Thread: Need Help Removing Intermediate Shaft Bearing

Hybrid booster

Thumbs down Need Help Removing Intermediate Shaft Bearing

Well we made a BIG mistake this past weekend, we put on the intermediate shaft gear, we thought it didn't want to go in all the way (it was...... ), and we tried to tap the gear on, in turn breaking the intermediate shaft (not the shaft itself but the washer type thing on the end), so now we have to change the intermediate shaft and the bearing, my question is, how do I remove the bearing?

Just when I figured my 4 year long wait of putting a new engine into my charger was almost here this happens......

thanks
    steve

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Re: Need Help Removing Intermediate Shaft Bearing

Quote Originally Posted by CDNTurboZ View Post
    Well we made a BIG mistake this past weekend, we put on the intermediate shaft gear, we thought it didn't want to go in all the way (it was...... ), and we tried to tap the gear on, in turn breaking the intermediate shaft (not the shaft itself but the washer type thing on the end), so now we have to change the intermediate shaft and the bearing, my question is, how do I remove the bearing?

thanks
    steve
    You simply press it through. You need the special tool, or have one made which is what i did and it's fairly simple if you have access to a lathe. I believe you press it through into the block, or the other way out, but you get the point. make ABSOLUTE sure that when you put in the new bearing, that the oil feed hole in the block lines up with the one in the bearing.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Hybrid booster

so what you're saying is to remove it I would press it into the block correct? Would something such as a big socket work? Or should I find the correct tool?

I did mine years ago, and forget without looking at them again. Just take out the shaft and would best to drop the pan as you don't want the bearing to hang oput with the reciprocating masses.

If you're real good, take a chisel and maybe cut a groove in it and hope that it collapses upon itself and pull it out with some needle nose pliers. Do NOT chisel too deep or you would put a gouge in the housing bore (area where the bearing is pressed into) That is what i would do, but I am experienced with a chisel of sorts after getting out really thin walled rod bushings in Crower or oliver type rods.

If you don't want to try that... then drop the pan and hope you have a socket that is just right to press out the bearing. Plus.. you may be able to see the oil hole alignment better from under the car with the pan off.

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

Hybrid booster

thanks I'll try the socket method, the pan is already off, at first we thought we F^cked up the oil pump gear and all, but after dropping the pan, every thing looks fine other than the shaft and bearing

Quote Originally Posted by CDNTurboZ View Post
    so what you're saying is to remove it I would press it into the block correct? Would something such as a big socket work? Or should I find the correct tool?
    You are correct - push it further into the block and it will fall out once it clears the web it's pressed into.

A socket doesn't work very well because it's hard to get it / keep it centered on such a thin wall part. The tool that Steve mentioned is a stepped rod that will pilot on the center of the bushing and just catch the edge - it's OD has to be slightly smaller so it will pass through the hole in the block - you'll need the same tool to get the new one in.
    I'll second the note Steve made to you - make sure the hole in the new bushing aligns with the feed hole in the block (the best you can) or you won't get oil to that end of the shaft.

also... used intermediate shaft used in conjunction with a used oil pump drive gear might not be a good thing. Never good to use two different used gears together. OK to have one used and one new. Check into that.

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

Hybrid booster

Thanks guys, one more quick question, are there any differences between the intermediate shafts? (as in cb and non cb?) I have 3 intermediate shafts, not sure from what year though.....is there any way to tell by looking at the part numbers?
    Last edited by CDNTurboZ; 06-18-2007 at 04:41 PM.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

What is the part number for that particular tool? I slid the shaft in and it marred up the bearing.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

bumpy

autozone has a bearing tool in their rental program with the right size "press tool"

I used it to press in new bearings into my block.

ask for pn oem27137, http://www.autozone.com/R,NONAPP1581...ductDetail.htm

there is a deposit on it you get back when y ou return the tool. the drivers are the right size, the handle is too short for the rear (smaller) bearing so I used a bar to tap it in (helper needed).

Again, Make sure that oil feed hole lines up!