Thread: Internal options.

Hybrid booster

Internal options.

I want to rebuild my 86 2.2 block to support more power.

I've got a TU built head, ported intake & exhaust manifolds, stock new turbo.

I want to run 25ish lbs of boost.

I don't want to spend $2000 rebuilding the motor when I've spent all this money on the car everywhere else already. Can't really afford an extra 2-3k to rebuild the motor.

What options do I have? I don't want to get stock cast pistons & rods. T2 rods I hear are strong and people run the with pretty high power and no problems. What kind of pistons can I get? Forged are $400-500 and I can't afford going that route. But I don't want stock cast pistons that will break if I detonate at all.

Anyone got any ideas? I've been looking around but haven't found anything yet.

turbo addict

Re: Internal options.

My thoughts are get forged pistons before anything else, then T2 rods. I'll assume you will do rings and bearings with it.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Whorse View Post
    My thoughts are get forged pistons before anything else, then T2 rods. I'll assume you will do rings and bearings with it.
    Yea rings and bearings. T2 rods, I'm just looking for a safe reliable piston option that isn't $450ish for a set of pistons. If there's nothing else that will be safe to run that much boost with I'll go forged. I just don't want to have to spend that much on the motor rebuild when I've spent so much already

turbo addict

I've looked into it a bit myself as I'm a cheap bugger, and as far as I can tell it's forged or hope you don't detonate at all. You could try stock Mahles and save a bundle, and if your tune is good be ok.

Hybrid booster

Well I guess I'm going forged. I was just hoping there was some sort of slightly cheaper but still strong piston option to go with.

turbo addict

Someone on here mentioned a cheaper forged piston but there was a lot of debate about it. I don't think anyone will deny that forged is a safer bet.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Whorse View Post
    Someone on here mentioned a cheaper forged piston but there was a lot of debate about it. I don't think anyone will deny that forged is a safer bet.
    If you are talking about the cheap forged thread, they don't make those anymore apparently.

turbo addict

Thanks for the update. Most people running Wisecos seem really happy with them for street use, probably best bet?

Hybrid booster

wisecos are wicked, try and find a used set

turbo addict

There was a guy on here selling a set of forged JE's and T2 rods cheap as in the price of rods alone practically. There were 20 over though.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by WickedShelby88 View Post
    There was a guy on here selling a set of forged JE's and T2 rods cheap as in the price of rods alone practically. There were 20 over though.
    Yea but there were like 3 people in line in front of me. I had seen that post. I don't mind 20 over I am rebuilding my motor completely and was planning to bore it over regardless.