Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motor Turns But Won't Start

turbo addict

Motor Turns But Won't Start

I'm going to try and fool around with my ignition timing more tomorrow, but maybe someone can chime in with something I might've missed.

Motor is together, and i just want to make sure it runs before I hook up the rad and a bunch of other stuff.

Set the crank to TDC, checked at the #1 plug and the timing window shows 0 degrees. Distributor pointing at #1 plug wire. Cam gear lined up so the arrows on the two side holes are pointing right at the mating surface of the #1 cam cap.

There is fuel pressure, and when I turn it over, sometimes I get a bit of a pop but it never fires up. Any thoughts? Hep connections seem good, and the hep cap, and rotor were on the car before and it ran.

Hybrid booster

Re: Motor Turns But Won't Start

Are all the grounds on?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Whorse View Post
    Cam gear lined up so the arrows on the two side holes are pointing right at the mating surface of the #1 cam cap.
    ... and the small hole on the gear is up on top? All GND's in place?

turbo addict

I'll recheck the grounds. They should be good, and I have replaced the one from the intake to the chassis. The one to the side of the head is there, and the one to the chassis from the negative terminal is there. The small hole is pointing up and slightly back. I thought I was 180 degrees off so I checked it a couple more times and pulled the #1 plug to see if the piston was up.

Hybrid booster

try the map sensor, mine did it too

turbo addict

Shouldn't the timing be set to 12? Just put my motor in and tried it at zero first.... didn't work lol

turbo addict

The ignition timing should but but isn't that adjusted after the car is running with a few sensors disconnected?

Hybrid booster

i just set my gun to 12 and then the line is at zero, and if i set it at zero its at the 12 line but mine wouldnt start and was doing that popping sound cause i had the vacc line to the map sensor off

turbo addict

Anyone who said ignition timing give yourself a pat on the back. Turned the distributor a bunch and it fired up.

turbo addict

Update. Had the car running, but I can't see the timing mark with the timing light, and the distributor is turned pretty hard counter-clockwise to get it to run reasonably. Off by a cam tooth perhaps?

turbo addict

Would say so. Had the same problem with mine few weeks ago. The mark could be just out of site though. I know mine had enough movement to make the mark go just out of site. Moved a tooth (not sure clockwise or counter) then was all good.

turbo addict

Nope it was just off. I reset everything again, had the timing out a tooth probably, but even if it wasn't, redid it all, put in a new distributor cap, and right now I have the distributor about 45 degrees counter-clockwise to get it to read 12 degrees advanced. Runs alright, however; fan scheduling seems to work, doesn't overheat (wow intakes on non-intercooled cars get HOT!) and it idles nice.

turbo addict

Well done. I guess that's the white lebarron that's now running?

If you want to make the distributer look perfect..no...forget it...it runs.

turbo addict

I don't really want to pull the distributor out to align it. It's fine.

Hybrid booster

Sounds like the aux. shaft is not lined up, or the oil pump gear is off. I wouldn't pull the oil pump and reindex it unless it really bugs you. With the 2 wire coolant sensor unplugged the timing notch should be at 12 deg.

turbo addict

Yep yep and yep. Happy with the motor now, just need to find a way to get the caliper mounting bolt into the bracket that is cast into the steering knuckle. Somehow got stripped and I do not want to be replacing knuckles to fix this car.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I don't really want to pull the distributor out to align it. It's fine.
    You don't have too, slide off the timing belt, move rotor to where you want it, then slide timing belt back on.

Yep yep and yep. Happy with the motor now, just need to find a way to get the caliper mounting bolt into the bracket that is cast into the steering knuckle. Somehow got stripped and I do not want to be replacing knuckles to fix this car.

Helicoil's.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Again, I don't have the equipment and tools to do that and my car isn't making it to your shop without it being fixed. I will see if I have a tap that sized and try to run it through the hole to clean it up.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Again, I don't have the equipment and tools to do that and my car isn't making it to your shop without it being fixed. I will see if I have a tap that sized and try to run it through the hole to clean it up.

You don't need tools except a long philips to reset the timing belt and what special tools? you buy a Heli-coil kit and all you need is a drill and some basic hand tools.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    You don't have too, slide off the timing belt, move rotor to where you want it, then slide timing belt back on.

Helicoil's.
    Have you ever worked on a engine where someone didn't line up the oil pump gear, and had the aux shaft pulley off to compensate? It can be a weird one to figure out if you didn't know what was going on. I usually line up the dots, and then have the distributor at a weird angle so no one gets caught off guard again.
    I was going to say Helicoil also. I just did a caliper bolt last week as a matter of fact......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast