Thread: Which oil pick up???

Hybrid booster

Which oil pick up???

Hey folks,

I am currently running a 2.2 common block oil pan on my 2.5 without balance shafts. I am using the common block round headed oil pick up. I want to buy a baffled oil pan. Do i have to buy a new oil pick up, I.E. a standard rectangular 2.5 oil pick up, or can i used the one i am currently running?

Joe

Hybrid booster

Re: Which oil pick up???

anyone??

Hybrid booster

It depends what pan they use for a starting point. Why don't you ask the guy/company that is making the pan what pick up will clear his baffles?

Ron

Hybrid booster

It isnt one of our regular vendors, so I want a little feed back from those who know..

Joe

Hybrid booster

bump!...anyone want to chime in?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Skibbe's Avatar

Ron's answer will be the same as anyone elses. It depends on the pan. You'll have to give more information in order to get a better answer.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by firebaron90 View Post
    It isnt one of our regular vendors, so I want a little feed back from those who know..

Joe
    So, you want feedbacks on a oil pan baffles that is made a vendor that you won't name.

Good luck.

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

He doesn't want feedback on the pan, just which pickup to use.

My opinion would be if you are getting another pan just like the pan you are using, then stay with your current style pickup. Unless the new pan specificly requires a certain pickup...

Sorry I don't have direct experiance.
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by mcsvt View Post
    He doesn't want feedback on the pan, just which pickup to use.

My opinion would be if you are getting another pan just like the pan you are using, then stay with your current style pickup. Unless the new pan specificly requires a certain pickup...

Sorry I don't have direct experiance.
    I'm not so sure what he wants.

I already told him which pick with which oil pan.

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe
    Oil pickup is specific to the oil pan.

Round one goes with the no balance shaft oil pan.
    Rectangular goes with the balance shaft oil pan.
    http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...il-pickup.html

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Joe, the pickup has to match the pan. If you use a 2.5 pan, you have to use a 2.5 pickup. If you use a 2.2 pan, you have to use a 2.2 pickup.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

contraption22, there is no such thing as 2.5 pan or 2.2 pan.

There is only common block with balance shaft pan and common block without balance shaft pan.

2.2 comes with balance shaft (TIII, TIV) and 2.5 (dakota) come without balance shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post

There is only common block with balance shaft pan and common block without balance shaft pan.

2.2 comes with balance shaft (TIII, TIV) and 2.5 (dakota) come without balance shaft.
    You can call me Mike.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Then what pan comes on a 2.2 N/A common block?

I've personally used a 2.2 common block pan/pickup on a 2.5 before. It was the best solution for my oil starvation in autocross after the balance shafts were pulled.

Currently the 2.2 pan/pickup are going to be used on a friend's 2.5 built turbo motor.

I second mike on this. Use the 2.2 pickup you are already using with the 2.2 pan. The 2.5 pickup might be too close to the bottom of a 2.2 pan.

Later

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post

James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

Hybrid booster

So, you want feedbacks on a oil pan baffles that is made a vendor that you won't name.

No I want feedback to the question is it ok to use a 2.2 CB oil pick up with a 2.5 oil pan.I do not want to damage my engine. And sorry for the cloak and dagger cant say who B.S., but who made the pan is not imperative to answer this question.

I'm not so sure what he wants.

I already told him which pick with which oil pan.

When you answered the question, you gave no reason why. I wasn't looking for a flip of the coin answer, but thanks for the attempt.

I have a 2.5 CB motor with the shafts removed, that I am currently running a shallow 2.2 pan, as found on a turbo 2 or a 2.2 TBI motor, and the correct, round headed oil pick up. I now have a deep pan, with oil flappers and a windage tray. The windage tray is cut to accept the oil pick up i am currently using (round headed). Is this oil pick (round headed)shorter than the pick up (rectangle shaped) for the deep sump pan. I am worried that even with the oil control type flappers, the round headed oil pick up will suck air and damage my engine.

Thanks in advance.

You will need a pickup from a balance shaft equipped engine. You want the pickup as low in the pan as possible.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Hybrid booster

MIke, the pick ups were measured. The 2.2 C oil pan is 1/8 of an inch higher than the 2.5 balance shaft pick up. Will this make a huge difference?

No, 1/8" is not critical.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log: