Thread: Iroc R/T - 29.87 MPG

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Blue Iroc R/T's Avatar

Thumbs up Iroc R/T - 29.87 MPG

Well, I drove the Iroc R/T to Muncie, Ind. last weekend and got 29.87 MPG. Ran A/C most of the way and had the curise set at 72 mph. 308.5 miles on 10.328 gal. of Sunoco 94. This included about 40 miles of running around at the destination and a couple relatives wanted a Spirited ride into the triple digits. I was hoping for 24/25 mpg. The R/T is basically stock except for the Titanium Valve Spring Retainers. Still running the original exhaust. I haven't filled up since I go home to figure the milage on the return trip.
    Ralph Scott

93 Daytona Iroc R/T
    www.pbase.com/rmscott

Tow Vehicle/Daily Driver:
    02 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4
    http://www.pbase.com/rmscott/ralphs_dakota_quad_cab

turbo addict

Re: Iroc R/T - 29.87 MPG

Nice!!!
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

WOW!

Although mine would probably be up there if I didn't drive it hard

Hybrid booster

I've been able to get 26 mpg mixed driving out of my '93, and it's a 2.5 TIII to boot. So...these cars *ARE* capable of pretty decent mileage.

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

Sounds like great mileage!
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

That kicksass!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Garrett booster

Ive got +40's, Stage 3 cal, exhaust, blah blah blah and I get around 27 in the city and 30 on the freeway. And thats not staying out of the boost, thats just normal driving hitting boost pretty often. I just check yesterday, 13.05 gals took me 347 miles of city driving. Im really impressed...27MPG and it runs mid 13's Soon to be in the 12's!

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Evil View Post
    Ive got +40's, Stage 3 cal, exhaust, blah blah blah and I get around 27 in the city and 30 on the freeway. And thats not staying out of the boost, thats just normal driving hitting boost pretty often. I just check yesterday, 13.05 gals took me 347 miles of city driving. Im really impressed...27MPG and it runs mid 13's Soon to be in the 12's!
    Wow, I didn't realize you got that good of mileage with that car Matt. Just imagine if it wasn't in a car that weighed 3200lbs

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scottmon View Post
    I've been able to get 26 mpg mixed driving out of my '93, and it's a 2.5 TIII to boot. So...these cars *ARE* capable of pretty decent mileage.
    I thought Cliff built the only 2.5 TIII, and I would be the 2nd, pretty cool,

Whats your setup?

29 mpg, I could only wish. I am hoping when I get my van done, I'll get at least 20 mpg or it will be parked most of the time and just drive it for fun and towing/camping duty. My 8 valve averaged 13-15 mpg,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post

Whats your setup?

29 mpg, I could only wish. I am hoping when I get my van done, I'll get at least 20 mpg or it will be parked most of the time and just drive it for fun and towing/camping duty. My 8 valve averaged 13-15 mpg,
    You must drive a lot of city. My van (fully loaded ES) pulled about 22mpg, and that was running 2800rpms at 60mph through the mitsu and stock (restrictive) exhaust. That was about a 50/50 mix of city/highway. I haven't checked it with the 555 yet, but rpms at 60 dropped to 2400 and it has a T2 Garrett on it now so I'm shooting for 25+ in a MINIVAN!

turbo addict

My bone stock Spirit R/T gets right at 30 on the highway averaging about 75. My Daytona was about the same when stock but what surprised me was Cindy's Stage 3 cal. 33 mpg averaging 80+. I couldnt believe it. FMIC, 3" cat back, stock turbo.

Im pretty sure these cars were rated at like 22 city 30 hwy on the window sticker so these are right on.

turbo addict

Best I ever got was 23-24.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by DeckSetter View Post
    You must drive a lot of city. My van (fully loaded ES) pulled about 22mpg, and that was running 2800rpms at 60mph through the mitsu and stock (restrictive) exhaust. That was about a 50/50 mix of city/highway. I haven't checked it with the 555 yet, but rpms at 60 dropped to 2400 and it has a T2 Garrett on it now so I'm shooting for 25+ in a MINIVAN!
    My auto has it spinning at 3300 or so at 60 mph, 75 is around 39-4000 rpm.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post

Whats your setup?

I had Dave Grove build it for me before he passed away. He talked me into going the 2.5 route, as he'd done the same thing with his '92 IROC R/T. Has +20 injectors and 3" FM full exhaust, Venolias, etc.

Word of advice on the Venolias for anyone who tries to build a 2.5 TIII. The rings that come with the pistons are not correct. We used 1900cc Isuzu piston rings and it works like a champ.

I would have built it myself, but with my time constraints plus Dave being the only other person I would trust to work on my stuff I just farmed it out to him. Haven't had a chance to do other mods yet either. Just no time.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor j4278h's Avatar

My 90 van gets around 27.5 mpg mixed driving. Its a 568 with 3.85 fd, triple core intercooler and 2.5 side exit exhaust. I also managed 3 dragstrip passes on the last tank and got a 13.85 with it.

Not too bad for a van that has less than 600 total into it.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by j4278h View Post
    My 90 van gets around 27.5 mpg mixed driving. Its a 568 with 3.85 fd, triple core intercooler and 2.5 side exit exhaust. I also managed 3 dragstrip passes on the last tank and got a 13.85 with it.

How much boost? 600 bucks? Thats awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottmon View Post
    I had Dave Grove build it for me before he passed away. He talked me into going the 2.5 route, as he'd done the same thing with his '92 IROC R/T. Has +20 injectors and 3" FM full exhaust, Venolias, etc.

Word of advice on the Venolias for anyone who tries to build a 2.5 TIII. The rings that come with the pistons are not correct. We used 1900cc Isuzu piston rings and it works like a champ.

I would have built it myself, but with my time constraints plus Dave being the only other person I would trust to work on my stuff I just farmed it out to him. Haven't had a chance to do other mods yet either. Just no time.
    Hey, can you PM me what you did, I am curious how he built it. Don't want to plug up this thread. I am getting custom Wiseco's,

I was talking to David Grove when my idea was a twinkle, lol!

Garrett booster

+20s, hybrid 50 trim, plugged up fuel filter... 33mpg from PA to KS for SDAC-16. I was getting over 460miles to a tank.

Best of the event was a 14.9

... so you make some sacrifices.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by j4278h View Post

Now That's what I'm talkin' about!

got new tires on mine today, expect a mileage report within the week...