Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: stuck in open loop

turbo addict

stuck in open loop

Car is stuck in open loop. It will not no matter how much I drive and how warm the car is or it is outside go into closed loop. I know Bosch O2's are questionable but I put a new one in because it was free. I have never had one cause this kind of problem...in fact the stocker did the same exact thing. I replaced the coolant temp. sensor and all that I can think of is to replace the thermostat. The weird thing is no codes? Autometer gauge is good and will register stoich at start up and creep it's way to the middle of the green bars and just sort of hover in that area. I will get stoich again under decel but any other throttle input send it right back to the greens and stays there...even at idle.

I'll toss in the thermo when I get home...if that doesn't work...any other ideas?

Oh yeah...stock injectors, SMEC, map and press reg.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Re: stuck in open loop

Have you looked at the output of the O2 sensor with something other than the autometer gauge? I would try to verify it with a scan tool or DVM. The fact that it's not looging a code makes me wonder if the computer is seeing something different from your gauge.

How is the gauge grounded? On my A/F gauges I always run the ground right to the battery connection rather than just to the dash or body of the car, this seems to give the gauge a cleaner ground.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
    Have you looked at the output of the O2 sensor with something other than the autometer gauge? I would try to verify it with a scan tool or DVM. The fact that it's not looging a code makes me wonder if the computer is seeing something different from your gauge.

How is the gauge grounded? On my A/F gauges I always run the ground right to the battery connection rather than just to the dash or body of the car, this seems to give the gauge a cleaner ground.
    Yes, I have tapped it with a multimeter...and I have to admit I'm knocking cobwebs out of my head...I did see fluctuation but the numbers were awfully high and didn't "bounce" as much as what I had remembered in the past.

I tried many different grounds and ended up on the intake manifold to firewall ground strap.

The car has a VERY NICE aftermarket aluminum radiator and I'm thinking that maybe that may be causing issues...along with maybe a worn out thermo...but the factory temp gauge sets right about 1/4 which is what I remember from all my other cars.

It's something simple I'm sure...I have just been out of it for so long I'm overlooking the obvious somewhere.

turbo addict

I would be willing to bet that the replacement O2 took a dump.

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

LOL then change it!!!
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by GLHSKEN View Post
    LOL then change it!!!
    Easy killer I still think something else is up. I'll swap it out with another and see if I have the same results. It's possible that I spoiled this one as the cam/crank alignment was out of whack when I got the car causing it to run extremely rich.

Maybe I should have bought Whitey back...lol...no, wait...Frank isn't finished re-inventing the wheel yet

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Whats your fuel pressure? running stock injectors?

Bosch are known for sticking, OE or NTK are good ones. See if you can borrow a lab scope or Vantage and check it properly. If it was in open loop all the time, it would be using alot more gas.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Whats your fuel pressure? running stock injectors?

Bosch are known for sticking, OE or NTK are good ones. See if you can borrow a lab scope or Vantage and check it properly. If it was in open loop all the time, it would be using alot more gas.
    I've owned the car almost 2 weeks and have gone through 60 bux in gas!...and it ain't cause my foots been it it either! She hits overboost before I can say "Vaughn's a loser"...lol...(sorry Spanky)

It's definately using up the go go juice...stock injectors, stock reg.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I would either recheck your multimeter or borrow a labscope, they can tell you if your running rich or if the ox is no good.

Have access to a scanner?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

you check the TPS voltage?

i had a setup that didnt fluctuate much at idle but then it would bounce at cruise if thats any help.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by badandy View Post
    The car has a VERY NICE aftermarket aluminum radiator and I'm thinking that maybe that may be causing issues...along with maybe a worn out thermo...but the factory temp gauge sets right about 1/4 which is what I remember from all my other cars.
    My guess is coolant temp sensor is reading too cold. Note the gauge is off the single wire sensor on the middle front of the head. The coolant temp sensor is the two wire sensor on the thermostat housing. So your gauge can read normal and if the CTS says it is cold, then it will stay in open loop. And if that is the case you may not get a code with it until it is really far off.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by sdac guy View Post
    My guess is coolant temp sensor is reading too cold. Note the gauge is off the single wire sensor on the middle front of the head. The coolant temp sensor is the two wire sensor on the thermostat housing. So your gauge can read normal and if the CTS says it is cold, then it will stay in open loop. And if that is the case you may not get a code with it until it is really far off.

Barry
    That was my thoughts. I swapped out the CTS with a new one but I'm thinking it's running too cool. I'll check it out tomorrow.

turbo addict

make sure all the gauge feed and ground wiring is soldered and ground it directly to the battery. Also a scanner is a good idea. After recent findings I'd ditch the NB gauges and stock sensor and go wideband. The stock NB gauges don't tell you anything about how much fuel you'll really running.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

^^^^ hes right. if you look at the actual electrical output curve vs AFR, between .87v and .7 v is anywhere from 9:1 to 14:1.... not enough resolution to tune the car precisely to. now as an indication gauge to make sure the car is cycling in closed loop, its ok for that.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

Okay...

For starters...so that nobody misunderstands...I am not looking for tuning right now as I'm just trying to get the car not to swallow more gas than my old ram!

Update:

Brand new O2...still .9 volts constantly
    TPS volts OK
    All grounds in good shape and verified.
    Pulled SMEC plugs, cleaned them and verified all were making good contact.
    Swapped out map with two different known good ones
    Swapped out coolant temp sensor...even plugged back in the stocker and took a lighter to it to trip the cooling fan
    Thermostat is okay
    Stock injectors, stock fuel press reg., 255 pump, fuel pressure was verified as stock.
    I even swapped in an adjustable fuel press. reg. and set static at 45 psi and STILL get .9 on the multimeter!

Vaughn and I messed around yesterday and we took some pliers to the incoming fuel line...gave it a good squeeze and the O2 sensor voltage did indeed drop...which tells us the O2 is functioning correctly.

I'm leaning towards the SMEC is bad...I can't think of anything else!

Swapped out coolant temp sensor...even plugged back in the stocker and took a lighter to it to trip the cooling fan
    Does your fan come on when the engine is idling or sitting in traffic after a romp down the freeway?

If not, that would mean the coolant itself is not getting hot enough to trip the fan. Maybe it is not getting hot enough to go into closed loop. Someone before you didn't put in a low temp thermostat did they? Maybe between that and your super radiator, the coolant isn't getting hot enough. A stock one is a 195.

If the fan cycles by itself when idling, then the problem with open loop is not coolant temp related.

Do you have access to a scan tool? BTW, other than bad fuel economy, how do you know the car is running in open loop all the time?

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

turbo addict

Does your fan come on when the engine is idling or sitting in traffic after a romp down the freeway?

If not, that would mean the coolant itself is not getting hot enough to trip the fan. Maybe it is not getting hot enough to go into closed loop. Someone before you didn't put in a low temp thermostat did they? Maybe between that and your super radiator, the coolant isn't getting hot enough. A stock one is a 195.

If the fan cycles by itself when idling, then the problem with open loop is not coolant temp related.

Do you have access to a scan tool? BTW, other than bad fuel economy, how do you know the car is running in open loop all the time?

Barry
    I tricked the computer into thinking the temp. was up by plugging in another CTS while the car was running and holding a lighter to the sensor until the cooling fan came on...then I checked the O2 as well as checked the a/f gauge. The multimeter read .9 and the a/f gauge was pegged.

I do not have access to a scan tool at this time. I know that the car is running open loop all of the time due to the multimeter readings and the a/f gauge which I have verified as being accurate enough to use to diagnose the problem.

I tricked the computer into thinking the temp. was up by plugging in another CTS while the car was running and holding a lighter to the sensor until the cooling fan came on...then I checked the O2 as well as checked the a/f gauge. The multimeter read .9 and the a/f gauge was pegged.

I do not have access to a scan tool at this time. I know that the car is running open loop all of the time due to the multimeter readings and the a/f gauge which I have verified as being accurate enough to use to diagnose the problem.
    So does the fan cycle when the engine is hot & idling for a while?

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

turbo addict

So does the fan cycle when the engine is hot & idling for a while?

Barry
    Yes it does cycle. I previously simulated this test by using a spare coolant temp sensor and holding a lighter to it to get it hot. Nothing changes the O2 voltage which leads me to believe the computer is driving the injector duty cycle to too high of a pulse width

Mitsu booster

Hey guys, I am the previous owner of the csxt in question here. I did put in a lower temp thermostat when I first got the car cause the one in it was stuck open, @ the time it was the only one I could find. I do have a scan tool for the car, if you want to bring it back I can put it on it, the last time I checked it the only code that came up was for overboost. The car did have a adj fuel pressure reg. from foward motion on it, never really liked it all that much though. I NEVER had it over heat in traffic or after a hard run, an the electric fan always came on an cooled it down in a hurry.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast