Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why and how to relay headlights

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Why and how to relay headlights

I installed some new relays and Hella bulbs in the Shadow last weekend. I thought I would do a video about why this is a good idea in addition to showing you how it's done. This is my first video featuring a voice over! I hope you guys enjoy this one.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: Why and how to relay headlights

Great How-To video! I've personally experienced melted down headlight switches in both my Shelby Lancer and Omni GLH (boy did those STINK)! I will be referencing this video in the near future for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Great How-To video! I've personally experienced melted down headlight switches in both my Shelby Lancer and Omni GLH (boy did those STINK)! I will be referencing this video in the near future for sure.
    Thanks for the feedback. I was amazed at the difference it made especially since I already had the relays in there. The higher wattage bulbs are a huge difference and I'll probably be doing this to the rest of my cars also. Anything to avoid a Shelby specific part from being destroyed by wildlife is well worth the time and effort IMO.

Cordes,
    Great video !! Question, if you have quad lamps like a Lancer does how does the install differ.
    Also you should make a written parts list.

Thanks,
    Jim

turbo addict

You can wire quad lamps to use both sets of lights while on hi-beam. I want to say that no car does that from the factory (I could be wrong there). There is even a kit available designed specifically to accomplish this (marketed toward Chevy trucks). Really the wiring would be no different for the quads to work normally, you would just need to run the power/ground wires for the hi-beams to the second solenoid, versus to the same headlight on the 3rd leg.

Here is a great page from Daniel Stern that outlines the different scenarios.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ys/relays.html

turbo addict

Nice!!!

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

I have a Daniel Stern headlight harness sitting and waiting to be installed in the GLH. I really need to get this done and upgrade the lights on the other cars in the fleet too.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

I recently installed the Daniel Stern kit on my Charger. Can't wait to get the car back together to see the improvement.

turbo addict

Ok so question. Did you mess with any wiring under the dash? Or did you just do it all under the hood? My understanding of the factory stuff is that power runs thru the headlight switch from the factory and when you relay headlights the switch now acts as an on/off switch for the relays. Did you cut the power supply off from that so it wouldn't go to it anymore? I watched your video and it looks like everything is done under the hood.

turbo addict

All under the hood. You just use the existing feeds to actuate the relays. Ends the headlight switch burning up as well.

turbo addict

Sweet. I'll be doing this soon. Thanks.

Now can we adopt this plan for the HVAC fan controls? That's the switch in my Charger that is looking most scorched.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Nice production - well done.

I too like those dove tailed slip together relay connectors. For the OEM look, maybe grab some relays at the yard, although the new ones are likely more reliable.

I like soldered connections too but I have to admit that, to reduce vibration failures, no OEM automobile, marine, motorcycle, or aviation system uses connectors that are soldered, all are crimped.

So . . . . whenever I cut off the tag end of a zip tie, I save that tag end and throw them into my soldering/connector/electrical box. I use them as splints which I slip under the insulating shrink tube or tape.

Place the splint so it prevents the flex that occurs at the joint of the flexible copper wire and where it gets stiff at the point of the solder.
    Last edited by johnl; 04-29-2014 at 05:32 PM.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Informative video, explained in a manner that would be easy for a novice to understand...good job
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    Now can we adopt this plan for the HVAC fan controls? That's the switch in my Charger that is looking most scorched.
    Already done.

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    Nice production - well done.

I too like those dove tailed slip together relay connectors. For the OEM look, maybe grab some relays at the yard, although the new ones are likely more reliable.

I like soldered connections too but I have to admit that, to reduce vibration failures, no OEM automobile, marine, motorcycle, or aviation system uses connectors that are soldered, all are crimped.

So . . . . whenever I cut off the tag end of a zip tie, I save that tag end and throw them into my soldering/connector/electrical box. I use them as splints which I slip under the insulating shrink tube or tape.

Place the splint so it prevents the flex that occurs at the joint of the flexible copper wire and where it gets stiff at the point of the solder.
    That's a great idea for the zip tie ends. I'm going to start doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by blk86trbo View Post
    Informative video, explained in a manner that would be easy for a novice to understand...good job
    Thanks. I try to make them for folks who don't know what they're doing at all without overwhelming people. When I first got on TD I had only changed my oil, and by that I mean dumped 4 quarts of oil in the driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Already done.

Shoot. Wish I'd seen that before I completely rewired and reinstalled my dash. I'll just add that to the "down the road" list, and in the meantime I'll keep the fan on low.

Hybrid booster

Brian,
    why did you do this for the fan control? what's wrong with the existing wiring/switch that you would need to add a relay?

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Already done.

That's a great idea for the zip tie ends. I'm going to start doing that.

Thanks. I try to make them for folks who don't know what they're doing at all without overwhelming people. When I first got on TD I had only changed my oil, and by that I mean dumped 4 quarts of oil in the driveway.

On my Charger (and several other of these cars I've seen), the wiring connectors to the HVAC fan switch are slightly melted and burned. And on my Charger especially, the metal lever on the switch gets very hot to the touch on the high setting. Clearly this means that the switch itself is not quite capable of handling the amps that the fan circuit requires- Just like the headlamp switch.

As advanced as these cars were in their day, Chryco still had a lot to learn when it came to electronics.

turbo addict

Ok I relayed my headlights. Picked up 1v on both headlights. Just did the low beams for now. Relayed the fog lights and it keeps popping the fuse for some reason. Maybe I should re wire the fogs? Get rid of the factory harness? They actually quit working on me one morning going to work and I never figured out why.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast