Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1987 Shelby Charger re-paint project.

Hybrid booster

1987 Shelby Charger re-paint project.

Car had clear coat fade/chipping all over. Large, small, medium dents everywhere. Rear passenger quarter had rust around the fender well and a rust hole all the way through about the size of a quarter by the rear marker. Needed body work and a paint job BAD.

Before:

Sand blasted & covered back fender lip in some chassis saver/icing:

Cut out the areas that were rotted all the way through & welded in new metal. Then body filler to shape:

Dents pulled, now straightening the very unstraight driver door & back fender, and fixing the unstraight body line:

Hybrid booster

Re: 1978 Shelby Charger re-paint project.

Deleting the 3rd break light. Fiberglass & body filler to fill holes then smoothed out:

I'm missing a lot in between here and primer.. But here's some pictures of the car almost completely primered. It gets wet sanded tomorow. Then we're painting it friday night

We did all this in about 2 weeks. All said and done it'll be roughly 15 days from start to finish.

Hybrid booster

There's a lot more pictures. I'm just too lazy to upload them. The pieces of metal we cut out and welded in were roughly 10 inches x 10 inches on both sides. Pretty decent sized metal. The plan was to get this done as quickly as possible and make it look good at the same time. Easily could have spent 2 months on this car to make it look perfect but I didn't want to spend anymore than 2 weeks or so. So we're making it look good, but there will still be little imperfections here and there.

Car will be solid black, with silver ground effects. Grill on the hood will be silver as well.

turbo addict

That rust is nothing compared to what mine has, the passenger side rear quarter where the marker light is has a hole large enough to fit my arm up into the interior. Good job though, wish I had the talent to weld in and shape patch panels like that.

turbo addict

I heard the '78 Shelby Charger was a rare one. Only like 12 ever built.

Looks good. Post some finish pics!

looks great! i can't wait to see it completed! wanna paint my shelby Z?
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

Looking good

That is one new-fangled '78 if I ever saw one!
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Re: 1987 Shelby Charger re-paint project.

Great pics, I feel ya, it does take time to sit and upload a bunch of them

I am loving the start to finish shots you took, kind of gives everyone an idea of how involved the project is! You are doing two things that work great on a 2 door L body IMO. Getting rid of the silly little reflector behind the wheel and ditching the third brake light K200 high build primer looks so good when it's block sanded, it's almost a shame to cover it up

I also like your wheels, are they Rota's? I've got pumpers and SL wheels for my Rampage but I'm not really sold on either ...

Keep the pics coming as you make progress!

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

The wheels are Motegi Traklites. There is a lot that I didn't get pictures of while we did it but I tried to take a lot of pictures from start to finish.

Those reflectors were really retarded we got rid of those things ASAP. And my buddy & I thought the car looked so much better without that 3rd break light.

turbo addict

nice work, I know how hard body work can be and rust is just so damn depressing.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

boostaholic

glad Im not the only one not afraid to put some work into these cars. Keep us posted on the good work.

And Im glad you know all about the advatages of flex additive

-Kaleb

turbo addict

I guess I'm the only one that thinks they look odd without the rear reflectors.

Quote Originally Posted by spoolinhard View Post
    glad Im not the only one not afraid to put some work into these cars. Keep us posted on the good work.
    There are more than a handful of us.
    Kevin Isenberg EVERYTHING is for sale!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Wow. I have almost no body work experience and that car would frighten me away but you're making it back into a decent car. Nice job.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

I didn't really like those markers on the back so we got rid of them. We deleted the antenna also. Forgot to specify that when I was posting the pictures.

I have very minimal body work experience but my buddy has a lot so he has been teaching me and we've been doing it all on our own. It's coming along nicely though. Definetly.

Hybrid booster

Side & back ground effects. And lower piece of the front bumper were painted & cleared today. Once I wake up we're going to do a final cleaning of the shop and make it spotless before we paint the car. The ground effects came out pretty nicely. I bought expensive dupont clear that my buddy had never sprayed before so he had to get used to it but it turned out pretty nice. It was extremely thick stuff.

I took several pictures of them before and after clear & paint.. However my buddy & I drove from NY to Rhode island to pick up his drag truck. And then back to NY all in 1 day today. Then right afterwards we went to the shop to paint. So after driving non stopped from 7 am until 11:30 pm. THen being in the shop till 6 am. I've been awake for 24 hours, so I'm going the hell to sleep. I'll upload more pics after i arise form my coma.

Hybrid booster

Ground effects painted & Cleared. Very flakey metallic silver:

Car taped off, completely ready for paint:

Laying down base:

Laying down clear:

Hybrid booster

We have to go back to paint the spoiler, the hood grate and those triangle pieces that go over the back quarter windows. Then we wet sand & buff once it's ready.

And then, finally... The car will be done.

While painting we noticed a few little small imperfections here and there. That small dent on the front passenger fender that we managed to completely not notice the entire time.. But all in all I'm very happy with how it turned out. Well worth the 2 weeks of body work.

Hybrid booster

Brought it outside to let it bake in the sun and snapped a few pictures. Then painted the spoiler, mirrors & rear quarter covers...

Car still needs to be wet sanded and buffed, that's getting done tomorrow when we can get the compound and such.

Very pleased with the outcome. Headlights, tail lights and turn signals are going to have to get smoked next. Cause it just won't look right unless they are. Monday afternoon I'll post some pictures of the 100% done product.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

SWEET!!!! Wish I could paint Does your buddy who is helping you need any more freinds ?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

looks very very nice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast