Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random TIII related questions

Random TIII related questions

I've got a bunch of random questions about TIII engines and the cars they came in. Instead of continuing to clutter up the TIII section with a post for each question, I figured I'd just start one thread to ask them all as they come to me.

#1: I've been wondering this since I got the Spirit. It's obvious that a 16v engine is going to need to breathe a little better than an 8v. With that in mind, why the hell did Chrysler hang a turbo with a .48 exhaust side on it? It seems to me that the stock turbo on a TIII is about like a mitsu on a 2.5. In other words already near it's limit with the car in stock form. Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't make much sense to me.

#2: The tach in my Spirit works occasionally for a second and then quits. It almost seems as though the mechanism or needle is binding up on something. I'd like to pull the instrument cluster out and check to see if that's the case. What all is involved? I've owned 5 TM's over the past few years, and haven't had the dash apart on any of them other than changing a radio, so I'm not even sure where to begin.

#3 Were there any MP computers available for the R/T, and if so are they still available or ns1? If they're ns1, does anybody have a copy of the .bin file so I could burn a chip with the MP cal on it? Better yet, would somebody be willing to burn the cal to a chip and mail it to me? Of course I'd be willing to compensate for time and the chip.

#4 Are the TIII valve cover gaskets a dealer/vendor item or has anybody had any luck finding them at a parts store?

#5 A '91 Spirit R/T should have 11" front rotors right? I need to order a set, but I don't want to jack it up and pull a wheel just to measure. I'd rather wait until I have the parts in hand.

That's it for now. I'm sure there will be more to come.
    Thanks in Advance,
    Tony

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Blue Iroc R/T's Avatar

Re: Random TIII related questions

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hanna View Post
    #4 Are the TIII valve cover gaskets a dealer/vendor item or has anybody had any luck finding them at a parts store?

#5 A '91 Spirit R/T should have 11" front rotors right? I need to order a set, but I don't want to jack it up and pull a wheel just to measure. I'd rather wait until I have the parts in hand.

Thanks in Advance,
    Tony
    #4; The TIII Valver Cover Gaskets are a Dealer ONLY part. They were out of stock for a while, but last year they made another run of 1000 pcs. So, you might want to get some while they are still available. However, the design of the gaskets is pretty good and they ARE re-usable.

#5; I believe the Spirit R/T's did have the 11" brakes, but since I have never owned one, I will let someone else confirm that for you.
    Ralph Scott

93 Daytona Iroc R/T
    www.pbase.com/rmscott

Tow Vehicle/Daily Driver:
    02 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4
    http://www.pbase.com/rmscott/ralphs_dakota_quad_cab

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

I've got a bunch of random questions about TIII engines and the cars they came in. Instead of continuing to clutter up the TIII section with a post for each question, I figured I'd just start one thread to ask them all as they come to me.

#1: I've been wondering this since I got the Spirit. It's obvious that a 16v engine is going to need to breathe a little better than an 8v. With that in mind, why the hell did Chrysler hang a turbo with a .48 exhaust side on it? It seems to me that the stock turbo on a TIII is about like a mitsu on a 2.5. In other words already near it's limit with the car in stock form. Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't make much sense to me.
    Its called no lag, makes for a nice streetable car.

#3 Were there any MP computers available for the R/T, and if so are they still available or ns1? If they're ns1, does anybody have a copy of the .bin file so I could burn a chip with the MP cal on it? Better yet, would somebody be willing to burn the cal to a chip and mail it to me? Of course I'd be willing to compensate for time and the chip.
    None from MP but Cindy has a couple.

Cindy has them and well and Fredericksons on Ebay. I am going to use RTV and let it setup, I don't want to spend that kind of money.

Thanks in Advance,
    Tony
    Correct. I got some nice zinc coated, CD rotors off Ebay, around $60-$70 for the pair.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Thanks Ralph!
    Hopefully somebody can confirm #5 so I can go ahead and order the rotors. The brakes are all that's keeping me from getting it inspected and 100% legal to drive.

Thanks Ralph!
    Hopefully somebody can confirm #5 so I can go ahead and order the rotors. The brakes are all that's keeping me from getting it inspected and 100% legal to drive.

Ahem, are you blind? see my post,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Ahem, are you blind? see my post,
    Check the post times. You beat me to the punch. I hadn't seen your post before I posted that one.
    Thanks Simon!
    Tony

Just thought of another.
    #6: Where can I get red wrinkle paint that's close to the stock red on the valve covers?
    Brand, part# and store where purchased please.
    Thanks,
    Tony

I have some VHT SP-204-C

its supposed to be close. I haven't painted mine yet so I don't have any more info,

I have some VHT SP-204-C

its supposed to be close. I haven't painted mine yet so I don't have any more info,
    Thanks Simon! Do you know offhand if any of the chain stores (Advance, Autozone, Napa) carry VHT? I'll have to see who sells the stuff...
    Thanks Again,
    Tony

They should carrry it, Jeg's, Summit do.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I'd prefer to buy it locally if possible (no sense in paying shipping if I don't have to) if not, I'll try Summit or Jegs.

And another...
    #7 Does the TIII swingvalve housing use the standard Garrett 5 bolt pattern? In other words, if I were to pick up some random hybrid turbo with the standard 5 bolt turbine housing, could I bolt the swingvalve off of my stock turbo on it and run the stock downpipe?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

No, the TIII swingvalve is integrated into the turbine housing kinda like the TI Mitsu turbo. It uses a standard 4-bolt turbine flange to mount to the manifold, but the turbine discharge flange is a three bolt setup that is unlike any other turbocharger I have seen. No standard Ford/Chrysler swingvalve/O2 housing will work with the TIII turbocharger.

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    No, the TIII swingvalve is integrated into the turbine housing kinda like the TI Mitsu turbo. It uses a standard 4-bolt turbine flange to mount to the manifold, but the turbine discharge flange is a three bolt setup that is unlike any other turbocharger I have seen. No standard Ford/Chrysler swingvalve/O2 housing will work with the TIII turbocharger.
    Thanks Jeremy, I figured as much, but I wasn't sure. BTW, did you get my PM about the transmission? I saw over on TD where you were looking into running a 523 on a TIII a couple years ago and I'm curious if you ended up going through with it and what's involved?
    Thanks Again,
    Tony

And another...
    #7 Does the TIII swingvalve housing use the standard Garrett 5 bolt pattern? In other words, if I were to pick up some random hybrid turbo with the standard 5 bolt turbine housing, could I bolt the swingvalve off of my stock turbo on it and run the stock downpipe?

What Jeremy said. To run another turbo on a TIII, you need a T3 flange and then you can either run a 5 bolt housing and buy the FM Elbow if available or V-band etc.

boostaholic

I have some VHT SP-204-C

Simon is right the VHT will get you close but if you spray over it with a PRB touch-up spray you will get it as close to stock as I have been able to. Here is a pic of how close it is. The top is the bottom of a snorkel plate(preserved perfectly from the elements) and the bottom is one I did.......

That looks nice!
    I'm assuming if I use PRB as a top coat, then it's not really going to matter what color the wrinkle paint underneath is right? The reason I ask is that the only color wrinkle paint I can find locally is black.
    Thanks,
    Tony

turbo addict

If you have an O'reilly auto parts near you they can order it. I have 3 more cans on the way. Next day delivery- no shipping charges. Go to VHTs website, there have a list of carriers for each state.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Thanks Jeremy, I figured as much, but I wasn't sure. BTW, did you get my PM about the transmission? I saw over on TD where you were looking into running a 523 on a TIII a couple years ago and I'm curious if you ended up going through with it and what's involved?
    Thanks Again,
    Tony
    Yup, I got it but it looked like everything I knew was already gone over by other people (that know more than I do) already. I decided not to modify an A523 for my Spirit R/T and instead got a A568/A523 hybrid from Cliff to replace the bad A568. I think Jackson and Cliff have a jig..

Thanks Ray.
    Unfortunately no O'reilly's around here, just Advance, Autozone, and Napa (No Auto Parts Available ).
    Autozone does carry a very limited supply of VHT, but no red wrinkle paint. Maybe they can order it? I think I may try base coating it with the black wrinkle paint for texture, then going over it with the Duplicolor PRB equivalent, or maybe wrinkle, then gray primer, then the PRB if the black doesn't want to cover well. We'll see what happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast