Thread: Fuel cut with stage 4 cal?? wtf?

Hybrid booster

Fuel cut with stage 4 cal?? wtf?

1987 shelby charger

Stock turbo
    Ported intake manifold (So I was told when I bought it).
    Accufab AFPR
    3'' exhaust
    non intercooled
    12 lbs of boost
    FWDPerformance Stage 4 cal w/ 3 bar map
    +40's
    Walbro 255 fuel pump

With the stage 4 cal the car will still randomly fuel cut. I was under the impression that the map sensor caused fuel cut and the 3 bar map was good for up to like 23 lbs+ or boost or something like that? Are there other possible causes to make the car fuel cut? The car is running rich. I know it is. I dropped the fuel pressure down to about 50 static for now until I hook up the intercooler. But I can't imagine the intercooler would make that huge of a difference on the air/fuel ratio. So if that's the case once I hook it up (Just got it in the mail today), I'm still going to fuel cut randomly when I try to run higher boost.

It's not a HUGE deal right now, but I plan on rebuilding the motor and going forged soon, at which point I'll want to run 20-25 lbs of boost. If I'm going to be fuel cutting that's just no good.

The car fuel cut earlier when I was flooring it in 2nd gear, when it fuel cut it popped the boost gauge line off the rubber holder they supplied me with (I gotta replace it w/ the flare fitting thing you can buy). So I pulled over about a 1/2 mile down the road(not immedietly), turned off the car, fixed it, and then the car wouldn't start because I assume it was flooded. Waited 15 minutes and it fired right up. So my assumption was that it flooded it w/ gas.

So wtf is causing it to fuel cut? I've got all the proper things to disable fuel cut. Even if, I'm only running 12 lbs of boost. When I had the stock map & computer anything over 10 lbs of boost I would constantly fuel cut. Now I have the 3 bar map and upgraded cal and I still fuel cut and I'm only running 12, which even with the stock setup shouldn't have caused fuel cut.

Oh yea. I installed a vac block with all brand new vac lines. I was having the problem before and after I did that.

Btw, checked codes. No overboost cutout code.

Codes:

12 (Battery has been disdconnected not that long ago)
    15 (Speed sensor code, Gonna change that soon, that couldn't cause fuel cut though could it?)
    35 (Electric fan w/ manual switch)
    51 (O2 sensor went bad again because I'm running rich and it's fouling out the sensors. Fuel cut happens regardless of brand new o2 sensor or fouled out bad one).
    55 (End)

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Re: Fuel cut with stage 4 cal?? wtf?

I don't see 45, so it's not fuel cut. Scott that sounds like a fuel miss. Way too much fuel, it can't be burnt so you're not getting full combustion, causing the miss. What's your WB saying? 10:1? Stock 27's can handle up to 16psi, and you're using 52's, that right there is enough to tell you it will run poopy. Lower that pressure quick or you'll end up washing down the walls. Or intercool it and turn the boost up.

Hybrid booster

It feels exactly like the overboost fuel cut does. The power loss light comes on. It falls on it's face. Completely dies for a second.

I know the stock injectors can handle more boost than I'm running but the stage 4 cal is setup to make the +40's run like stock. So they shouldn't be overkilling THAT much. But I was pegging my WB 10:1.. SO I guess I'll just turn down the fuel pressure even MORE.

Hybrid booster

Have you already talked to Cindy or anyone else at FWD Performance about the ecu? That is where you need to start if you haven't.
    12 psi was in fact boost cut on some LMs. It might be possible the LM was mis labeled.
    On the fuel pressure and rich condition, are you setting the pressure with the vacuum line off of the FPR? If not it would result closer to 60 psi static fuel pressure. It could also be something as simple as a ground or other wire breaking connection when the motor starts to move from torque at 12 psi boost or vibration.
    Do you have any pictures from under the hood such as vacuum routing, etc....?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Stratman View Post
    Have you already talked to Cindy or anyone else at FWD Performance about the ecu? That is where you need to start if you haven't.
    12 psi was in fact boost cut on some LMs. It might be possible the LM was mis labeled.
    On the fuel pressure and rich condition, are you setting the pressure with the vacuum line off of the FPR? If not it would result closer to 60 psi static fuel pressure. It could also be something as simple as a ground or other wire breaking connection when the motor starts to move from torque at 12 psi boost or vibration.
    Do you have any pictures from under the hood such as vacuum routing, etc....?
    I'm going to give them a call right now. I set the fuel pressure to 50 with the vacuum line disconnected.

I did buy a grounding kit that I need to install to make sure my grounds are a-ok. But I'm going to give cindy a call now and see what he says.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Cindy's a girl.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Your speed sensor can cause it and you are setting the code. Fix that and I bet it will be ok.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Your speed sensor can cause it and you are setting the code. Fix that and I bet it will be ok.
    Cindy said because my charge air temp sensor isn't hooked up and my intercooler isn't hooked up yet... The cal is setup for a certain charge temperature which I'm running hotter than that since no intercooler. And when the temp sensor tries to read the temp it can't since it's not hooked up. I just need a T2 radiator then I can hook up my intercooler. And once I rebuild my motor I have a new ported intake manifold that has a spot for the charge air temp sensor also so I can hook that up just gotta get it done soon then hopefully that will fix the problems.

That won't make it cut out.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hybrid booster

It might be possible IF the ECU is considered to be in Limp mode with the Charge Temp not connected. The calibration has a seperate overboost shutdown table for limp in mode. I'm just not sure if the Charge Temp sensor not connected will put it in a limp mode or not.
    The sensor not being connected will make it pretty rich though.

Maybe Cindy has it setup like that but if the CAT sensor isn't hooked up, it just runs rich and puts the power loss/ses light on.

Hybrid booster

Well. I'll hook up the intercooler and charge air sensor within the next couple of days and we'll see how it goes from there. It's something to start with.