Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Spirit R/T which shifter cables fit?

Help! Spirit R/T which shifter cables fit?

After finishing up with the radiator, I took the title for the Spirit to the DMV and got a set of tags, so it's now insured and licensed. With only one thing left to do before it's completely legal. The dreaded state inspection... Now I haven't been to bed since I climbed out of it yesterday morning, so I was really looking forward to either getting an inspection sticker or at least a list of what needs done to pass so I could come home and go to bed. Well, fate was having none of it. Just as I turned onto the road to the inspection station, the shifter cable broke. Anyhow, to make a long story longer, I managed to lose my arm in the mess of crap underhood and get the trans shifted into gear so I could limp it home. Now here it sits. The Sundance is still up at John's, so the Spirit is my only legal means of transportation. I need to get it fixed quickly. So, if I can wrangle a ride to a junkyard, what cars have a cable that will be the right length for a Spirit with the right end for a 568? I'm guessing anything 568 or 523 (or a Neon?) will have the right ends, it's the length I'm not too sure about.
    Thanks in advance,
    Tony

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Blue Iroc R/T's Avatar

Re: Help! Spirit R/T which shifter cables fit?

Sorry, I can't answer what all might be compatable for length, but are you sure the cable it broke? Could it just be that you lost one of the "U" clips at the bracket on the Tranny? Or the gromet bushing on the cable end? I can't get to my web site from here at work, but I have a pic of the cables & Clips on my site. From the main page www.pbase.com/rmscott, go down to the third row (maybe (4th) on the left hand side. Click on the Parts gallery. Then Click on the Dark Blue FSM gallery. Then look fo the page for the TIII Shifter linkage. Sorry, I can't drop you a direct link right now.
    Ralph Scott

93 Daytona Iroc R/T
    www.pbase.com/rmscott

Tow Vehicle/Daily Driver:
    02 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4
    http://www.pbase.com/rmscott/ralphs_dakota_quad_cab

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

I think your right on with the 568/523. I don't think you will run into length issues.

Only thing I wonder is if the cables from a V6 mani will work... 543?

Edit:
    Ralph is right, make sure it didn't just come off somewhere first.
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Thanks guys, but I'm pretty sure it broke. The end of the cable is laying in the driver side rear floorboard.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

i got a brand new cable from napa in sept 06 for i think $55. they fit beautifly and they got them the next day for me. if you are putting them in i would recomend putting in the urethane bushings right away cause the stock ones have too much give and have a tendency to fall apart.

Well, I talked to John earlier, and he's going to drive down and give me a ride up there tonight after he gets off work. One of the yards near where he lives had a P body or 2 with 523s. Hopefully we'll find a good cable there. If not, I guess I'll have to order one from Napa or Advance.

Garrett booster
    Surrey, BC (aka car theft Capital of Canada)

I have one from a 568 RT if you don't find one. thnx.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hanna View Post
    Well, I talked to John earlier, and he's going to drive down and give me a ride up there tonight after he gets off work. One of the yards near where he lives had a P body or 2 with 523s. Hopefully we'll find a good cable there. If not, I guess I'll have to order one from Napa or Advance.
    Don't use the P-body cables...they are shorter.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post
    That's what I was afraid of. So, what am I looking for? 90+ 5 spd Daytona, Lebaron, Sprit, or Acclaim?

How sure are you about this? The reason I'm asking is that the part # for the replacement R/T cable by Dorman is 16653 according to the alternate parts thread here. That's also the same cable that Advance lists for a '91 4cyl Shadow, as well as a '93 V6 Shadow, a '91 4cyl Daytona, and a '93 V6 Daytona.

It makes me wonder what's going on. Are there 2 different length cables and the aftermarket is only making the "long" one, or are they all the same from the factory?

Edit: Here's a list of everything this shifter cable supposedly fits from the Dorman/Motormite website. https://www.dormanproducts.com/cgi-b...tegory_list=:0

Hybrid booster

They've consolidated the part no's so 1 size fits all. (it will be extra long in a P body)The og cables are actually different though. The P bodies are by themselves, the G/J bodies are by themselves, and the AA bodies are by themselves. But The G/J body cables will fit the AA's. I've done that swap before.

Hybrid booster

Tony, one thing you will rapidly learn about working on TIII cars: The parts books (except Chysler's) are usually wrong. Best thing is to ask around and see if anyone has purchased and physically used the part before buying one.

Yes, I grabbed some cables from a spirit I believe it was... years back and swapping out my old P-body cables I lined up these and they were longer. I ended up using my other shadow cables I had.

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

Well crap. I just grabbed a cable from a Pbody because that's all they had.
    Oh well, it wasn't very expensive ($15) so it's not like I'm out much if it can't be made to work. I guess if I can't use it, I'll just order the right one.

While I'm at it, the 568 in the Spirit is making some bearing noise. The JY that I got the cable from quoted me $150 for a 523. What I'd like to do is pull the 568 before something goes seriously wrong so that I can have it freshened up when money allows. I'm curious if the 523 case has the hole, or at least a boss I can drill for the crank sensor? I didn't think to look while I was there. Also, what would I need to do for a clutch? I'm not sure if the input shaft is the same between the two or if I'll need a different disk...
    I probably should have started a different thread for this, but I figured one of you guys might know.
    Thanks,
    Tony

Hybrid booster

There's no boss on the 523's I've seen for the CPS. Maybe there was???? I remember there always being a big deal to find an R/T specific case when it broke. (or weld it)

Quote Originally Posted by TurboJerry View Post
    There's no boss on the 523's I've seen for the CPS. Maybe there was???? I remember there always being a big deal to find an R/T specific case when it broke. (or weld it)
    Well in that case, I wonder how hard it would be to measure the location of the CPS in the 568 and transfer the measurements to the 523 so I could drill the hole in the right location? I would imagine it would have to be fairly precise or the ignition timing would be off. Maybe I could even get creative and make an elongated slot for the sensor to make the base timing adjustable.

John's running some Supercoupe parts (supercharger, etc) on Ebay for me. When the auction ends, I'm going to use the money to go ahead and pick up the 523. Even if I can't use it in the R/T, it'll still be handy to have for the Sundance.

Edit: I just found a thread over on the other board about the same thing. Looks like it'll work.
    http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f11...tiii-a523.html

Hybrid booster

Maybe the '92+ 523's had the CPS boss? They should hold the power also. I don't recall any real difference in the internals between the two. I know the 523 can handle a 8 valve Spirit running 12's for many passes and street miles also.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboJerry View Post
    Maybe the '92+ 523's had the CPS boss? They should hold the power also. I don't recall any real difference in the internals between the two. I know the 523 can handle a 8 valve Spirit running 12's for many passes and street miles also.
    Well, from reading old posts on TD (the one I linked to and others), it looks like all 523's 'should' have the boss there, just undrilled. Neil Emiro mentioned that even some of the 555's have it as well. I confirmed this on the 555 that came out of John's Daytona. I also saw where Cliff R. mentioned that the 523 and 568 share the same case. Taking that into account, it makes sense to me that the 523 would have the boss too. It wouldn't make sense from a cost perspective to cast 2 seperate cases one with the boss and one without.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hanna View Post
    Well crap. I just grabbed a cable from a Pbody because that's all they had.
    Oh well, it wasn't very expensive ($15) so it's not like I'm out much if it can't be made to work. I guess if I can't use it, I'll just order the right one.

While I'm at it, the 568 in the Spirit is making some bearing noise. The JY that I got the cable from quoted me $150 for a 523. What I'd like to do is pull the 568 before something goes seriously wrong so that I can have it freshened up when money allows. I'm curious if the 523 case has the hole, or at least a boss I can drill for the crank sensor? I didn't think to look while I was there. Also, what would I need to do for a clutch? I'm not sure if the input shaft is the same between the two or if I'll need a different disk...
    I probably should have started a different thread for this, but I figured one of you guys might know.
    Thanks,
    Tony
    Smart move. Most people choose to keep running it and then when the poop hits the fan, they blame the car.

I heard that there is indeed the boss on the 523 for the crank sensor. Cliff Ramsdell can elaborate but he's not online much.

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

Smart move. Most people choose to keep running it and then when the poop hits the fan, they blame the car.

I heard that there is indeed the boss on the 523 for the crank sensor. Cliff Ramsdell can elaborate but he's not online much.
    Thanks Steve!
    It'd be hard for me to blame a car with close to 200,000 miles on the clock. The way I see it, it's done it's job well, and is deserving of some much needed TLC.
    From reading through some old posts on TD, iTurbo was looking into a swap like this a couple years ago. I didn't see if he ended up doing it though. I PM'ed him a link to this thread. Hopefully he'll fill us in on the details.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast