Thread: dodge neon thinking of putting in 2.2 turbo from a shadow es

Mitsu booster

Question dodge neon thinking of putting in 2.2 turbo from a shadow es

hello i have a 2dr neon motor done i was thinking of taking my 87 shadow turbo motor and droping in my neon is that a good idea or bad what am i looking at for horse power?

turbo addict

Re: dodge neon thinking of putting in 2.2 turbo from a shadow es

That depends alot on how much power you want and how good you can fabricate mounts, fuel return line (with tank modifications), electrical systems, exhaust, basicly everything. The neon engine can make impressive power even when naturally aspirated. And the 2.2l T1 (stock in your shadow) made 145 ish. It's not tough to get the power to rise quickly on the 2.2l. but difficult to swap into a neon.

I evenyually want to do this swap as well, so if you decide to do it, take alot of pics and alot of notes.

On the other hand, I have a buddy with a 95 sohc 2l all motor neon that ran 14.1 1/4 mile times and it is for sale. That would be the super easy way to have a quick neon. I don't know the price, PM me if interested.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Welcome to the forum

The '87 shadow turbo motor is a log manifold, suck-thru T1 (unless that shadow was a CSX then it is a blow thru motor)... The suck-thru T1 can make decent power but would need to be upgraded to a blow thru with intercooler added for real potential. The 2.2L 8 valve engines can be built to 400+whp...

If the 2.0L in the neon is in good running condition and you want a turbo on it, it would be best to just to turbocharge it. If you run low amounts of boost thru a small turbo, the stock internals will handle it. If you want to make power tho, you will need new pistons and rods for sure. Since the 2.0L is a 16v it had the potential to make more power then the 2.2L 8V...

There are 2.2L 16v options as well, either from low production 2.2L runs or you can do some mods to get the 2.0L 16V head on the 2.2L...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Mitsu booster

i need a new motor for the 2dr anyways it's done head and the timing are done and the valves are bent on 2.0l so everything should swap for 2.2 turbo or find a 2.0l and turbo it i found a turbo for sohc but it's 3000

Mitsu booster

there is guy on some neon msn group it put a 2.2l turbo in his neon he has pics he said it was hard but when he was all done it 300hp i just want a fast neon lol my consin takening the shadow but i get the motor anyone now how much it would cost to swap and do i need the computer out id the shadow

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

what trans in the car?

what year car? I ask cause the legality of ecm swaps varies by state/province.

i would actually do a 2.4L swap with SRT internals and a turbo. more compatible and works with either transmission, auto or manual. even getting a SRT turbo and manifold would work well. then id swap in the older td wiring/ecm and have someone do a cal for the car. that be the easiest id think. megasquirt is pretty good too.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Mitsu booster

the neon is 1995 5spd trannysohc and the shadow is an 87 4spd manual

oh man, thats the perfect combo for the swap. 95 so its not OBD-II and its already 5-speed. id definitely do the 2.4L with SRT internals and turbo. makes for a fun little light car.

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Mitsu booster

srt-4 motors are going for over 1200 canadian cant afford it

Mitsu booster

and whats obd-II

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

OBD-II is in reference to 1996 and newer electronics. The acronym stands for On Board Diagnostics. The neons were the first cars to meet OBD-II standars, even before 1996...

What color and how many doors is the '87 Shadow? I collect them if they are the right color

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Mitsu booster

red 2 door with a sun roof so i should get a 2.4l turbo or go with the 2.2 turbo if i did what would i need?

i didnt say SRT motor... i said 2.4 (ie stratus/cirrus/breeze/96-97 caravan) and SRT internals (rods and pistons) which are DIRT cheap. basically the same as a SRT motor for much less. then get some 2.0L DOHC cams.

Brian

Mitsu booster

oh i get it now ya i ca afford that would i used a srt-4 turbo or get an after market one

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by dulmage View Post
    oh i get it now ya i ca afford that would i used a srt-4 turbo or get an after market one
    Depends hom much you want to spend. i am getting an srt engine soon and will be selling the stock turbo/mani

Mitsu booster

if you selling the turbo how much?

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

PM sent

Mitsu booster

i'll think about it