Thread: front end wobble...

Hybrid booster

front end wobble...

I've had a front end wobble since I built my car. I originally thought it was a wheel/tire issue, but after buying new tires and having everything balanced, it's still there. I have swapped the driver's side axle and that didn't make any difference. My passenger side axle/intermediate shaft was on my old Shadow and I didn't have this problem (axle only had 6k miles on it when removed). I'm thinking that it could be a wheel bearing assembly. I had my car on a lift earlier today to have my WBO2 sensor bung welded in and I mentioned it to the mechanic. He grabbed the wheels and moved them back and forth. He thought that the passenger side wheel had a bit more play in it than the driver's side. Thoughts?

turbo addict

Re: front end wobble...

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I've had a front end wobble since I built my car. I originally thought it was a wheel/tire issue, but after buying new tires and having everything balanced, it's still there. I have swapped the driver's side axle and that didn't make any difference. My passenger side axle/intermediate shaft was on my old Shadow and I didn't have this problem (axle only had 6k miles on it when removed). I'm thinking that it could be a wheel bearing assembly. I had my car on a lift earlier today to have my WBO2 sensor bung welded in and I mentioned it to the mechanic. He grabbed the wheels and moved them back and forth. He thought that the passenger side wheel had a bit more play in it than the driver's side. Thoughts?
    Jack up the front end and check the play in the front tires. If there is side to side play, then you may have a tie rod issue. If there is top to bottom play, then you have worn out or improperly pressed wheel bearings.

Hybrid booster

Re: front end wobble...

Quote Originally Posted by 85shelbycharger View Post
    Jack up the front end and check the play in the front tires. If there is side to side play, then you may have a tie rod issue. If there is top to bottom play, then you have worn out or improperly pressed wheel bearings.

I believe these are the bolt-on wheel bearings (newer style). Man are they expensive! I just looked at the prices, $79 + tax from Autozone for ones with a 3-month warranty. $145 + tax for ones with a lifetime warranty.