Thread: Slight bluish oil smoke from exhaust...

Slight bluish oil smoke from exhaust...

1984 2.2L T-1 Lebaron ragtop. Faint cloud appears at idle/operating temp. Only 107K on this Colorado rust free car! Not really noticable unless your looking at the tailpipe. Currently has Walmart Super Tech 5w30 in it after replacing bad HG that had left the crankcase oil milky. Cylinders still had crosshatching. I've only idled the replacement Walmart 5w30 oil for 20-30 minutes total since installing the new MP HG. Literally only been around the block and plan on changing oil again directly. Would Walmart 10w30 be OK? Thanks.

turbo addict

Re: Slight bluish oil smoke from exhaust...

I wouldnt use 5w30 in it anyways. Not in our turbo engines atleast.

10w30 is ok. I would do a tuneup on your car after doing a blown headgasket, mainly because of the plugs. They were burning that antifreeze prior to the teardown and they wont be as good anymore.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Especially in those cold conditions I would not use 5W30. Definately 10W30.

107k miles on a stock bottom end should be okay to smoke a tad. What to really worry about is, does it smoke at WOT or on any given load? Even at 100k+ miles you should still see the cross hatches.

If it didn't smoke before the HG change, I'd give it some time and see if it clears up on its own. I definately wouldn't run a conventional oil lighter than 10w30 and depending on the climate might consider 15w40.