Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it bad on LM to weld on the car?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

Is it bad on LM to weld on the car?

Yesterday, after finishing the tranny swap in my nieces car, I needed to relax a bit. So, I pulled the 'tona in the garage to finish welding up my IC mounts. I pulled the battery out, amongst other items, and did some welding on the radiator support. When I got it all back together, the car wouldn't start. Then I noticed there was NO check engine light EVER. Well, I've seen that before, so I plugged in my spare LM and drove the car home.

This was my last socketed LM, so now I have to do some soldering.

Should I have removed the LM before welding? Or was it just a coincidence that it happened at that time?

turbo addict

Re: Is it bad on LM to weld on the car?

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous_User View Post
    Yesterday, after finishing the tranny swap in my nieces car, I needed to relax a bit. So, I pulled the 'tona in the garage to finish welding up my IC mounts. I pulled the battery out, amongst other items, and did some welding on the radiator support. When I got it all back together, the car wouldn't start. Then I noticed there was NO check engine light EVER. Well, I've seen that before, so I plugged in my spare LM and drove the car home.

This was my last socketed LM, so now I have to do some soldering.

Should I have removed the LM before welding? Or was it just a coincidence that it happened at that time?
    I feel like it just happened on it's own. If the ground is removed from the battery that should keep voltage spikes from the logic. But then again anything is possible!

turbo addict

I always remove any computers from my car when I weld on the car itself. I had a logic module problem with my car after I welded some things.
    Kevin Isenberg EVERYTHING is for sale!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS592 View Post
    I always remove any computers from my car when I weld on the car itself. I had a logic module problem with my car after I welded some things.
    That's not a bad idea.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

I usually just disconnect the battery.. no problems so far.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

I would simply take the 3 minutes to disconnect it before welding to avoid the possiblity of any issues.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

yeah I had a LM go bad soon after I welded a bobble strut tab to the car. it takes a few sec to remove the connectors for the LM/PM and pull the LM.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

I have heard of it happening but its never happened to me yet, knock on wood. Maybe it was fragile and the welding was the last straw?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

I think it also depends on how good of a ground your welder has to the metal being welded (both pieces) and how close it is to the area being welded as well.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Ground clamp was less than a foot from where I was welding. Area the clamp was attached to was ground clean. I guess it's just my luck. Next time I will definitely remove the connectors on the LM. Should have done it this time, I guess, especially since the kick panel wasn't covering it - just had to reach up and pop the two connectors off.

*sigh*

This car hates me.

Hybrid booster

I don't see how disconnecting the battery would help one way or another.. The LM is still connected to all the wiring on the car. If anything, leaving the battery connected should act as a "filter", making the LM less likely to fry.

I say disconnect the LM/PM, though.

I didn't remove the battery for the sole purpose of welding. It was removed because my son was fiddling with the stereo wiring and I didn't want him shorting anything out.

I also do not see how removing the battery or leaving it in for that matter, would make any difference.

Step 1 in any underhood proceedure is to removed the battery connections. This way there is no power going thru the wires. With respect to welding it is good to have it disconnected in case and some wires end up getting grounded and shorted out due to the welding. Of course if this happens it will be a mess when the battery is re-connected, however it will be easier to deal with while not welding. Disconnecting the battery also opens the loop on most circuits that current can travel thru while welding.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

turbo addict

I doubt it. I work in a body shop and have welded on hundreds of cars without a single problem with the computer. Years ago it was thought you had to remove the ground wire on the batt but ICAR doesnt even require you to do that anymore.

turbo addict

Not sure if LM's and the firewall computers are in the same boat on this but never had a problem with my comps. I Either disconnect or use a Zap Happy. The Zap Happy basically just connects the pos and neg together and keeps the circuit safe from the weld arcs without having to disconnect.

You didnt say what type of welding setup you were using, I wouldnt get concerned about DC tig or mig, slightly concerned about AC mig, BUT if you were welding high frq. TIG you could knock out electronic stuff in the next county. Well maybe a little stretch but High Frequency TIG is nasty on electronics because of the RF and electromagnetic pulse it emits.
    I have a friend that builds race cars for a living and his shop is located next to a buisness comlplex, when ever he would weld the buisnesses would complain that he made their computer equip go bezerk. After wrecking some of their stuff he had to start working at night when they had their stuff shut off.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Warren, do you know what kind (brand/size) of welder that was? Sounds like the transformer it was powered thru was not doint its job.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Jason, No I dont know for sure but I think it is a Miller, I know miller instuction manuals are anal about grounding and RF cautions around electronics, and so is my HTP manual, but only in high freq. AC mode.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    You didnt say what type of welding setup you were using, I wouldnt get concerned about DC tig or mig, slightly concerned about AC mig, BUT if you were welding high frq. TIG you could knock out electronic stuff in the next county. Well maybe a little stretch but High Frequency TIG is nasty on electronics because of the RF and electromagnetic pulse it emits.
    I have a friend that builds race cars for a living and his shop is located next to a buisness comlplex, when ever he would weld the buisnesses would complain that he made their computer equip go bezerk. After wrecking some of their stuff he had to start working at night when they had their stuff shut off.

Thats great info Warren,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    Jason, No I dont know for sure but I think it is a Miller, I know miller instuction manuals are anal about grounding and RF cautions around electronics, and so is my HTP manual, but only in high freq. AC mode.
    Wow, usually Miller welders are pretty decently internally filtered, but like you said, Hi freq and A/C can mess stuff up for sure.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast