Thread: Turn signals stopped working, only function for a second.

Turn signals stopped working, only function for a second.

My turn signals lately have been acting weird sometimes, for example, I would switch lanes or whatever and as soon as I would hit the signal it would stay lit and not flash, as if it were stuck on. Then I bring the lever back and it shuts off like normal.

That problem would rarely happen but has only done so in the last month or two.

What has occured in the last few days was a progression of my signals working when they want to. I would hit the lever like usual and they would flash once, twice, three times, all the way to maybe 10 or so, then quit and stay off. Both directions does the same, even the warning flashers. I can almost always get my signals to light up atleast once by switching the lever, but it always dies. This isn't good and I don't want to get pulled over for not having functional turn signals.
    The only way I have been driving is by repeatedly switching my turn signal switch off and on in which ever directions i'm going, and it doesn't even work every time.

I hear that my flasher might be going bad or maybe my switch is worn out. can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for all input!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Re: Turn signals stopped working, only function for a second.

Yeah, change the flasher. Mine was doing the same thing a month ago.

Where is it located? Under the dash or hood?

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Located on the fuse panel, under the dash, in the glove box behind an access panel, etc... it depends on the model and year of the vehicle. Your owners manual should say where

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

my car does something similar. some times it works fine, and sometimes when i goto turn (just left i think, i cant remember) the blinker light comes on, and stays lit. then after like 10 seconds or so, it will start blinking like nothing happened...

ah the joys of owning a car from the early 90's

Hybrid booster

Mark, I'd check grounds. My old 87 Charger did that and it was a loose ground in the socket.

This seems to be what is causing the problem... If I give it a tap it starts clicking like normal and only sometimes stops. Should I find another of these in the junk yard incase it craps out all together? This is all I could find under my dash that seemed to be related to the problem since the noise comes from this unit.

I have a feeling these (on the left of my brake pedal) have nothing really to do with my turn signals?

and could someone maybe be able to identify what this little wire and switch are that go to my fuse panel? No idea what it does at all. I followed the wire all the way to the back of the panel of fuses and i'm clueless. It doesn't really look like it came from the factory. Thanks in advance!

The black 'ice cube' things are relays... the flasher will be of similar size but cylindrical either metal color blue or yellow depending on which type.

What kind of vehicle is it? Got the owners manual?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by rare_ram View Post
    Mark, I'd check grounds. My old 87 Charger did that and it was a loose ground in the socket.
    awsome thanks! i dont drive the car much, so its not really bothered me, but this summer im going to try and fix a lot of the small things

forgot to add, the car is a 92 lebaron gtc, 3.0L/a604

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by SteveReject View Post
    forgot to add, the car is a 92 lebaron gtc, 3.0L/a604
    Pop- up headlight?

yeah, but the wiring didn't match because I replaced my front end from a different year car like a tard-muffin. The connecter is a totally different size so I leave my headlights open for now. I kind of grown attached to the look even though I miss my flat black covers being closed.

My old front end.

My new front end.

Works for me!

I replaced my flashing unit from the very first picture I posted and all seems to be working as normal again! Thanks for everyones help and input!

Wow, never saw a flasher shaped like that... glad you got it fixed tho

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

Did you figure out what the little buttons does?
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168