Thread: 89 minivan swap to 99 caravan

Garrett booster

89 minivan swap to 99 caravan

how much trouble is it to swap an 89 turbo drivetrain to a 99 caravan with a v6. my wifes 89 is starting to show its ugly rust. i can get a99 v6 caravan with a knock for very cheap. i also have a 94 stripper with a na 2.5 if any of them parts would assist me. anyone done this before?

turbo addict

Re: 89 minivan swap to 99 caravan

Never done it but I would LOVE to but a turbo motor in my dad's 99 caravan. A close look at it and I think custom mounts and axles as a minimum for custom fab parts. Also, with the position of our intakes and exhaust, I don't know if you'd be able to get it far back enough to line up the wheels in the wheel wells properly. It would be a much nicer project for sure though.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

It could fit but it will take work. The motor mounts will need to be custom made, you need to figure out the wiring or run standalone. It will be a tough project but with time and money, could be done. An easier solution would be to bolt in a SRT or PT Cruiser powertrain,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    It could fit but it will take work. The motor mounts will need to be custom made, you need to figure out the wiring or run standalone. It will be a tough project but with time and money, could be done. An easier solution would be to bolt in a SRT or PT Cruiser powertrain,
    is the 2.4 closer to a direct bolt in? or would fabbing of motor mounts still be required? im aware the engine would have to run off its own computer with watever drivetrain i use or a standalone. what scares me is the mounts.

The 99's came with 2.4L's so the SRT engine is a bolt in.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    The 99's came with 2.4L's so the SRT engine is a bolt in.
    wow! i can almost taste it.

Quote Originally Posted by slm90vnt View Post
    wow! i can almost taste it.

If I ever replace my current van, thats the route I will be going, newer van with an SRT engine, big turbo,

turbo addict

well the srt mounts are a little different, but 96-99 came w/ a 2.4 and 3spd auto. I swaped that setup in my Spirit, You can buy srt internals pretty cheap and the motors are solid

Quote Originally Posted by Speedeuphoria View Post
    well the srt mounts are a little different, but 96-99 came w/ a 2.4 and 3spd auto. I swaped that setup in my Spirit, You can buy srt internals pretty cheap and the motors are solid
    Yeah, I know, but theres mounts available, so its basically a bolt in,

Garrett booster

i looked at the van last night and it is very clean and lots of options. rear heat and stuff like that. the wife loves it even if i put another v6 in. which is surprizing cuz she loves her turbo mini. it was like pulling teeth when i drove it to carlisle last year. but she got to cruze in the srt4 which only has 1800 miles on it.