Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1980 Dodge 024 DeTomaso

Mitsu booster

1980 Dodge 024 DeTomaso

Hey Guys,

Its been a while since I logged on here. Anyways, up here in the Arctic we have a scrap yard that is full of vintage RUST free cars (dry air + no salt = NO RUST!) I came accross a 1980 DeTomaso in relativly good shape, its got the VW1.7 and 4sp stick, its complete with no rust on it, but it has been sitting there for sometime. I will take some pics of it. I can get it for $100.00 bucks or so.

Should I scoupe this baby up? will it be worth something someday?

whats your guess?

You should see the other stuff this yard has too, makes me want to cry, its like taking a time machine back 20 years ago!

Jeff

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: 1980 Dodge 024 DeTomaso

I think you mean turismo? I would snap it up for $100 if the mounts for the 1.7 are compatible with the 2.2s.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Cool find, I've never seen any of the 024 Detamoso's in person, just pictures of them. There a quite a few unique trim pieces on the car, so if you didn't buy the whole thing I would at least see if you could get any of that stuff.

As far as what they are worth, that's a tough call. I've never seen one for sale to compare against. Probably not the best car to buy if your looking to make money, but it would be a neat bit of nostalgia.

Here's a link to Dempsey's site with a brief write-up on the Detamoso omni.
    http://www.omnilith.net/teamomni/package.htm
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Wow, that is super cool. I did not know that they made one of those. Thanks for posting guys.

Buy it, sell it to me...
    later Dick Westerhof

I would be 100% interested in the fender flares, and if the interior is black, several trim pieces, please let me know!!!!!

Mitsu booster

Hey Guys,

I am going to take some pics this week and post them up.....

Don't want to pass on this, however if I do not get the whole car, all the parts are mine as my buddy works at the yard and so swinging this will be easy!!!!

Jeff

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

i would get the whole car. then skip the 2.2 and do a TDI swap and get a big sticker that says 50mpg and post pics of that. and also run 14s, almost forgot.

turbo addict

When I was growing up my friends dad had an 024 that was in like new condition. He didn't drive it much because he was a truck driver. It had the 1.7, but it ran really well. Seemed like it was almost as good as a non HO 2.2 in terms of power and reliability. If you can get it as a whole that would be a good car to fix up and drive daily. Those older L's seem to ride better and are more comfortable in my opinion.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Mitsu booster

hey Boyz

Here are the pics of this bad boy, needs a total restro, kinda in a bad spot, but its in nicer shape than meets the eye.

Take a look at this bone yard and tell me what you think?

Jeff

http://rides.webshots.com/album/5594...ions/FullAlbum

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Not too bad...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Looks like it never had the fender flares, or they were removed.

That car doesn' look too bad, certainly fix-able based on the pictures. Neat to see that it's got same sterring wheel as a GLHS, including the leather wrapping around it.

That yard looks like a fun place!
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541

Quote Originally Posted by TurbododgePirate View Post
    Looks like it never had the fender flares, or they were removed.
    If you look at the picture of the other charger that is there, it sure looks like they are still there to me.

Hybrid booster

Very rough and would be a big money loser if restored. Thats even if you could locate parts for it.

The fender flares do look like they are missing. What looks like the shadow line of fender flares is a pinstripe.

The front spoiler is missing along with the correct wheels. Its also missing the window louvers.

While yellow paint was one of the colors offered it may be a repaint or at minimum modified. The Shelby skunk stripes over the top are not original and I'm thinking the pinstriping where the fender flares should be is also not original.

Now that I look at it again, you are right. It is just a pinstripe that is on there and not the original fender flair.

Mitsu booster

Yes, I have to do some searching on it. For $100 buxs I can't go wrong. I will have to see if these parts were taken off this car and put on another one that maybe sitting in the yard now

either way I will see what my plans are, looks like original paint, except for those strips.

I would love to perseve a bit of L body history though and stuff like this does not come around too often. Even if I have to let it sit for a bit atleast I have it.

Jeff

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by TC3Boy View Post
    Yes, I have to do some searching on it. For $100 buxs I can't go wrong. I will have to see if these parts were taken off this car and put on another one that maybe sitting in the yard now

either way I will see what my plans are, looks like original paint, except for those strips.

I would love to perseve a bit of L body history though and stuff like this does not come around too often. Even if I have to let it sit for a bit atleast I have it.

Jeff
    For a $100 you would be ok and it is a piece of history but finding parts is going to be tough. Off the top of my head I want to say they made around 1500 of them over two years.

Good luck

It could be worth a lot to the right person. A cool piece of L-body history, for sure. L-bodies are not my bag, but i could see myself cruising in a Rampage or a vintage car like this. Of course, everyone else on the road would think I was a tard, but that it pretty much the case for all of my TMs.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMopar View Post
    L-bodies are not my bag, but i could see myself cruising in a Rampage or a vintage car like this.
    Could you see yourself cruising in a Ramage with faded paint and an orange light on the roof ?

I have to say, for $100 it would probably be in my driveway. I've been trying to snag a clean 79 024 I know of for a while now, just because it's a cool piece of history and would be fun to cruise around in.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast