Thread: Daytona Brake line lengths?

Daytona Brake line lengths?

I don't suppose anyone knows what lengths all the brake lines on a Daytona should be? I've decided to bite the bullet and replace the lot (all original, just a bit past their best before date) but I know I'll carve most up in getting them off!

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Re: Daytona Brake line lengths?

Just bought new brakee lines stainles for $245,

http://www.inlinetube.com/DX-CAT-04.htm
    http://www.inlinetube.com/PR-CAT-05.htm

Links to the site. they do have daytona lines
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHSKEN View Post
    Just bought new brakee lines stainles for $245,

http://www.inlinetube.com/DX-CAT-04.htm
    http://www.inlinetube.com/PR-CAT-05.htm

Links to the site. they do have daytona lines
    I talked to them several years ago when all they had for us were the daytona lines. They were more than helpful, and in my area at the time too. I just put it together that those are the same people who you just went through. Glad to hear that they are still making lines for us.

$245?!

I'll just get a length of pipe (UK spec is copper) and a bunch of ends and make them up myself next to the car - total cost about $50. Usually I take old pipes to a local shop and they make a replacement to match, at about $4 a pop, but I can't do that with mangled bits, hence asking what the lengths were

Quote Originally Posted by Holley View Post
    $245?!

I'll just get a length of pipe (UK spec is copper) and a bunch of ends and make them up myself next to the car - total cost about $50. Usually I take old pipes to a local shop and they make a replacement to match, at about $4 a pop, but I can't do that with mangled bits, hence asking what the lengths were
    You must have a ton of experience bending and double flaring pipe.

turbo addict

lol i just did my brake lines too for the first time. I just bent the lines with my hands it was easy as pie. did my fuel lines too.

my mechanic gave me the lines for free so i don't know what there worth.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    You must have a ton of experience bending and double flaring pipe.
    I used to make up brake, fuel and pneumatic lines for commercial vehicles, but most of the time these days I'd rather pay someone else a couple of bucks to do it for me.

Seriously though, it only takes a couple of minutes and some common sense to learn how to make them yourself! I've never bent stainless tubes, but you can form regular brake lines made of copper or that compound metal stuff (whose name escapes me) with your fingers or accross your knee ... larger gauge stuff needs a mini pipe bender.

You guys are much more brave than I to be bending the tube by hand. I worry about cracks, and fatiguing the metal when doing it that way. especially when it comes to brake line.

Not a problem with copper line, you can bend it down to about 1" inside dia without distorting the shape

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

I've never tried to use copper for brake lines, only mild steel or stainless. While it is cheaper to bend it yourself and flare it, the products that some of the aftermarket companies supply are nice. They usually come with the gravel guard wrapped around them in the appropriate places just like the originals, and that's something most of us can't duplicate.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

True, though I've never seen gravel guard on anything other than American cars ...

By the way, the 'copper' pipe is actually a copper/nickel mix with a thick wall, it lasts a long time since it doesn't rust

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor LeGweg's Avatar

I did all the brake/fuel lines myself on my daytona. I used steel tubing. Bought a 3/16 roll for brake lines, 1/4 for fuel return and 5/16 for fuel supply.
    I did some bends by hand and also used a tube bender like this one;

I bought this tool at Canadian Tire so you guys in US probably can get it at any auto parts store. I paid 30$ or so and the same for the flaring tool kit;

It's not hard to do, just take the time to get the old ones off the car without destroying the shape too much, duplicate it on the floor and install on the car.

You guys are much more brave than I to be bending the tube by hand. I worry about cracks, and fatiguing the metal when doing it that way. especially when it comes to brake line.
    I did it like 5 years ago and I'm still alive