Thread: T2 starts when cold, won't start when warmed

T2 starts when cold, won't start when warmed

87 T2 setup, hooked fuel lines and such back up to it and tried starting it again today. Fuel system was dry so I anticipated hard starting, and it took a lot of cranking but finally it fired up, it ran fine, starting warming up normally, no stalling or studdering, ran very smoothly once I put it in gear, no unusual amount of exhaust smoke either. After running it for maybe 2 minutes or so I shut it off. Then tried restarting it and it won't start now. Well it'll start with the pedal all the way to the floor but it sounds like only one cylinder is running. I had the distributor out of it at one point, but I lined up the marks on the timing gear and did my best to install the distributor straight up. I tried disconnecting the battery and trying again, no help there. Only codes that came up were the one for battery disconnected, the usual a/c code you get when you don't have a/c and a bad tps code. I tried a different tps, made no difference, still get the code even after battery disconnect, so I suspect it's a wiring issue. Still doesn't explain why it wouldn't run after warming it up for a couple minutes??? I'll try it again tomorrow evening and see how it fires up after it's had time to totally cool down again. The thing is it ran perfectly until I shut it off.

Re: T2 starts when cold, won't start when warmed

HEP

Is it getting spark?? Hows the fuel pressure?

Garrett booster

Re: T2 starts when cold, won't start when warmed

i have a car with an EGR issue that does something similar. when it's cold it starts and runs great, but once it's warmed up it's a PITA to restart and only runs on a couple cylinders for a minute or so, then smooths out like nothing's wrong.

the CTS being disconnected or bad can also cause starting issues.