Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Spirit R/T which shifter cables fit?

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

Re: Help! Spirit R/T which shifter cables fit?

I think Cliff is going to be "offline" until the end of the month, ~22nd. Just a warning. You may want to PM Chris for a quicker response.
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Quote Originally Posted by mcsvt View Post
    I think Cliff is going to be "offline" until the end of the month, ~22nd. Just a warning. You may want to PM Chris for a quicker response.
    Thanks Gary, but I honestly don't know if this is anything worth bothering the Ramsdell's over. I honestly think it's just going to be a matter of measuring the location of the hole on the 568 and drilling the 523 case in the same spot. I might build a jig to help get it exactly right if it's necessary, but more likely I'll just measure the location of the hole on the 568 and drill the hole in the 523 based on that.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

I'd get it exact as you can. The timing can vary if it thinks TDC is actually just a couple degrees off. A jig is a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

The was someone on the mailing lists and on TD a few years ago that I used to chat with often out of NY. I think his name was Ed Hollander? He had an R/T with cracked case that was swapped out for a 523 and someone drilled/tapped the case. Moparturbo I think was his username on TD.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Thanks Steve. I'll probably go ahead and build a jig then.
    Back on the shifter cables for a moment... The Shadow cable was actually just a hair longer than the Spirit cable. I have no idea why, but I'm not complaining. It fits like a glove. Now I just need to figure out something for a bushing on the trans side. The other cable had some sort of shim driven into it and was using the same size bushing as the shifter end. I'd rather go with the right size bushing if I could, but I need to figure out where to get one.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hanna View Post
    Well, from reading old posts on TD (the one I linked to and others), it looks like all 523's 'should' have the boss there, just undrilled. Neil Emiro mentioned that even some of the 555's have it as well. I confirmed this on the 555 that came out of John's Daytona. I also saw where Cliff R. mentioned that the 523 and 568 share the same case. Taking that into account, it makes sense to me that the 523 would have the boss too. It wouldn't make sense from a cost perspective to cast 2 seperate cases one with the boss and one without.
    I thought the 523 came out before the T-III engine. I should look again because I know of 2 that I thought didn't have it. I've never heard of a 555 that had it either. The weird part is "the book" shows 1 part no for a 520/555 case, and 2 for the 523/568. And a third for the 543. I hope you're right, because the 523's are alot easier to find. I just located the jig off the 2 bellhousing bolt holes, and the timing was the same as before. (that was a non R/T 568 case I did in the past) I guess a boss could be welded on also. The depth would be easy to figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboJerry View Post
    I thought the 523 came out before the T-III engine. I should look again because I know of 2 that I thought didn't have it. I've never heard of a 555 that had it either. The weird part is "the book" shows 1 part no for a 520/555 case, and 2 for the 523/568. And a third for the 543. I hope you're right, because the 523's are alot easier to find. I just located the jig off the 2 bellhousing bolt holes, and the timing was the same as before. (that was a non R/T 568 case I did in the past) I guess a boss could be welded on also. The depth would be easy to figure out.
    I honestly don't know at this point, I'm just going by what was said by others. I do know of at least one 555 (John's) that has a boss in the proper location. I just wish I'd taken the time to look at that 523 in the junkyard a little closer.
    However it works out, it shouldn't be too hard to do. Even if there isn't a boss there it would still just be a matter of drilling the hole in the right spot. Like you said, the depth would be easy to figure out. I'm thinking just measure the depth the sensor comes through inside the bellhousing on the 568. Assuming the bellhousing would be a little thinner without a boss there, it would simply be a matter of shimming under the sensor (washers on the hold down bolt between the sensor and bellhousing) until the depth was right.
    I'll know more when the Ebay stuff sells and I have the money to grab the trans.
    Thanks,
    Tony

Hybrid booster

I honestly don't know at this point, I'm just going by what was said by others. I do know of at least one 555 (John's) that has a boss in the proper location. I just wish I'd taken the time to look at that 523 in the junkyard a little closer.
    However it works out, it shouldn't be too hard to do. Even if there isn't a boss there it would still just be a matter of drilling the hole in the right spot. Like you said, the depth would be easy to figure out. I'm thinking just measure the depth the sensor comes through inside the bellhousing on the 568. Assuming the bellhousing would be a little thinner without a boss there, it would simply be a matter of shimming under the sensor (washers on the hold down bolt between the sensor and bellhousing) until the depth was right.
    I'll know more when the Ebay stuff sells and I have the money to grab the trans.
    Thanks,
    Tony
    Well, You're in luck! I just got pictures from a good friend in San Diego and it looks like they all have the boss for the CPS. Looks like the 523's are even more appealing now. BTW the 555's have it too as one pic is from a 555. I can't believe I never saw it before DOH!

Well, You're in luck! I just got pictures from a good friend in San Diego and it looks like they all have the boss for the CPS. Looks like the 523's are even more appealing now. BTW the 555's have it too as one pic is from a 555. I can't believe I never saw it before DOH!
    Nice! That'll make the drilling considerably easier than trying to start a bit on a sloped surface.
    If you don't mind, post up the pics. I'm curious to take a look at them.

Also, while I'm thinking about it, the '90 523 has a small spline input shaft right? I think the car that the trans is coming from is a '90. What does that mean for me? Am I just looking at a new clutch disk to fit the small spline shaft, or is there more to it than that?
    Thanks,
    Tony

Hybrid booster

Nice! That'll make the drilling considerably easier than trying to start a bit on a sloped surface.

Also, while I'm thinking about it, the '90 523 has a small spline input shaft right? I think the car that the trans is coming from is a '90. What does that mean for me? Am I just looking at a new clutch disk to fit the small spline shaft, or is there more to it than that?
    Thanks,
    Tony
    If you get into replacing the clutch disc and decide to do the pressure plate at the same time, be aware the TIII takes it's own pressure plate. Use the wrong one and the car won't start. Should be OK with just the disc swap.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottmon View Post
    If you get into replacing the clutch disc and decide to do the pressure plate at the same time, be aware the TIII takes it's own pressure plate. Use the wrong one and the car won't start. Should be OK with just the disc swap.
    That's the thing, I hate to fool with the clutch at all. It feels like it's got a fairly new clutch in it already. Might have to though depending on which input shaft the 523 has. If I end up needing a different disk, what do you think about a 6 puck disk from clutchnet? I figure something like that with the TIII pressure plate should make for a reasonably strong clutch.

Hybrid booster

Thanks,
    Tony

I had problems with uploading the 555 one I try to see if he will take yet another pic......

I had problems with uploading the 555 one I try to see if he will take yet another pic......
    You don't have to worry about the 555 on my account. I've seen the boss on that 555 that came out of John's Daytona. Thanks for the pics!
    Tony

Hybrid booster

I'm building a 520 and noticed it also. Their everywhere!!!!!! (the CPS bosses)
    The top pic is a 568 in a car. The second one is a 523........

That definately opens up some options. Especially for people wanting TIII engines in other cars.
    It looks like it won't be too big of a job to build a jig for locating the hole either. I figure I'll come off the little hole by the timing window with a piece of angle drilled to bolt into the little hole and the corner bellhousing bolt hole. I can cut the verticle leg off of the angle past that and put an "S" bend in the horizontal leg so it lays flat over the CPS hole in the 568. Then all I'll have to do is mark it and drill. After that, it should just be a matter of bolting the jig onto any transmission and drilling the hole.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Lotashelbys View Post
    Not until now. I don't know how I missed it with all the searching I was doing over there.
    Your design for the jig looks alot nicer than what I had in mind. Nice work!

A little update for all of you that have been following the R/T 523 project. It's in, the CPS works fine, and (thanks in part to you guys) everything involved in making it work went rather smoothly. I also owe thanks to John (jre97) as he did a large share of the work (I'm lazy ).

The only downside is that my $150 junkyard 523 is a dud. It's quiet as a mouse, and shifts great into 1st through 3rd and 5th. 4th gear is a different story. The second you let the clutch out in 4th it pops out of gear and grinds. If you use excessive force, sometimes it will stay in gear and act fine. If it was affecting 2nd and reverse, I'd almost believe it was a shift cable issue but they're both fine, and there's no adjustment in the selector cable on the 523/568 anyway. Returning the trans is no big deal, but that was the only 523 they had. So now I'm faced with the decision of returning the 523 and calling other yards or ripping into it to fix the 4th gear issue (I'm guessing a shift fork and a new syncro would set it right).
    Anyhow, enough of that. Here are some pictures from the install.
    Thanks again for all the help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cpsjig.JPG 
Views:	193 
Size:	373.1 KB 
ID:	4436   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drilled.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	330.3 KB 
ID:	4437   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	truckcrane.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	391.8 KB 
ID:	4438  

Hybrid booster

Good work on the jig! sounds like the fork pads might be wasted on the 3-4 fork. Or the one adjustment is favoring 3rd gear. I had this on a 568, and it was the adjustment. Others have been those plastic fork pads....

Good work on the jig! sounds like the fork pads might be wasted on the 3-4 fork. Or the one adjustment is favoring 3rd gear. I had this on a 568, and it was the adjustment. Others have been those plastic fork pads....
    I don't suppose there's an easy way to get at the pads to replace them is there? John and I spent the whole long weekend working on this thing, and I'm a little bummed that I'm going to have to pull it all back apart. I really wish I had access to an FSM that covers the 523/568 so I can see what I'm getting myself into.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast