Thread: Chrysler Infinity sound

Hybrid booster

Chrysler Infinity sound

All this radio talk reminded me of a question I've had for some time.
    Chrysler Infinity head units are made to run with the amplified Infinity speakers. How well do they work with normal speakers?
    If they are fine with normal speakers, how much power do they put out? More than a non-Infinity head unit, the same or less?
    How about running an Infinity system car with a regular head unit? What happens?

Ron

Re: Chrysler Infinity sound

From my limited experience, the output from an infinity head unit made to work with the amplified speakers is pretty low. Closer to line level like an RCA output. In order to run an infinity head unit with regular speakers, I bet it would take an amp wired between the head unit and speakers to get any volume.

I've heard that to run the infinity speakers on a normal head unit you have to bypass the amps on each speaker and hook the speakers directly to the speaker wires for each side.
    Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

Tony

turbo addict

I did what you described with infinity speakers to get them to work in my friend's RX7.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor CSX321's Avatar

Is there more than one type of Infinity unit? I put one in my '89 CSX, and it sounds fine with the stock Shadow speakers (except that I poked through the diaphram of one of the rear speakers when I was taking the interior plastic out ).

Edit...It looks like this...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	InfinityStereo.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	4584  

Hybrid booster

I just picked up a 90 Sundance with the infinity sound system. Front speakers have been replaced with Sony 6.5 by PO. Rear 5x7s are the stock amplified ones. The amp connectors for the front speakers are just hanging there. The system sounds fine for what it is. No apparent sound difference between front and rear.

I also have a 94 grand caravan that came with the infinity CD player. Replaced that with an Alpine head unit and the installers hooked it up such that the amps still work on the speakers.

Martin
    90 Sundance
    89 horizon
    94 Grand Caravan es

Hybrid booster

I am running a non infinity head unit with infinity speakers. They sound better than before....

Joe

"INFINITY" is really just a name licensed to Chrysler. The stereos we're made by several different contractors( including INFINITY originaly). I've had Mitsubishi,Alpine and several other no name units.
    The stereos themselves put out between 10 - 20 watts / channel, depending on manufacture date. Later model 92 thru 99 tend to be the best.They feature C/D, tape,( sometimes both),EQS and better circuitry.
    The speakers suffer from UV degradation, and "high milage" just like all speakers. They are powered from a relay under the dash or console, usually on a dedicated circuit, switched by the PWR on button, or knob.
    The best Infinity speakers tend to come from high end Chryslers(the "gold" systems) on LHS,Concordes,Town&Countrys or Intrepids, and Caravans. The key is to look for an LX, or ES designation to the car. These cars had 3 in,4in,6in, and 5x7, or 6x9 speakers.The "Gold sys."speakers are reputedly capable of 50 watts /per.
    I have 4 Infinity systems that work just fine! Actually my Daughters Daytona has a 97 T&C sys that kicks a$$!

I also have a 94 grand caravan that came with the infinity CD player. Replaced that with an Alpine head unit and the installers hooked it up such that the amps still work on the speakers.

Martin
    90 Sundance
    89 horizon
    94 Grand Caravan es[/QUOTE]

SO...........What cha plan on doin wit dat ole rickety Infinity C/D unit ,Martin?

Hybrid booster

It's sitting in the garage collecting dust. CD player no longer reads CDs. Had it looked at/cleaned up but it needs a new laser. Picked up the aftermarket unit for the price of fixing it. And it plays any CD I put in it. The Infinity unit was picky, it didn't always play home burned ones.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBRUDDA View Post

Martin
    90 Sundance
    89 horizon
    94 Grand Caravan es
    SO...........What cha plan on doin wit dat ole rickety Infinity C/D unit ,Martin?[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

There are two types of Infinity radios. Infinity I and Infinity II and both can used used with regular speakers. Neither version puts out just line level.

They all put out low impedance signals intended for speakers. Whether the systems that used amplified speakers had enough oomph to drive speakers directly to a reasonable volume, I don't know. Just like many low-end amps that have speaker level inputs, there is a dummy load on the inputs so that the frequency response of the amps in the head unit don't get out of whack.

Hybrid booster

Good info guys. Thanks.

Anybody rebuild these for a reasonable price? There is one with non-functional display (radio station etc) and semi-functional eq lights. Everything else seems ok.

Ron

Mitsu booster

I had to repair the one in my son's LeBaron. I think it was bad from the factory, but nobody bothered to fix it. They will play fine without the amplified speakers. I am currently working on a gadget that will enable the connection of any MP3 player to the CD slave input on the factory head units. I have a prototype working and will be installed in my son's car next week. I will then work on the second one for use in my LeBaron (a pair of 89 TII converts).

probably something like one of these http://www.installer.com/aux/ Most of the changers that they used were Alpine, if you can figure out the wires yes you can make one

Mitsu booster

Yes, it's like those but mine will work with the radio that does NOT have the CD on/off button on the face. I've made a soft switch (momentary pushbutton with corresponding electronics) to control the head unit. It works, but I haven't made the plate for the input yet. I just found some plastic I had and will install it below the cup holders over the small "storage" area. I'll get some pics when I'm done. (oh, and $60 is a bit OVERPRICED, especialy since that should be an easier unit to connect to). I'd make a TON of profit at $35/each.