Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overheated the Spirit

Overheated the Spirit

It got pretty hot while I was trying to get all the air bled out after installing the new radiator. I just attributed it to an air pocket under the thermostat. It finally did open and I got the cooling system bled and it was fine. At least until this morning. After making the 3 mile trip to mcdonalds for some breakfast, I noticed it was running hot (really hot) as I got home. Since the car had been sitting for quite some time, I decided to check the thermostat to make sure it wasn't stuck. Removing the thermostat housing quickly revealed the problem. The thermostat wasn't stuck, it was installed backward!
    It's now back together with a 180* stat (in the right way!), just lacking refilling the coolant, but I can't help but wonder what the chance is that the head or headgasket was hurt because of this. I have no way of knowing how long the car has been run with the thermostat backward but judging from the old thermostat gasket, I'd say quite awhile.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Tony

Hybrid booster

Re: Overheated the Spirit

Tony,

Pull the temperature sensor out of the T-stat housing when you fill the system. It's the highest point, and fill until a little coolant dribbles out the sensor hole. Then put it back in. You may also want to drill a 1/16" hole in the t-stat while you're at it.

I've had my IROC R/T get *REALLY* hot when the rad fan when south on me last summer in traffic. It's been fine since. I'd say run it unless there's something obviously wrong, but keep an eye on the temp gauge and the cylinder head for a while.

Hybrid booster

when you re-did your stat, did you drill any holes in it?

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

Was the coolant deflector still in there? It is in the same hole as the t-stat isn't it?
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by mcsvt View Post
    Was the coolant deflector still in there? It is in the same hole as the t-stat isn't it?
    Deflector is down in the waterpump flange behind the pump.

Sounds like the car just had a big air pocket behind the t-stat.

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

Ok sorry for the confusion on my part.
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Thanks guys!

I drilled a 3/32" hole in the new thermostat and made sure it was at the top when I installed it. I got most of the air out running it with the cap off and feeding it coolant as necessary, then threw together the rig in the picture to take care of the rest. It's sitting idling now and self bleeding as I type this. I did make sure the fan was cycling properly, and it wasn't getting hot before I came in the house.
    I figure since air travels to the highest point in a system, this should take care of it.
    I am starting to get a little worried though as it's been running like this for quite awhile now, and it still shoots a small stream of bubbles for a few seconds shortly before it heats up enough to kick the fan on. Hopefully that's just steam...
    Tony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	airbleed.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	4378  

turbo addict

Oh my, shade tree and redneck to the max. I like.

Quote Originally Posted by overlordsshadow View Post
    Sure man, I live in WV. Home of the hillbillys.
    Seriously though, at least I'm getting some use out of that res. I bought it to use on an alky system I never got around to building, and then decided it was too small.

Cars on iv, dont feel bad mine has been in the same spot for 3 years, part of the game!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by turboking View Post
    Cars on iv
    1500 cc's of ethylene glycol STAT!

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor jre97's Avatar

Oh My! You have no idea. I've known Tony for over 10 years and he personifies the shade tree redneck.

Quote Originally Posted by jre97 View Post
    Oh My! You have no idea. I've known Tony for over 10 years and he personifies the shade tree redneck.
    I don't know about that, but I do know there's often more than one "right" way to do something, and doing what you can with what you've got is king.

turbo addict

Well I'm not puttin anyone down. I did my last engine swap outside of the garage. But I guess i've been spoiled that way as we built out garage when i was 14 and i've been able to use it since.

Well I'm not puttin anyone down. I did my last engine swap outside of the garage. But I guess i've been spoiled that way as we built out garage when i was 14 and i've been able to use it since.
    I've got a pretty nice garage myself, it's just so full of junk right now you couldn't drive a car in it with a wrecking ball.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

It doesn't take much to pop a head gasket. If the old owner drove around like that then honestly, I would say that a head gasket job is in your very near future. If you plan on taking some trips with the car, I would do it now before it leaves you stranded in the middle of nowhere.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    It doesn't take much to pop a head gasket. If the old owner drove around like that then honestly, I would say that a head gasket job is in your very near future. If you plan on taking some trips with the car, I would do it now before it leaves you stranded in the middle of nowhere.
    I'd actually planned on doing the head gasket and timing belt as preventive maintenence. I was just hoping I could put it off for awhile as there are a few other things I wanted to take care of first (rotton left front floorboard, trans swap, brakes, rod and main bearings, etc.).

what radiator did you end up using?

I ended up buying a new (Transpro/Readyrad) radiator from Advance. It's the one they list for an '87 Shelby Charger.

ehh, so its a T1 rad? Im trying to find something so I dont have to cut. Kinda want to keep the car origional. What worst is 90 is the only year for my rad, the 88older t2's dont fit quite right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast