Thread: Knuckle swap

turbo addict

Knuckle swap

Does anyone know off the top of their head if I can use some 89 spirti steering knuckles in place of the ones from a 91 shadow. The k frame, control arms, and struts are all from a 91 shadow but the wheel bearings are bad and I have an 89 spirit k frame with good hub bearings but I know the bearings themselves won't swap so I was looking to just swap in the knucks if that won't throw things off too much? Otherwise I guess I could swap the control arms too if I have to. I plan on putting the CS struts/springs back on either way.

Joseph
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Re: Knuckle swap

They will bolt up, but not be correct as the knuckles and control arms are designed as one unit. Roll centers are changed.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

No, it will move the axles out and on it can cause the inner to come apart. If your car has dual pivot stamped control arms already, then you can put on the cast control arms and use the 91 knuckles. You will need the calipers and brackets also, reuse your old brake lines. This is also an easy way to upgrade to 11 inch fronts, either find a Grand mini or large bolt pattern grab the calipers and brackets and buy new rotors for a R/T.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

i will post here as i have elsewhere: i run mismatched arms/knuckles on my aries with a literally bottomed out front suspension and dont have axle problems. thats as extended as they are ever gonna get.

turbo addict

Well I will just try the 89 arms and knuckles then as they already have known good hub bearings. Will the brake calipers from the 91 shadow running gear work on the 89 knuckles. The brackets are still on them. If not I guess I will just end up swapping the 91 parts onto my 88 Z eventually and use the 88 calipers which I know will fit.

Joseph
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Hybrid booster

no...the bolt spacing for the caliper bracket is different as well (wider on the newer knuckles). i'm going to 91+ on my k wagon to get away from the older stuff (i'm also running spirit rt brakes). much less hassle to just pick up some new bearing assemblies and slap them on than to pull the whole front end and de-engineer it! save the older parts for another project.

turbo addict

Well since the stuff from my spare K frame won't work because of the year difference I figured I'd have to go a different route and realized hey I have a 94 base model caravan and those have the same bolt circle dia. as a shadow of the same year which is where the K frame on my car came from. Sure enough the hub is the same part no. Bearing noise will be no more with a simple swap! Its nice to have parts vehicles.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

All 91 and up cars and Caravans except large bolt pattern use the same wheel bearings. All use the same control arms, the knuckles do swap but the vans have a shorter turn radius. I am using car ones and the wheels rub. Obviously, K-members from a van won't work in a car and vice versa,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info