Thread: Looooooooooow idle

Looooooooooow idle

Hi everyone,

Need a little help. Changed the timing belt 2 weeks ago. Idle was rough with poor acceleration so retimed it yesterday. I was off by a tooth on the intake camshaft. Anyways... there is still a little hesitation on acceleration but it is much improved. Car is now idling so low (250-500 rpm) that the chack gages light comes on although the car doesn't die. Previously I was getting code 45 and code 21 twice. Now I am just getting 21. Should I go back in and check the timing again or is this just an o2 sensor issue?

Thanks for your help.

Eric, M:.M:.
    Crow, Oregon

turbo addict

Re: Looooooooooow idle

Did you change ignition timing after you changed cam timing? Do you have a timing light?

I have always been told that ignition timing is not resettable-- no distributor.

turbo addict

Sorry, you have not specified type of car...

Sorry! It's a Dodge Spirit R/T. Are there other TIII cars that have their ignition timing set? Still kind o new at this...

turbo addict

MMM, yes I believe they have coil packs and seeing as how I don't have a T3 and have never worked on one someone else will have to help out. I know they have different timing lights for them since they are different ignition.