Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Oil weight question

Re: Oil weight question

I would say that it's better than a conventional. There is also that whole thing where they are removing the zinc from our oils to improve emissions, which will increase engine wear at high-friction points, like cams. M1 has followed suit.

If you want hard-core protection, it seems like you have to pony-up for the real stuff: Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple, etc.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slasky View Post
    So is mobile 1 not any better than conventional oil? What should I use in my srt4 that is a DD? I have been using mobile 1 since the first oil change.

I would says its better but the price they charge, its not worth it. They charge as though its a group IV. I stopped using M1 after I read they had changed forumla's and the price got too expensive. I now buy German spec Volks TDI oil, its a real group IV oil and very cheap,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyZD View Post
    Anwyays. .I was just thinking that... our engines in stock form (T2 and according to mopar) have an internal pressure equal to a 450hp V8. Im jumping on the bandwagon that using anything less than 10w-30 is crazy. We aren't driving Honda's here folks. (aka we are making power).

Also thanks for the good read on the mobil 1.. I won't be buying that anymore.
    As far as Mobil 1 and castrol is concerned they are now priced 1-2 dollars more a quart than they were just a year or so ago. I'm going to switch to Royal Purple myself as its readily available at some parts stores here. So basically Mobil 1 is less effective and more expensive. No wonder the rich are getting richer and us working class guys are taking it up the A$$.
    More on topic. I know guys who have to run vacuum pumps on their high horse V8s to maintain PCV pressures. I'm talking 700 horse from a stock chevy block. O ringed etc., but same idea. I can't imagine how insanely off the engineers charts at mopar our cars go when we run over even 18 psi.
    I've also read that synthetics were used primarily in alaska and extreme climates for the longest time because they don't get thick down to around -50F depending on the manufacturer hence why your vehicle starts so much better in the winter. They maintain their viscosity just because the inherent properties of the base are superior to that of dino juice in those sorts of climates. Also from my understanding the additives maintain molecular adhesion much longer in synthetics. After reading what I have I won't use M1 again. If i'm going synthetic I want the real McCoy. As far as the crankcase pressures I think that should get a write up here and some testing. I'd definitely be willing to submit some numbers from say a high horse V8 and a car running over 20 Psi.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Mobil 1 up there is close to $40 for a 4.4L jug,
    Where as Shell Rotella is only around $15 for 5 litres. Do the math,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

I know Shell Rotella is recomended for deisel, is it ok for our cars? I keep 15w40 in stock for the deisel trucks because alot of people request Rotella. Is it class IV?

Quote Originally Posted by JDAWG View Post
    I know Shell Rotella is recomended for deisel, is it ok for our cars? I keep 15w40 in stock for the deisel trucks because alot of people request Rotella. Is it class IV?

Its for anything but recommend for Diesels due to its additive package. Its NOT synthetic but you can buy it synthetic.

It's still a conventional (non-synthetic) oil, but it's better than most other conventional oils because it still has the zinc that they took out of everything else for environmental reasons. I run it in everything I own that doesn't get synthetic, and wouldn't break-in an engine on anything else.

found this test, pretty interesting
    http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

Guess it's RP then...

Thats what I was thinking. But as much as my car leaks I cant afford it

Ha...I know what you mean. My CSX burns a fair amount...always has due to ring issues. Not gonna put RP in that.

I was pertty surprised at how well the Valvoline did, and a little disappointed in the Redline.
    Definately a good read though. RP FTW!

Ironic how Castrol and Mobil 1 had the same results,

Looks like RP or Valvoline Durablend.

I'm down with my bad self Turbo Mopar Staff Mopar_Nutz's Avatar

Great. Now I feel like I'm injuring a car if I don't run Royal Purple
    Ian
    `88 Mercedes-Benz 300E - The daily
    `92 Spirit ES - 2.5TI/523 swapped
    `89 Lancer Shelby - 2.5TI/413 stock
    `87 Shelby Charger - 2.2 with a few things done
    `79 Bronco 4x4 - Everyone needs a 4x4
    `76 Duster - Future big block stroker
    www.FWDMopars.com

Well this is just one type of test one can do with engine oil, but for high boost apps the test demonstrates that it could save your rods bearings. Probably good for your valve train too, especially if you have a slider cam.

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar_Nutz View Post
    Great. Now I feel like I'm injuring a car if I don't run Royal Purple
    You are! You must switch immediately!

I'm down with my bad self Turbo Mopar Staff Mopar_Nutz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDAWG View Post
    You are! You must switch immediately!
    *runs (not drives) to nearest Lordco*
    Ian
    `88 Mercedes-Benz 300E - The daily
    `92 Spirit ES - 2.5TI/523 swapped
    `89 Lancer Shelby - 2.5TI/413 stock
    `87 Shelby Charger - 2.2 with a few things done
    `79 Bronco 4x4 - Everyone needs a 4x4
    `76 Duster - Future big block stroker
    www.FWDMopars.com

Garrett booster

just curious, but why were different oil weights used when comparing brands, and why wasn't the race replaced?

You'd have to ask them, but I suspect it's what they found on the shelves of the stores they went to.

turbo addict

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast