Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1986 GLHS Engine Bay Restoration: Finished (pix)

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: 1986 GLHS Engine Bay Restoration: Finished (pix)

Amazing

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

thanx guys, just a lot of time, patience, and elbow grease.

grit blasting the engine bay was the only miserable part of the entire project.

i bet we see a lot more restos of turbo dodges in the coming years (i hope).

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Incredible. What a great job.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    Having taken a few pictures before, and being extremely in interested in these pictures for my own selfish reasons, I'd like to offer the following bits of advice. 1st, get a nice tripod, to get good pictures w/out flash (and not outside), you'll need a very stable camera (or a very ex$pensive one!). Next set the flash to "off", then set it to timer mode, frame the shot, and press the button, wait your few seconds and you've got your shot! I use the timer to prevent a blurry shot due to your finger moving the camera while it's trying to get the shot. If the pictures come out too red/orange, try to get some more light on the subject. Be careful, too harsh and you'll end up with shadows almost as bad as a flash! Best to use a couple of incandescent lights on either side of the camera if you can, this limits the shadows and is more natural than florescent lights. I've hesitated in the past to offer this advise as most folks don't have the patience to go through the trouble, but after seeing the attention to detail here, I'm sure it's within you!

Mike

PS If you really want to get technical, you can put a color card (available form most camera shops) in the frame (not obscuring anything important of course), so when you color correct the pictures you know the color is "true to the world", regardless of so-so light or a camera that is a little off. Am I getting a little anal retentive here? wait for it... wait for it...
    Another thing that gets me is people who have a nice ride and just walk out to the driveway and shoot a pic and call it done. Background is important. Need something nice but that won't detract from the main subject. Back in the 35mm days I would drive around town looking for different backgrounds and shoot an entire roll just to get the right shot. A friend of mine was a professional for a few years and taught me well. Your wifes car beside it, the kids toys on the lawn can ruin a nice pic. Take a few minutes to drive someplace and find a desolate spot. Or as you're driving keep an eye for a different looking spot. Another thing is get low and shoot at car level, take shots from different angles. I have in mind a real cool spot for when my Rampage is done that I found when I was driving around. It's in the hood, but I think it'll look real wild.

Mitsu booster

looks great. wish my csx was a 1/4 as clean as your car.....

thanx LOWRANGO.

i always said the best part of owning any hobby car is just owning it, i still say that. but it is a nice treat to have your peers pat you on the back for a job well done. i say "treat" because it is something i never expect or even try for.

for the very 1st time in my life i got a 1st Place award at a car show ("Best Shelby Numbered", Larz Auto Museum, Boston, July 21, 2007), not that it matters, but it was a nice treat......but now the real to-go-for goal is a 12.799 or better ET besting my 12.92:

turbo addict

bumping

Hybrid booster

Looks Great! Are you gonna bring that thing to Cincy next year? I'm hoping that my dad and I finally get his project, 86S #269, done by then. We'd make for a great pair of 86 S cars.

RICH you dug up this old thread???

DAN no i wont be taking the car to any long distance shows until this economy turns around since i dont have a car hauler.

you should share some in-progress pix of #269, we'd enjoy that.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS View Post
    RICH you dug up this old thread???
    Yup, I was looking at potentially buying a GLH-T that had the wireing chewed through by rodents and needed refference as to where everything should be.

Got anymore pictures?

Bump for stickie????!!!!!!

i dont have any detailed wiring pix, sorry......theres lots of folks here that can help with your wiring questions.

most of my pix are over here:
    http://cardomain.com/ride/632619

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Dang! Just beautiful. I really like your them - almost original, originality compromised ONLY to go fastest with stockest.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
    Speaking of getting things perfect does anyone know of a good source for the little foam covers on the vacuum solenoids. I've seen some that work (from a GM?) but were bigger than the originals.
    Bumping this, anyone know of a source?

talk about raising an old thread.

SUPERCRACKERBOX you need to call your local GM dealer and ask for GM part number 801528, AC part # 219-13. The filters are no longer made, you have to locate NOS, i bought a box of ten in 2009 and I recall there was only one box showing in the GM database, but try partsvoice.com you may find more that have turned up, good luck.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs0075's Avatar

I bought a box of ten last summer. They had to order them in, and didn't mention anything about NOS. This was in Canada, though, so that may make a difference.

Stephen: 1987 GLHS #0075, 1965 Polara 880 convertible
    SDAC National- proud member
    Western Canada SDAC- proud member
    www.wc-tm.com
    "I am not a number. I am a free man!" Number 6

Garrett booster

May be just easier to find some similar foam and cut your own like I did many years ago..I used a heated small nail to bore the hole..worked like a champ..

turbo addict

When I restored GLHS276 I went to a foam store (A-1 foam) and found some foam that was the correct color and close to the correct texture. Bought the correct thickness and then had the foam store cut lengths of this. Then simply cut to correct length. As GLHS444 said use heated nail to bore hole. Then secured with a dab of weatherstrip adhesive. Probably had $5 total into whole thing with enough spares to last a lifetime.
    Todd

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff
    I had some grey foam that was almost a perfect match and cutout pieces from it. I have many extras.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

good tips on making these filters. the box of (10) GM filters was only $7.00. The Dodge Parts Catalog doesn't even show the filters on the solenoid block and there is no listing for a filter part number in the entire catalog that I could find.

Here's what the GM filters look like, very close to the correct Dodge filters:

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Well the link you posted showed plenty in stock at several dealers, so I'll get in contact with them and see how much the prices have gone up. I was about to ask if you had another pic of that area, but you just posted it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123