Thread: Intermitant starting problem

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Intermitant starting problem

I had a problem several months ago with my 90' shadow where there would be no power when I would turn the key forward either to the run position, or to try and start the car. After a few attempts, or when I would open or shut the dor hard, or perhaps when I was wiggling the wires coming off of the battery terminals it would eventually fire up. I replaced the starter and the problem went away.

Today I got a code 12, 41 and 55. There was a time a couple of days ago when the voltage was a little higher than usual, but I don't know that this would play into the situation at all.

The battery terminals are clean.

Would a faulty starter cause me to get no voltage like this, or was I throwing parts at the problem a couple months ago, and accidentally solved the ture problem for a short time?

I had a hard time getting my rig fired up this morning, and I am now at school sans tools, so I could sure use some advise.

Re: Intermitant starting problem

loose connection on a wire or corrosion of the terminals will cause this problem start with the battery connections first. cycling the key will sometimes overcome the connection allowing it to start.

Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar View Post
    loose connection on a wire or corrosion of the terminals will cause this problem start with the battery connections first. cycling the key will sometimes overcome the connection allowing it to start.
    OK, I might try to replace the terminal ends with some newer ones. I would immagine that the 17 year old ends might need replacing anyway. Thanks.

If anyone else has some suggestions I am pretty open.

Check your grounds!

one of my fusible links that was replaced prior to me was causing a similar prob.
    the dash and trouble lights(oil, CE, ect) would not come on, nor would it crank.
    i soldered the connections today, and all seems well. it was also missing the firewall to intake ground, which i added at the same time. so, very well could be your grounds too.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Yes, definetly have a look at the terminal ends and also check for resistance between the terminal ends and the 60 way connector. Given that your problem occurs occasionally and that doorslamming etc solved the issue I would suggest that your problem is to find with those two wires. Be carefull when trying to loosen the terminals. Mine were so bad that with a touch they broke. But not only those ones, but the entire alternator connector!
    Let's play cars.....:bump2: [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2909181"]Visit my ride[/URL] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just an update, I think it is the terminal ends, as messing with them several times seems to have solved the problem for now. I think I will procrastinate some more on it and see how long it takes until I am hoofing it.