Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overheating..

Hybrid booster

Overheating..

Another small issue to resolve...what would cause a car to NOT overheat at idle.....but after about 10 mins of driving the temp gauge SLOWLY heats up and doesnt come back down even with the fan on...

turbo addict

Re: Overheating..

The pump? Be a bit more specific. Do you drive it for ten min then let it sit at idle and it doesn't come down? Or after 10 min of driving does it overheat and continue to be too hot while driving? So mabye check belt tension to pump.

Hybrid booster

K....I can let the car sit and idle for 30 mins and the temp gauge barley moves. Thinking that everything is alright I can drive it around the block for about 4 miles and it seems like once it starts really warming up, the gauge gets to a certain point (halfway) it will NEVER come back down. The gauge will continue to climb. I can even manually turn the fan on and it does not make a bit of difference..

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by overlordsshadow View Post
    Do you drive it for ten min then let it sit at idle and it doesn't come down?

Once it gets hot it wont come back down no matter what.....

turbo addict

Guess we need some background on this car now. Is this a new build, what kind of mix of antifreeze is in there, is the coolant system pretty clean, is this a new issue after having done something else?

Hybrid booster

Its a new build , 50/50, yes its pretty clean, I havnt done anything different to it.... Problem is I have not had alot of drive time on this car as a bought it last year and then tore it apart...I have a spearco IC up front that is blocking the radiator......I know there has been plenty of people with this setup so i dont think that would be the issue...

turbo addict

Got me stumped. Only thing I can think of now is something to do with the pump/pressure that its not making enough when driving, but I'm not sure that that explains why not heating up at idle unless mabye the guage is screwed?

if you have removed the plastic air deflectors, or whatever they call them, you could have air flowing around the rad. instead of through it. had that prob. on my tona a while back, it would only get hot when moving. just a thought.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Wrong year waterpump if you changed it, maybe the impeller rotted with it sitting, thermostat in backwards.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Well im going out to the garage to digg in....I will not let this car win!!..

turbo addict

All else fails give it a hug. Then hit it with a hammer.

Hybrid booster

hehe .....there will be a GLH in the junkyard real soon...

turbo addict

Aww dont let it die. Its gotta be something simple. Check your thermostat to see if its backwards. Like Simon said.

turbo addict

Thats why I love my billet tstat housing I got from TU. The O ring eliminates the need for buying damn gaskets just to check that.

turbo addict

I may be looking into one of those. It would look pretty cool looking and be better than stock.

turbo addict

Only prob I've run into is the mounting of the dipstick but its no biggy.

Hybrid booster

Yeh I got one too... there awseme...Ill double check to Tstat just to make sure...I got the water pump off now....

Hybrid booster

Alright ... Im kinda of stumped. The waterpump IS the correct waterpump and it is like brand new. I took the radiator out and filled it with water and the water flowed through it like it was suppose to. I KNOW its not the headgasket....THE only thing I can think is since I have a Spearco I/C blocking the radiator and I have no air dam underneath that there is not enough air going to the radiator to cool the coolant in time...Which would explain why it heats up driving highway speeds but not sitting at idle???............any input?? Oh yeh and its physically impossible to put the thermastat in wrong with the TU Billet Housing

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

That does and doesn't make sense. FWD's with an electric fan heat up pretty fast at idle, even more so in summer, and with the Omni's small rad, yeah. Was the waterpump turning the right way?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Yehh it was turning the right way

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast