setup with room for the future for less than RRR's and stuff like that. plus you would learn skills that would help you tune your van as well. plus the safety of factory turbo knock detection.

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    in this day and age i find fuel management via regulators and such unacceptable. how many wires does it take to run an engine on a SMEC? you have a burner. you have chips right? dont cobble, do a good job for the kid. 100$ for the dist adapter, you probably have a SMEC and the connectors laying around. solder a handful of wires and you have a tunable EFI setup with room for the future for less than RRR's and stuff like that. plus you would learn skills that would help you tune your van as well. plus the safety of factory turbo knock detection.

Brian
    Damn you, why do you have to make sense,

hehe, im terrible arent i

do you have a scanner simon? if you go the smec route, i can give you a hand retuning the knock threshold table to match the neon. itll take less than an hour to do.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    hehe, im terrible arent i

do you have a scanner simon? if you go the smec route, i can give you a hand retuning the knock threshold table to match the neon. itll take less than an hour to do.

Brian
    I have an Ostrich, burner to which I still haven't picked up yet and have a Snap On and OTC scanner.

This won't happen for at least 6 months but he is starting to save money now,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast