Thread: SC won't fire up post head gasket change

SC won't fire up post head gasket change

Hi guys, long time no activity from me (Sorry), but now I need some advice please.

Eventually I've got around to doing have the head gasket on my 87 Shelby Charger, but I can't get the engine to fire. When I turn the ignition the engine rotates but won't fire up. So far:

I've got spark
    I've got fuel - tell tail signs on the plugs.
    As far as I know I have air.
    The cam timing is all set up.
    I've checked the starter motor (which I though could be the problem)

Have asked around on the Front-Runners Forum here in England asking Holley, but so far no joy.

I would be greatful for any suggestions that you have from all your technical expertise and past experience. Just one thing to add - the car hasn't been on the road for just over a year now - no that that should add much to the problem.

Many thanks guys.

Hybrid booster

Re: SC won't fire up post head gasket change

Do you have the ground strap from cylinder head to firewall? Hooks on passenger side (I guess that's drivers side over there ) of the intake manifold. Same with injector harness ground.. Bolts to fuel rail bolt. At least these are the locations on blow through engines. I've only owned 1 suck through, so I can't recall exactly where they are on those engines.

The starter does turn the motor over, right?

You may have the distributer 180 degrees off or off by a large amount. With the cam sprocket mark at the top, where does the rotor point? It should point to the #1 plug wire. If it doesn't, remove the distributer and look down at the notches in the oil pump gear. They should be parallel with the block.

I've worked on motors where someone was careless while replacing the oil pump and you have to put the distributer at some crazy angle to get it timied well enough to start.

Hi Glenn! Here's where I'd start:
    Verify your timing is still on-may have jumped on the initial start-up
    Pull your plugs and let them dry out, check gap and reinstall
    Check your grounds, make sure they're all clean and tight, especially the one that goes to the fuel rail
    Fully charged battery to make sure that baby is really spinning over
    If you can get a hold of a digital voltmeter check your plug wires for resistance-
    should not be more than 10,000 ohms per foot
    verify that the fuel pump is priming the system (should hear a brrupp when you turn the key, but not starting the engine)
    make sure all your vacuum lines are tight-no major leaks possible (intake manifold bolt holes?)

Keep plugging away and keep us posted G.P

^^^ the other guys type faster than me...

Thanks for your help guys.

All the earth straps are on tight (passenger side - three out of four of my vehicles are LHD).

Battery is fully charged.

Starter motor is OK.

Distrubutor points to #1 although looking at it it's not quite dead on - will alter that. Cam is all set up at TDC etc.

Fuel pump might be a good one to check as I can't hear it priming.

I'll check all the vacuum lines as they were a mess when taking the head off.

Thanks, I'll keep you guys posted as I progress(?), probably again tomorrow night after work.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Are you sure you have the right #1?

The proper cam marks are lined up? We see this alot, and its 99% of the no start problems.

Barring that, it could be stale gas, plugged injectors but if I was a betting man, I would say the cam/ig timing is out. Heck, I've even done it.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

I bought a Sprit off eBay once that wouldn't start. It had spark and fuel. Plugs got wet. Turns out the pump was still bad, though, and not creating anywhere near enough pressure.

Thank's guy for your help. I haven't had time to work it today, and now its almost 2030, the cars kept on base so I won't have any time tonight.

Maybe tomorrow!

Well eventually she fired up and has moved under her own steam for the first time in 15 months. It was the timing in the end. I was 100% sure I had it correct. The line up hole on the cam sprocket wasn't where it should have been! I took the cam cover off and did the set up initially by eye.
    Turbovanman you were 99% spot on!

Just got a few minor things to do now to get her ready for the road worthiness inspection, then she's going up for sale

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Glad you got her running,

BTW, I miss Cornwall, my parents used to take me there when I was a kid for hols,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info