Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody ever blow a MP headgasket?

TurboII

Anybody ever blow a MP headgasket?

well im still not sure if i actually blew it or not but my car has been acting funny. I recently been having to add coolant to the raditor everyday for about a week now. But its not showing know signs of gasket blow. But i do have a small leak like when the car been sitting after 20min from a drive and theirs a little drop on the floor but i cant seem to find it on the car. The spot is in a weird location like underneath the tranny were their are signs of coolant lines or hoses around it or near it. Need help cause its driving me crazy

Re: Anybody ever blow a MP headgasket?

They can blow, sure. Overheating, pinging, etc. However, it sounds like you have a leak coming from the coolant return from the turbo. There is a short section of rubber hose right above the tranny. This often gets a slow leak that sounds just as you describe.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

MP head gasket? I have a stack of blown ones... 30psi out of a decent sized turbo... I had some clamping issues.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

same here. went for no reason on my last car... only ever run at 15psi. it can happen.

on a related note: what is a good headgasket for holding 20psi on a regular basis, 23psi on track days?? any suggestions. i have an MP waiting to go in, but now i'm reconsidering and maybe will go with something else if there's a much better option. or do you guys think the MP is good enough for only 20(ish) psi?? thanks

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by devlish View Post
    same here. went for no reason on my last car... only ever run at 15psi. it can happen.

on a related note: what is a good headgasket for holding 20psi on a regular basis, 23psi on track days?? any suggestions. i have an MP waiting to go in, but now i'm reconsidering and maybe will go with something else if there's a much better option. or do you guys think the MP is good enough for only 20(ish) psi?? thanks

Use a cometic....unless you subscribe to the theory that a MP gasket is like a "fuse" in case of detonation. The cometic will take lots of abuse and you can re-use it several times.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

The Cometic is the only thing I've seen that's better than the MP gaskets, but I have seen the MP ones live for years with over 20psi on them.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TurboII View Post
    well im still not sure if i actually blew it or not but my car has been acting funny. I recently been having to add coolant to the raditor everyday for about a week now. But its not showing know signs of gasket blow. But i do have a small leak like when the car been sitting after 20min from a drive and theirs a little drop on the floor but i cant seem to find it on the car. The spot is in a weird location like underneath the tranny were their are signs of coolant lines or hoses around it or near it. Need help cause its driving me crazy
    You could have a frost plug leaking or if the factory block heater is still there, they are notorious for leaking.

Nothing wrong with MP gaskets, mine has held 30 psi runs with no problems. Make sure the block and head are straight and I like ARP studs for added insurance.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I had a MP gasket live for a very long time at 20+ PSI. It lasted until I had to rebuild the motor.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

That factory block heater was standard on Canadian cars, but isn't very common on cars for the lower 48, so don't be suprised if you can't find one on your Lebaron Joey. But I would do your best to get the car up on ramps and while it's running see if you can locate where the leaks are coming from.

The coolant return line that runs next to the head on the drivers side is the first place I would look, the the heater hoses, followed by the freeze plugs, then look around the exhaust manifold since the exhaust studs extend into the coolant passages of the head.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

TurboII

what im think about doing is pressure testing my lebaron and see if i could find something cause i have tryed pressuring it before and i couldnt fine noting it only leaked when the car was shut off after running. Weird

yeah, i've got ARP head studs. i think the MP will be fine then also. unless next year brings a t3/t4, then i'll upgrade to the cometic. how many times can you retorque (re-use) the ARP studs??

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

how many times can you retorque (re-use) the ARP studs??
    Forever,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

yeah, i've got ARP head studs. i think the MP will be fine then also. unless next year brings a t3/t4, then i'll upgrade to the cometic. how many times can you retorque (re-use) the ARP studs??
    Pretty much indefinitely.

excellent. glad i went that route. thanks guys. it's these little things i don't know enough about.

excellent. glad i went that route. thanks guys. it's these little things i don't know enough about.
    If you pull the head a lot they pay for themselves pretty quickly.

TurboII

well its definitly the head gasket. I did and compression check and cylinder number one was running low. Another things that gave it away was that every time i cracked it over i heard bubbles in the resevoir and their was also signs of white stuff inside my exhaust pipe.
    Compression # 75-90-90-85/90

Did you pull the air filter and open the TB when doing that test?

TurboII

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Did you pull the air filter and open the TB when doing that test?
    Why would i need to do that? what is the reason for that...
    Also i didnt have the car running i pulled the coil plug off and went that route
    All i did was have a buddy do a simple crack over for a few seconds and check the gauge.

Another reason why i think its a bad head gasket is because my car was spitting and sputtering when you go 5psi and up and it feels like it has know power or so.
    Thanks
    Joey

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

The idea behind opening the throttle during compression test is so that the cylinders can suck in as much air as possible to make it a more realistic test.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

TurboII

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    The idea behind opening the throttle during compression test is so that the cylinders can suck in as much air as possible to make it a more realistic test.
    Don't mean mean to be rude
    but is that really necessary or is that for a even more positive resault.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast