Thread: Radio issues

Garrett booster

Radio issues

I'm having issues with my factory 1990 infinity radio/cassette. I'm sure it's somewhere in the wiring. Anyways it sounds like only half of the speakers are working. I'm not too hot on electrical/radio work but when I was checking around, the radio sounded great for about 5 seconds then went back to sounding like only the speakers are only putting out half of what they should. I swapped an identical working radio and it did the same thing. Has anyone had this problem before? I'm not too sure which wire(s) to trace to see what the problem is. Any help would be appriciated

Dax

Hybrid booster

Re: Radio issues

A good way to check each speakers wiring is get the 2 matching wires that you think are for each speaker. and Tap an AA battery to the wiring. It will make the speaker cause a small "pop" just from the small surge of power it's sending. Get the wires for each speaker narrowed down so you know which go where and fallow them back. Make sure the connections are all good. Your best bet would be to solder them. That will give the best sound quality. I'm not sure why it would work good for 5 seconds then sound like --- the rest of the time. But that's something to start with, make sure all the wiring is good and there are no cracks in the wiring or bare wires showing & make sure all your connections are good.

turbo addict

I would say some of the wires are probly grounding off somewhere in the radio or in your wiring harness causing it to draw off current and not send enough power to the speakers. If you can play with the fade and balance you might find its just a certain speaker or two. Check the power wiring going to the deck first and make sure its not grounding out partially anywhere.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Some of the Infinity sytems had seperate amps on each speaker, so the problem could be with the individual amps and not the deck.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

turbo addict

Yeah as Dave stated. The 1990 models had amps on each speaker. What kind of car is it? That will help you narrow down what it could be better.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]