Thread: Bump stops n' shocks on a G body

Bump stops n' shocks on a G body

Since the Daytona rides like a 4x4 (still has its original struts/shocks and 12" of ground clearance) it needs sorting out, but I've got some questions.

After doing the maths I'd like to knock 1 1/2 coils off the front, and just 1 off the back. I'm quite happy with cutting the springs since I've done it before, but I'm sure sure about the bump stops.

I've got a set of '87 Shelby springs to replace the squishy '84 items and want to fit GR/2 struts/shocks while I'm at it, however I've heard that the GR/2 struts come with very long bump stops - do I need to do something about that?

Also, out back with the trunk loaded up there's only about 2" left till the stock bump stops make contact - do I need to cut them down, or will that even out thanks to the stiffer springs?

Re: Bump stops n' shocks on a G body

put them in and if you hit the bumpstops just trim them up. In the rear I would do airshocks

Thanks for the reply

Good point about the airshocks ... as for the front, I don't want to trim them if I can avoid it, but I don't want to re-fit if I can avoid it (lazy, I know )

you should be able to cut the bumpstops while they are on the car. I have done it before. Razorblade

good point

airshocks ride like crap though. Even with minimal pressure in them the back end was too stiff for normal driving. The backend just felt squirly especially over bumps in turns at freeway speeds. I got tired of mine and yanked them out.

hmm, i have never had a problem on any car, but i have yet to put them on my daytona. They are still NIB in the basement, guess its time to put them on. I am probably going to need them anyways with like a couple hundred pounds of wood, speakers and amps back there.