Thread: Vacuum Lines

turbo addict

Vacuum Lines

Ok all, I am getting ready to route the vacuum lines for the Daytona and I need to know what these "orifices/restrictors" are and if they are really necessary. If so, what sizes are these things? I know they aren't "universal" are they? I am getting ready to "vacuum block" the thing in a few weeks, but for now, I just need it to get running right enough to drive. Is there anything I can eliminate? Extra "T's," extra checkvalve's, etc? Thanks in advance...

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo/turbo188.jpg
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

turbo addict

Re: Vacuum Lines

Bump for ideas guys
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

turbo addict

The orifaces/restrictors are not required but can help in some situations. I believe they help to control the airflow/surges. Doing the vac block is a good idea. Get rid of the lines to the charcoal can, and just run lines for you brake boost, boost gauge, map sensor, wastegate, and BOV. That should be it unless you are still using the comp to control boost.

turbo addict

I was always under the impression the charcoal can helped scavenge the excess "fumes" from the combustion process(PCV) and return them to the tank. I know that was the way it was for my 80's GM G-bodies. I guess the catch can I have does essentially the same thing by reintroducing the "left over" fumes to the intake tract, but these are "iffy" to me. I figure I need to keep everything else right? I have a couple of ideas for this and I may use them soon, but I'll wait till I get closer to the time regarding the vac block routing.

So, if I totally eliminate theose lines it won't hinder fuel economy, or if it does it would be very negligable? I am still using the comp at this point, but what would it do to eliminate these things? I know that on mine the I have the cruise control option I want to keep and when I switched from the Mitsu to the Garret I lost the additional fitting for the line that goes from the WG can to the compressor housing(bleed-off). Is this necessary to prevent overboost? I have a single fitting on the Garrett housing right now, but I have it going as the single line to the CC. Is this incorrect?

Man I hate vac lines... Wiring, I'm good with... vac lines suck @ss!

turbo addict

I've had very negligable gas milage change with removing the can. You car is how old? 15+years? Not sure how long those cans last but I know when I worked at the movie theatre that ever 6 months we changed the charcoal filters on our poppers and we should have been doing them every 3 or less. Thats more oil and crap than our cars see but still the same type of thing so just ditch the whole assembly to nearest garbage IMO.

To keep CC just make sure you have a line to it with new vac setup. You have a bar on the turbo, two on the TB, and two off the manifold if it is a newer T1. That gives you five sources and you need about 6-7 I think. Wastegate, boost gauge, CC, BOV, pcv?, map, brake boost.

turbo addict

sweet... Thanks Overlord!

turbo addict

Your welcome. Just feel good about being able to finally give back to the community that I have badgered with questions for the past couple years.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by overlordsshadow View Post
    Your welcome. Just feel good about being able to finally give back to the community that I have badgered with questions for the past couple years.
    I hear ya... I know a lot of general engine questions, but the little things sometimes hit me in the face!