Thread: Okay... what happend?

turbo addict

Okay... what happend?

Arrrgg....

So I spent all last weekend swapping a new head and larger turbo onto my 89 shebly tona (t2) I finialy got in some shake down runs today, and the car lost almost all power! The car didnt feel right when I first started tunning it, it fell real laggy and slow but I was blaming it on the s60 and g-head. anyways after a few 15 psi runs, and then a quick shoot to 20, I dropped it to about 18. A ran it all the way out at 18 psi, and the egt's looked a little hot in the top of 3rd, so I lifted and when I did that, it lost all power. I was barely able to leave the next stop sign. It also kept dieing especialy if I let the revs drop below 1500. I got it home, and my first thought was a problem with the valvetrain so I removed the valve cover. Everything looked good there, so I moved into the cam/crank timing. I rolled the motor over to TDC and the cam was off about 30 degrees and the dizzy was pointed it 3, not 1. I re-did the triming and now the car refuses to start. Doesnt even try.

anyone have any ideas on this? I am so lost...

thank you for your help
    Dustin

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

Re: Okay... what happend?

I have run into TD's with TWO marks in the timing window. I would turn it over by hand a full revolution and make sure you didn't use the second mark.

turbo addict

you know... ill try that ive ran into that 2. I didnt pullaplug when I set the timing so that could be it. Still doesnt explain wtf happend that made it die/loose power thou.

Still sounds like you jumped time. If the belt tension was correct, I'd have a look at the intermediate shaft and oil pump gear. Make sure the dist doesn't have excessive play.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous_User View Post
    I have run into TD's with TWO marks in the timing window. I would turn it over by hand a full revolution and make sure you didn't use the second mark.

All the flywheels and flexplates that I can recall looking at have two marks. I always pull a plug to make sure that #1 is on the compression stroke when looking for the mark to come around.

turbo addict

the groove with the circle is the right one.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMopar View Post
    Still sounds like you jumped time. If the belt tension was correct, I'd have a look at the intermediate shaft and oil pump gear. Make sure the dist doesn't have excessive play.

+2, my guess also.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

im thinking its intermeadiate shaft to. was just looking for some second opinions. Im getting really tired of this car... everyweekend im working on it instead of playing with it or making it faster...

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

All the flywheels and flexplates that I can recall looking at have two marks
    I figured that all of them were like that, but I didn't want to make a statement I didn't know was true. I know that I've lined everything up on the wrong mark before, though!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFromHell View Post
    im thinking its intermeadiate shaft to. was just looking for some second opinions. Im getting really tired of this car... everyweekend im working on it instead of playing with it or making it faster...

Thats what happens with older cars unfortunately. Once you get her fixed up, she'll be very reliable,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Yep, the issues come in waves for me too. They run great for a year or two and then I'll have a bunch of unrelated problems in a row. Then it will be good for a while again.

They're old and severely flogged. Give em a break.

With the exception of the Spirit, my cars have always timed their breakdowns to coincide with when I'm working and have money. The downside is I usually have to end up spending the money set back for mods on repairs.