Thread: Compatible Springs

Garrett booster

Compatible Springs

What other springs can be used on my daytona? It is a '88 shelby z. I am looking to upgrade my springs and have seen different springs on the web but i was wondering if any car uses the same spring? How do people usally lower these cars? I have heard chopping springs isn't too bad. Opions?

Re: Compatible Springs

basically anything except the caravan and L body. The Shelby Springs are pretty good already, alot of people have cut a wrap out of the front to bring the gap down. Not sure who is still making lowering springs for these cars

turbo addict

Eibach has them still as does a couple other companies but I cant remember off the top of my head. I was looking for upgraded springs but all I could seem to find in the aftermarket were lowering springs.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Garrett booster

yeah I am looking for lowering springs. Any brands you found? I have looked into Eibach but they are quite pricey and really don't lower enough for me liking. I like my car to be low! I mean not like super no performance low but like low enough they you really don't see any room between the fender and the tire but still the fender doesn't over lap the tire.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

getting that lowering is easier said then done. honestly, i would either cut some eibachs or skip straight to a coilover conversion. even with the coilover conversion you're limited as to how much travel the stock-type struts will have at those ride heights and pricey koni's are the only dampers that will hold a decent spring rate with decent control.

I have MP springs that I'm probably going to be selling soon...not sure how much yet though. They're on the car now and really lowered it. Handles much better than it did with the Eibachs on it, but the ride is kicking my --- on the DC metro streets I drive on a lot.

Garrett booster

definetely shoot me out a price when you decide to sell them. I am willing to spend a decent amount of money on them. Also could you post some pics for your car? Is there any place you could still get them? I have a feeling that they stopped selling them before I could even walk.
    Last edited by Jasmeleg08; 05-18-2007 at 10:39 AM.

[QUOTE=Pat;163014]I have MP springs that I'm probably going to be selling soon...not sure how much yet though. They're on the car now and really lowered it. Handles much better than it did with the Eibachs on it, but the ride is kicking my --- on the DC metro streets I drive on a lot.[/QUOTE

What are you using for struts with those MP springs? I'v tried KYB's and now running Bilstien's and they are terrible. Car bounces all over the place

try Monroe Sensatrac? I know everyone hates them but every fwd car i have lowered thats what i put in, cut springs, lowering springs, cheap ebay coil overs, whatever

Im trying to dig up some info but iirc, the dirst gen neon struts bolt in with monor mods, the are an inch shorter, thats an inch right there, then you could get some neon coil overs, back is gravey, just weld on some universal coil over mounts and put some springs on, run air shocks on the back and adjust to how you want it to ride

Garrett booster

cool if neon struts work that would be awesome. Please get some info on them.

looking, look around on www.boostedmopar.com, they have a bunch of stuff about using the daytona knuckles and first gen neon struts on L bodys with minor mods, but trying to find if the neon struts will bolt up to the EEK cars easily (J,P,G,K, etc basically everything except the S and L body)

Garrett booster

I wonder if you can just the stock neon springs. I am still kinda comfused on what to use on the rear. Air shocks are kinda iffy. I could just end up chopping the springs in the rear to match the fronts.

stock neon spring on the G struts i dont think will work, the top and bottom mount the spring wont seat right, if you do a little fabbing i am sure the first gen neon strut/spring assy will work, i just cant remember exacly what is different, thats what i am trying to find, thing that scares me about the rear is basically if you cut them the only thing that is holding them in is the car's weight, that would suck if they popped out hitting a big rut in the road

Hybrid booster

lower the front and inch and leave the rear alone. the front end always seems high on our cars and the front suspension geometry is screwed up if you lower it too much!

not really, ever lowered a geo? That thing was so far off i couldnt hardly drive it to the alignment shop. Every Chrysler car I have lowered has been pretty good to me

Garrett booster

I lowered my last car a Ford Probe GT with Intrax springs and it drove awesome. Handled like it was on rails. I also lowered a buddy's Buick Regal GS with also Intrax springs and it handles like ----. Sags like no other in the back and just bounces everywhere. It all depends on the car.

How compressed are the rear springs with the shocks in? I mean I would have to imagine that just by taking enough to get it down an inch it wouldn't affect it too much. But it could look pretty cool if I ran stock 1gen neon struts in the front and lowered it an 1 inch or so thus to induce a rake.

This is the look I want to achieve:

All the other stuff has been done to the car just for the lowering. I did that in photoshop.

[QUOTE=nomadman2001;163167]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    I have MP springs that I'm probably going to be selling soon...not sure how much yet though. They're on the car now and really lowered it. Handles much better than it did with the Eibachs on it, but the ride is kicking my --- on the DC metro streets I drive on a lot.[/QUOTE

What are you using for struts with those MP springs? I'v tried KYB's and now running Bilstien's and they are terrible. Car bounces all over the place
    Monroe Formula GP's all around. Blasting through the twisites, it's great. It's just too hard of a ride for the area that I live/drive in.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

1st gen neon struts are *4* inches shorter than K struts. huge difference. 2nd gen neon struts the difference is not so severe. either one can probably be adapted with some work. however if you are going to the trouble of converting your front struts to something else you should go mostly for one that will be centered at your ideal height and has the best aftermarket choices. Some of the parts store websites list lengths and travels for struts by app.