Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tools

Tools

What tools do you guys consider essential for the home fab shop?
    Here's my list.
    welders
    O/A Torch
    air compressor
    die grinder
    angle grinder
    drill
    sawzall
    assorted wheels, blades, bits, and welding rods/wire
    tubing cutters
    assorted hammers
    tape measure
    calipers
    square
    wrap-a-round
    c-clamps
    vise grips
    bench vise
    soapstone
    paint markers
    cardboard sheets for patterns/templates
    that's all I can think of atm.

After I get moved into the new place, I plan to add a hi-frequency TIG welder, plasma cutter, and tubing bender to that list. Oh, and I'd give my left stone for a pattern torch, but I'll never have a big enough place to set one up.

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

Re: Tools

pattern torch, is that the same thing as a track torch?

clay
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Similar, but where a track torch just follows a straight line (track), a pattern torch has an optical sensor that will follow a pattern on a piece of paper and cut the same pattern out of the metal. It's a pretty expensive piece of equipment and all of them I have seen have been on a large scale, but who knows, maybe something will come out suitable for the home shop eventually.

Now that would be pretty sweet!!

I bought my two ultimate tools before I got married. Millermatic 210, and a Hypertherm Powermax 600

clay
    Clay
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

I'm going to have to upgrade my welder soon. I'd like to get something like one of the Linclon Ranger series so it's portable and just get a wire feeder and a high frequency box so I can stick, tig, and mig with one machine.
    That will definately happen. The tubing bender and plas cutter may just be wishful thinking unless the prices really drop or I can find them used.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

So far I've managed to fab everything I've needed with a bench vise, a hacksaw, a drill, a tubing cutter, and a couple of hammers. Aside from two welding jobs which I sourced out.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Drill press and belt sander are must-haves for me. Unfortunately, I have to go to work to use them. I don't have either in my shop at home (yet).
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Garrett booster

Zip ties and JB Weld are essential to any fabrication job I do.

-Chuck James

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame
    Drill press and belt sander are must-haves for me. Unfortunately, I have to go to work to use them. I don't have either in my shop at home (yet).
    Drill press is a good one.
    I really should quit making excuses and grab one. Last I saw, Harbor Freight had some nice deals.

we almost should look at the list in stages, like the most basic tools you need are A, B, and C. After that you need X, Y, Z. etc etc.

I mean, I bought a good plasma cutter and a welder, but I also had all the other stuff to compliment them.

but if a guy were to buy a welder, and not own a grinder, or a plasma cutter, and not even own an air compressor....... he would be SOL.

clay
    Clay
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Stevien1
    Zip ties and JB Weld are essential to any fabrication job I do.

-Chuck James

Add silicone and duct tape for mine.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

+1 for the angle grinder. As one might be able to tell from looking at my site, that is my main fab tool. Although my 3lb. dead blow hammer comes in a close second.

I too look forward to the time when I get my own place which I will be staying in for a while. A welder, plasma torch, and big air compressor will be a must.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by tonyz2897
    Similar, but where a track torch just follows a straight line (track), a pattern torch has an optical sensor that will follow a pattern on a piece of paper and cut the same pattern out of the metal. It's a pretty expensive piece of equipment and all of them I have seen have been on a large scale, but who knows, maybe something will come out suitable for the home shop eventually.
    Another variation of the optical pattern style is one that has a rotating knurled metal spindel (about 3/16" diameter) that is magnetized. You mock up a part in sheet metal, then mount the part on the machine. Swing the cutting head over the edge of the material, start the cut and move the head over to the sheet metal part template, blamo...the spindel follows the template, thus cutting the part. See my rough diagram.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flame cutter diagram.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	393  

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor jre97's Avatar

How about a metal brake, angle finder, pipe bender, lift, and a sand blasting cabinet? Let me know when you get them and I'll be doing all my projects at your house again. Not all patern torches are huge, we have a small one at work that uses alittle knurled wheel to follow a pattern and it's about the perfect size to use in a garage. Knowing my scrooge like boss it didn't cost a whole lot either, I think around $200 less hoses and regulators. We also have a nice plasma head that will fit into it and the track torch buggy.

A nice parts washer can come in handy, if your fabing on some existing parts.
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

Mitsu booster

i just got a small blast cabinet and love it. on sale at harbor freight for 80 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay
    but if a guy were to buy a welder, and not own a grinder, or a plasma cutter, and not even own an air compressor....... he would be SOL.
    I have a Millermatic DVI and no bench vise.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor Lee'sdaytona's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tonyz2897
    Drill press is a good one.
    I really should quit making excuses and grab one. Last I saw, Harbor Freight had some nice deals.
    Remember, you get what you pay for. I'm lucky enough to have my dad's woodshop at home to use which includes a Delta drill press from the 1920's. My dad put a different motor on it back in the early 70's...and that motor was probably pretty old at the time...still running. If I were you, I'd look in the local newspapers and even on craigslist.com for a good used drill press....Rockwell/Delta, powermatic, ....craftsman is ok if its an older modle....
    -Lee

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

K FOLKS

Looking to get the compressor in the next few weeks. I'm looking for recomendations on both the compressor and tools Which brand?? IR, CH, Husky?

LET me know your thoughts. compressor I am looking at a Husky- ought to add $429.

A solid CAST IRON, twin cylinder compressor pump for extreme durability. Offers 135 PSI maximum pressure and air delivery 11.7/10.3 SCFM @ 40/90 PSI. It also has a space saving vertical design that is perfect for your home garage or work shop. The compressor also includes an efficient Solberg style intake filter, pre-plumbed globe valve, pressure switch, and tank pressure gauge.

• Up to 5,000 hours of extended life
    • A CAST IRON oil-lubricated pump with traditional design that is quieter and longer lasting
    • 60 Gallon vertical, space saving tank design
    • Powerful, 7.0-peak horsepower motor provides significant air to multiple power tools
    • Automotive style changeable air filter
    • Protective belt guard
    • High quality oversized gauges
    • 1070 Pump RPM
    • Three-year limited warranty
    • Over 35 percent quieter and 60 degrees cooler than aluminum pumps with cast iron sleeves
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Personally I would find a compressor that runs 10 CFM at 90 PSI. This will run most tools with no problem.

Do NOT buy a rotary/maintence free compressor, they are so loud they will drive you out of your garage!

DO buy a piston type compressor, preferably dual stage. I would try to find one that is rebuildable (they rebuild just like any old engine) that way if it goes bad you can rebuild the compressor portion and go again. The easiest way to tell if its rebuildable is to look at the cylinders and see if they come apart easily.

As for which brand, sure IR makes a great shop compressor that is available at most places (sears, tractor supply, etc) for $1000, but for half that you can buy a CH that will work just as well, if last for a LONG time.

clay
    Clay
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast