Thread: PS leak onto turbo housing after drag racing(Smoking & don't want a fire!)

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor powermaxx's Avatar

Exclamation PS leak onto turbo housing after drag racing(Smoking & don't want a fire!)

Was racing yesterday and when pulling back to the trailer I get a large cloud of smoke out the hood grill (I had just lost my last round, good timing, ehh?). Did a taste test and it was Power steering fluid. Get home and I can see where it squirted onto the SV housing but it looks like the low pressure side (drain?) is the leaking one. (Replaced hoses and pump a couple of years ago)

Never really worked on PS stuff and thought the return side had little to no pressure. So what kind of pressure is in there? Ran the engine (on jack stands) and no leaks even with turning the wheel with me pushing on the wheels for resistance. Back of pump is dry as a bone.

I have a race this weekend and need to get this sorted out quickly. Worst case I figure I'll wrap them in aluminum foil (for diagnostics to see which is leaking) and/or add a metal deflector shield. And just wipe off the overflow. Hate to have this on my mind when racing! To late to add the manual rack, etc... but they may be the way for right now.

One other note, I have seen a little leakage out the end of the rack seal (pass side). And a few years ago had a small "locking" of the steering when going on the trailer and turning the wheels to line up. Slow to stopped so thought I had popped a seal maybe...

TIA

(Didn't want to post in the Help! section. But Mods move it if you think it should.)

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: PS leak onto turbo housing after drag racing(Smoking & don't want a fire!)

PS fluid will catch fire! We had a firey gas stop in an SDAC-Chicago member's '86 GLHS on the way to SDAC-12 in Memphis. Luckily as we all rad towards the car (which had a big ball of flame and was parked next to a gas pump) with our fire extingushers a big gust of wind blew it out. Also lucky that the oil was burning, not the car so it was pretty much fine after the inxident.

Power steering? who needs that? can you eliminate it in your class? my shadow had a leaky hose when I got it and I just took the pump out and looped the hose together. It is kind of stiff turning tight on slicks, but fine otherwise.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    PS fluid will catch fire! We had a firey gas stop in an SDAC-Chicago member's '86 GLHS on the way to SDAC-12 in Memphis. Luckily as we all rad towards the car (which had a big ball of flame and was parked next to a gas pump) with our fire extingushers a big gust of wind blew it out. Also lucky that the oil was burning, not the car so it was pretty much fine after the inxident.

Power steering? who needs that? can you eliminate it in your class? my shadow had a leaky hose when I got it and I just took the pump out and looped the hose together. It is kind of stiff turning tight on slicks, but fine otherwise.
    I can elimnate it but when this car launches it's like a wild animal! It will side track a full car width left/right in the first 60ft (I have an OBX in there and it has done that from day one). So I don't think I can control it with no power assist with just the left hand (manual tranny...).

Any way the low pressure side can squirt fluid out vs just leaking it? (I can see where it hit the SV housing about 4 inches away or so...) I'm thinking some sort of blockage in the line might allow pressure to build and then let loose.

Just don't have time to swap a manual in there yet.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by powermaxx View Post
    Never really worked on PS stuff and thought the return side had little to no pressure. So what kind of pressure is in there? Ran the engine (on jack stands) and no leaks even with turning the wheel with me pushing on the wheels for resistance. Back of pump is dry as a bone.
    Might want to try looking at it when your turning the wheels with the car on ground (more resistance than you puching on them). We had a 600 that would spray a tiny little stream out the pressure hose right onto the exhaust manifold, but of course it had to be the added strain of turning the tires, when I had it jacked up the problem went away.

Another thought is that there is some issue with the pump being spun too fast for too long causing unusually high pressures? Are you using an underdrive pulley?
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

I can elimnate it but when this car launches it's like a wild animal! It will side track a full car width left/right in the first 60ft (I have an OBX in there and it has done that from day one). So I don't think I can control it with no power assist with just the left hand (manual tranny...).

Any way the low pressure side can squirt fluid out vs just leaking it? (I can see where it hit the SV housing about 4 inches away or so...) I'm thinking some sort of blockage in the line might allow pressure to build and then let loose.

Just don't have time to swap a manual in there yet.
    My Shadow is similar to your car except heavier and less power but I know what you are saying about it pulling. OBX, slicks, powerless power rack... Just gotta lock the left arm into the door panel and grip the wheel hard as you can... practice makes perfect!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

No underdrive pulley and I understand about the ground resistance. I'll try that tonight before I do some test runs.

I changed out the low pressure side hose as it didn't look happy on the hose clamp area (kinda bunched up...) and discovered that some idiot ( ) used the wrong size hose. Been that way for years and never noticed it. So I kicked myself a bit for that and we'll see if that's the problem.

Looks correct now so we'll see.

About that hooking your arm on the door panel. I'd have to use a rope or something as my arm is too big for the L body! Be kinda like the open Altered rules with those arm restraints.

About that hooking your arm on the door panel. I'd have to use a rope or something as my arm is too big for the L body! Be kinda like the open Altered rules with those arm restraints.
    LOL, I cannot hook my arm either, but anchoring the elbow to the door panel helps...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President