Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to add Charge Temp Sensor

turbo addict

Need to add Charge Temp Sensor

Looks like the lack of one of these for my stage 5 comp could be my problem. I have need of the parts to get this working and some info on where to install it.
    Last edited by Clay; 05-24-2007 at 11:36 AM.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Re: Charge Temp Sensor

Moved this thread to the Parts Wanted section for you.

If you have a junkyard locally, the charge temp sensors were used on the early TI cars, TII and TIV cars, and many neons, so it shouldn't be too hard to find one.

The sensor is mounted in the intake on the factory setup, but I've seen them mounted anywhere in the intake path (ie. an intercooler pipe) and work also. You'll need to connect the wiring from the sensor to the appropriate pins on the computer.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

turbo addict

Okay, EDO on friday so I should be able to find a sensor and mount it on friday, just need some info on where to connect to. Should have painted my charge pipes a week later.

turbo addict

Bump. Anyone have info on where the charge temp sensor will hook up to on my 89 2.5 stage 5 comp?

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

Re: Need to add Charge Temp Sensor

Moved to electrical section since you are now looking for info on how to install.
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

boostaholic

I am getting the Stage 5 cal done now also. Will I need to get the charge temp sensor also?

turbo addict

So Cindy says. I'll let you know if it does anything for me.

Edit: Mabye someone who does their own comp programming can tell us what net effect the charge temp sensors input does to fuel and such.

Install it anywhere. In the pipe after the IC or you can drill and tap the intake manifold like original, doesn't really matter all that much, so long as it's after the IC. Personally, I just put it in the intake like T2's had it.

turbo addict

Or an even easier route is to get one from a junkyard neon (sohc 2l) and grab the pigtail too with as much wire as possible. It's on the plenum section on the neons' intake manifold between runners 2 and 3 and has a grey connector. While you're at the yard, try to grab a 60 way connector from an older shadow/spirit/whatever. You'll need it for the pins later.

Remove a peice of your charge pipe after the intercooler and grab an O2 bung from your local exhaust shop or speed shop and have the bung welded onto the charge pipe. They have the same threads as an oxygen sensor.

As for what pin to insert the wire into the computer so it reads the charge temperature- you never mentioned what year and model car you have, so I can't help you there.

Hybrid booster

i need to do it too, mines got code 23 and someone said it will go into limp mode if you dont have it

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    Or an even easier route is to get one from a junkyard neon (sohc 2l) and grab the pigtail too with as much wire as possible. It's on the plenum section on the neons' intake manifold between runners 2 and 3 and has a grey connector. While you're at the yard, try to grab a 60 way connector from an older shadow/spirit/whatever. You'll need it for the pins later.

Remove a peice of your charge pipe after the intercooler and grab an O2 bung from your local exhaust shop or speed shop and have the bung welded onto the charge pipe. They have the same threads as an oxygen sensor.

As for what pin to insert the wire into the computer so it reads the charge temperature- you never mentioned what year and model car you have, so I can't help you there.
    Mine is a 1991 Dodge Spirit, so where does mine hook up at?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by shelby zed View Post
    i need to do it too, mines got code 23 and someone said it will go into limp mode if you dont have it
    For your 88 shelby z I'm going to have to assume because it's in your sig and the k-car looks dead. pin 21 on the 60 way of your smec. 18 gague wire. One wire from the charge temp sensor goes there, the other to a good ground. It's that simple.

Dustin, I found the above info on minimopar. It has no pinouts for 91 turbo2 cars , with good reason too. But using 1990 electronics because they're classed together- I come up with the same pin 21 with an 18 gague wire.

Hybrid booster

thanks shadow 88, im gonna do it tommorow

boostaholic

Thanks

turbo addict

no problem. Sorry to hear about your luck overlordshadow.

Hybrid booster

does it matter which wire?

turbo addict

nope, the charge sensor is simply a resistor. It will read the same resistance no matter what way the wires go. Send the other wire to a good ground.

Hybrid booster

i did mine, and it still has the code. switched wires, everything. its grounded to the fpr stud

turbo addict

What size drill bit and what size npt tap do I need to use?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by shelby zed View Post
    i did mine, and it still has the code. switched wires, everything. its grounded to the fpr stud
    If you're sure you have it wired properly, I'd call Cindy if I were you. I find it strange because mine worked perectly 1st time when I went to t2 electronics from t1. (It's the only thing I had to change)

Overlordshadow- It's really simpler to just install it in the charge pipe between the cooler and tb. Same thread as an o2 sensor, whatever that may be. But then again, It seems the head is coming off your car anyways, so it can be done as long as the little bits are all cleaned out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast