Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil weight question

Garrett booster

Oil weight question

I know it's been argued on here before but for some reason I can't find it in the search. Anyway Barron and I were talking a while ago about what oil weight we put in our vans. I put in 5W30 fully synthetic and I can't remember what he said he puts in but I do remember him calling me crazy because of what I put in. So I'm going to do an oil change here in a couple days so I figured I would ask to see what everyone else thinks and what others put into their turbo Dodge's. I really don't want to hurt my van so if 5w30 fully synthetic is bad for it then I will change to something better. Thanks in advance guys.

boostaholic

Re: Oil weight question

5w30 Is good for winter time, but might be little thin for summer. 5w is the viscoity rating at 0 degrees and 30 is the viscosity rating at 212 degrees. So the lower the # the less viscoity it has, thus having a lower first # for the winter makes it easier on your engine during startup and it can suck up the oil easier when it is cold out. Instead of tring to suck up a thick oil and possibly cause damage to the bearings.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

This is my personal belief, thin oil is for joe blow consumer who drives to work, takes the kids to soccer, it has NO business being in turbo engines, especially high boost engines. Oil is the cushion that stops the rod bearings from hammering themselves into the crank when the cylinder fires. I would go no thinner than 10w40 in the summer and if its really hot, 15w50 or a 5w50. So you might lose a few HP, big deal, at least your engine will live.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

I was reading the new SCC mag this month and there is a race team that uses a 17.5w40. Have you ever heard of that?

No, but the race guys are always coming up with new stuff,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    This is my personal belief, thin oil is for joe blow consumer who drives to work, takes the kids to soccer, it has NO business being in turbo engines, especially high boost engines. Oil is the cushion that stops the rod bearings from hammering themselves into the crank when the cylinder fires. I would go no thinner than 10w40 in the summer and if its really hot, 15w50 or a 5w50. So you might lose a few HP, big deal, at least your engine will live.
    x2! Plus... thin oil has a tendency to leak in old engines. I use 5w50 in the winter (was fine in -30C weather) and I was using 15w-50 in the summer.. but can't seem to find it around anymore.

Hybrid booster

I used 5W-50, 20W50 and 60 straight in the summer, all Castrol synthetic. The later one is made specially for BMW which you can find in a BMW dealer.

turbo addict

I use 5W30 year round. ... but I have an oil cooler.
    For a non-race app I think (?)W50 is just overkill ... even in a turbo-supercharged engine. My two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by puppet View Post
    I use 5W30 year round. ... but I have an oil cooler.
    For a non-race app I think (?)W50 is just overkill ... even in a turbo-supercharged engine. My two cents.

What does an oil cooler have to do with it? 5w30 weight is thin oil, thats why they use it, for fuel economy. When your pushing 20 psi of boost, it gets squished out. 50 weight could be overkill but when your drag racing, I prefer the added protection,

boostaholic

The 50 will insure that the oil will stay on the engine parts under high speeds and not sling off like 30!

15/40 Rotella T for me, summer and winter.
    later Dick Westerhof

Hybrid booster

AMSOIL 20-50 for me. Nothing but the best for my 1988 dodge.

turbo addict

I used to put 20-50 in everything especially my older stuff that liked to leak all over the place. Since i moved up here where it gets colder i've used 10-40.

Hybrid booster

Put A Little "lucas" In It Works

yeah, i use 10w30 Mobil, and about a 3/4 bottle of the lucas. then i dump the rest of the lucas into a spare almost full bottle of mobil to keep in the trunk incase it runs low or i need to add a little. works out good.

Garrett booster

Alright well when I change my oil I will try and get 10w40 or maybe 15w50 or 5w50 if I can find it. I take it a standard oil filter will be okay with that heavier weight oil. Hopefully this will solve my oil leaking problem too.

Garrett booster

15w40 for break in or for regular use oil? I always used it for diesel engines.

boostaholic

Yea...i use that lucas stuff too...i think it works good...i've been putting in 10w30 cause my pressure is verrrrrry low when i put 5w30 in when the engine gets real hot. i think i might be putting the 10w40 in now..with the lucas...

Tom

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by QC DSM ESiT View Post
    Alright well when I change my oil I will try and get 10w40 or maybe 15w50 or 5w50 if I can find it. I take it a standard oil filter will be okay with that heavier weight oil. Hopefully this will solve my oil leaking problem too.
    What engine setup do you have?
    Why would you want to use 15w-50?

Quote Originally Posted by Greedy View Post
    What engine setup do you have?
    Why would you want to use 15w-50?

Sometimes you can't get 5w50,

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast