Thread: Re-prime, Seal, or primer sealer?

Re-prime, Seal, or primer sealer?

Okay, I am getting closer and closer to ready for paint. I spent all day saturday going over the charger and sanding with 600 grit. There are a few extremely small places where I cut through to paint or steel. My question is this:

Do I need to re-prime these areas and sand again, or can I use a sealer, or a primer sealer?

I assume that I will have to paint pretty soon after I have applied a sealer or primer sealer, and that no further sanding of the sealer or primer sealer will be necessary.

Wow, there's a lot of work to this painting stuff.

~~Heath

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

Re: Re-prime, Seal, or primer sealer?

ANY bare metal needs to have etching primer sprayed on it. Then a coat of good primer. Wet sand the primer before painting, but don't cut through to the bare metal.

***Not a professional, I've shot a few cars in my time, but nothing fancy.

Why don't you give my dad a call Heath? You know he would point you in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by DC Turismo View Post
    Why don't you give my dad a call Heath? You know he would point you in the right direction.
    I know he's pretty busy, so I just didn't want to bother him if it wasn't necessary.

yes, reprime those areas, then sand down again making sure NOT to bust through. then give it a good washing. right before you're ready to paint, tac cloth the whole car to remove any dust/lint. the sealer goes on right before the paint does. good luck with your project!