Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Went to the track last night

turbo addict

Went to the track last night

It's been a while. The last time I had my car at the track was at Edgewater for SDAC-15 in Cincinatti. My two best 1/8th mile times at Cincy were 8.12 and 8.15. That was at around 15-16 psi of boost. I also ran an 8.51 on 10 psi and an 8.31 on 13.5 psi the last time at this track. Last night, I was logging right at 19.5 psi and my best pass was 8.25 @ 88 + mph. The next 5 passes were all slower mainly out of my frustration with myself. I gained 2-3 mph, so I know that the car is making more power. It just didn't feel as strong as it has on the street. I know that my main problem was a lack of traction. So, maybe it was the track. Right? Well...

...Last night, I think my best 60' time was a 2.1. It obviously wasn't the track since a local guy with a Nissan NX was cutting 1.7-1.8 second 60' times and running low 8's. A friend of mine was cutting 2.0-2.1 on street tires with his Ford Lightning. I just think it has to do with a couple things. I don't think I was heating the slicks up good enough and the extra power was overpowering my 23" M&H slicks. As soon as I was coming out of the hole, I was seeing the shift light. I don't fully understand it since guys that usually cut 1.7-1.8 second 60' times were cutting 1.90's all day at SDAC-15 and I was right there with them. I think I may have to rig up some sort of staged boost setup. Also, what kind of slick pressures are you guys running?

The only differences in the setup last night were a crushed DSM blow off valve, fixed engine alignment issue, and no rear skinnies. I had already decided to purchase an aftermarket BOV. I think I may have been losing some power due to the BOV. The engine alignment fix should have helped and the lack of rear skinnies should be negligible.

Anyway, I'm a better driver than I showed last night. I got so frustrated with my laptop not working right and my rusty driving skills that I rolled past the beams and tried to stage with my rear tires. I've laughed at people for doing stuff that stupid. I should have just parked the car for an hour to calm down and try again.

Here's my 8.25 pass. As you can hear, I'm spinning bad in 1st and 2nd gear.

http://media.putfile.com/GLHS592

Maybe I'm just over thinking all of this and just need more seat time and practice.

BTW, here's a pic of my buddy's Lightning and my junker.
    Kevin Isenberg EVERYTHING is for sale!

Re: Went to the track last night

I run my slicks at 13 psi. I usually spin them out of the hole but they hook at the top of first.
    SDAC member "It's not the ride, it's the rider."

1/8th mile drag racing can be so frustrating because it provides 1/2 the distance to overcome a poor 60 foot, so 60 foot times in 1/8th mile racing are even more critical than 1/4 mile drags. but you did some good #'s considering those 60 footers.

i deliberately avoid any 1/8th mile track, because i am the worst driver from a standstill that i've ever seen.

you car looks fantastic.

Hybrid booster

Maybe a little less air in the tires. I run my slicks at 9.5 lbs. They almost look flat but I can cut upper 1.7 60'.

I'm not a big fan of 1/8 mile tracks............... half the fun

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS592 View Post
    my junker.
    I can't believe you're not ashamed to be seen in that thing.lol. Seriously. I've been battling the same scenario with the SRT. Last Oct the car was cutting 1.9 60' and running 13.4's. End of March 2.0's and 13.6's. The weather was comparable. I blame mine on poor track prep not allowing me to launch as hard, and the DR's getting worn. It'll come back to ya, the worst thing you can do is get pissed and try again. Good luck.

turbo addict

Can any of you guys give me some pointers on better traction in a stick shifted car? I've just about decided that I'm making too much power for 1st gear.

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

Can any of you guys give me some pointers on better traction in a stick shifted car? I've just about decided that I'm making too much power for 1st gear.
    or you can look at it another way, maybe your making to much power for those tires. maybe stepping up to bit taller tire would help. IF your overpowering the tires that is.
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Garrett booster

Joey(gaboon '87 SC) & myself usually run around 7-8psi & have had good results with the 23" M&H's.

One thing that is important, 2nd gear burnouts. More tire speed = more heat = better hook-up.

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

So do you start in 1st and shift to 2nd, or just start in 2nd?

and I think 8 psi sounds about right. Its to a point where they look flat.
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

TIIFIIIWII Turbo Mopar Staff DodgeZ's Avatar

You prolly just need more time behind the wheel at the track.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    So do you start in 1st and shift to 2nd, or just start in 2nd?
    Just start in 2nd, rev it up & release the clutch quickly

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    and I think 8 psi sounds about right. Its to a point where they look flat.
    That's it.

turbo addict

I did a huge smoky John Force style 2nd gear burnout and still couldn't cut a good short time. I think I cut a 2.11 on that try. I would go with the larger (24.5") slicks, but I'm afraid they'd rub my airdam extensions.

I started out with about 12 psi in the slicks. I dropped it down to about 9 psi. I didn't notice any difference. As soon as I dropped the hammer, 1st gear became useless and I was spinning through most of 2nd gear.

One thing I did notice was that my slicks didn't seem to be picking up gravel in the pits. They don't seem to be getting sticky enough. They are only about 3 years old and I probably have less than 20 passes on them. Would a slick get to where it won't "stick" over time?

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeZ View Post
    You prolly just need more time behind the wheel at the track.
    I think you're right. That's probably the #1 problem.

Hybrid booster

I started out with about 12 psi in the slicks. I dropped it down to about 9 psi. I didn't notice any difference.
    Your tires may be getting tired ..... especially if they aren't picking up debris off the ground.

Did you try stiffening up the rear suspension??

turbo addict

The Konis are on full firm. I have no other suspension mods.

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Rears should be full soft
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I would say first time out, not bad at all. I know my first bike race of the year I was at the top 10, last year, placing 2nds. Just give it some time, you'll be back.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    I would say first time out, not bad at all. I know my first bike race of the year I was at the top 10, last year, placing 2nds. Just give it some time, you'll be back.
    I hope. With each pass, I became more and more frustrated with myself. I'm really beginning to think that I may need new slicks. They just don't seem to be getting sticky enough. In '05, I could drop the clutch at any rpm and all you'd hear was a little squeal and then the'd grab hard.

BTW, 1/8 mile is all we have around middle TN. The nearest 1/4 mile is Bowling Green, KY.

Make sure you're coming well out of the water during the burnout. Lots of heat and smoke will not help if you stop spinning on wet pavement and go to the line with water still on the slicks.

My recipe with the M&H's has been to roll into the water, give a quick spin to get them wet, pull forward to the very edge of the water (basically where the pavement is just wet, no puddle) and let them get nice and smokey in 2nd gear until the car starts to pull through the ebrake, pop the ebrake and floor it until the car really starts to rocket forward. Slicks are hot, nice and dry and no water in the wheelwells. Tach her way up at the line and let it fly. I did 1.7-1.8's in my Charger doing this.

TIIFIIIWII Turbo Mopar Staff DodgeZ's Avatar

I hope. With each pass, I became more and more frustrated with myself. I'm really beginning to think that I may need new slicks. They just don't seem to be getting sticky enough. In '05, I could drop the clutch at any rpm and all you'd hear was a little squeal and then the'd grab hard.

BTW, 1/8 mile is all we have around middle TN. The nearest 1/4 mile is Bowling Green, KY.
    My 4 year old slicks still cut 1.78's on a crappy track. It is prolly the prep at your track. I am sure SDAC 15 had better track prep then your local 1/8. I think Barry paid for the good track prep but maybe that was SRT nat's. I recall something like a 500 dollar fee for good track prep. Track prep makes a big difference. I've seen 1.7's one night at a good 1/4 track and then two nights later I can't get better then 2.0's at a crappy 1/8 track. The next season I got 1.7's at the crappy track again.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

turbo addict

That may be the case. Of course, the guy with the Nissan NX (fwd) was cutting low 1.8's with that one 1.77 short time. So, I'm not sure if it was the track. Maybe I just need to go back without any expectations from myself or the car. I'm going to be going to Bowling Green soon and they say that track is always prepped well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast