Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: headlights....

Garrett booster

headlights....

ok so my stock sealed beam headlight on my 88 shelby z SUCK!!! i like the look and the lighting of the hid stuff but there expencive for everything i need to convert to it, what other options do i have? i was thinking the h4 conversion lenses cuz there like $30 and the bulbs i want are about 30-40 for the set... tuscan xenon krystal bulbs 100w low and 130 high, ran them in my spirit and my acclaim and loved them,.. thoughts? ideas? input??

Re: headlights....

i think Gary (mcsvt) did the H4 conversion
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

Garrett booster

ok.. hopefully people chime in tommrow about this.. cuz seriously my headlights suck!! my brights are like everyone else's lows

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

Yeah I did convert to the H4 housings. It was a huge improvement. My car also has the relay setup done to it so the lights get more "juice".

The housings I went with are from www.RallyLights.com. Great quality and service, you can even upgrade your builbs while ordering.

When driving the 87(which hasn't been upgraded at all) the difference is like night and day
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

First thing to check would be the voltage at the plug. I've seen them as low as 10v with coroded plugs and poor wiring. Upgrade the wiring to run through a few relays off the battery and you'll notice a difference there. Also another easy step would be the sylvania silverstars. I noticed quite a difference when switching them over in my 88 Z. Not as bright as the HELLA H4's in my 91 but still much better than stock. I've been eyeing those conversion kits Simon sells. Those look NICE !!!!!!

Garrett booster

i dont care for the silver stars.. i had a set in my spirit and i had them in for 20 minutes and threw them in the garbage!!!

turbo addict

Dont touch the bulb.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetona View Post
    Dont touch the bulb.
    i know this... seriously im startin to think my super white parking lights are brighter than my headlights.... man i miss composite lights

get the conversion like gary said, do the mod with the relays so that the bulbs draw from the battery and instead of through the switch and through 20 feet of wiring. If you are gonna get bulbs that high of a wattage deff do the relay upgrade or you will melt the wiring or switch. I put some in my 88 sundance (same headlamp size) and it was a night and day difference. Search ebay for "4x6 headlight conversion" or "h4656 conversion", ours are h4666 but alot of companies dont list this. Or get the rally lights ones

Garrett booster

thanks

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I bought some E code housings off Ebay, there DOT approved and use the H4 bulb, the cost was very reasonable and are basically Hella knockoffs. Stay away from high watt bulbs, they will burn up your wiring unless you redo with a relay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=013
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Don't get the cheap diamond crap off Ebay. Simon's link seems to have a lense with a genuine E1 code on it which is the German Spec and what you want. E4's are also not bad and I have the Hella version on my ShelbyZ. I have the Hella H1's on my GLH. Definately relay the lights. A 15amp and 30amp relay work to run the lows and highs. I had 9v at my headlights and the wiring isn't bad looking nor were the plugs corroded. I use the factory wiring to activate the relays. I now with just the standard 55/60w bulbs that came with my Hella kit from rallylights.com put out more light than any HID car I've come across. But with a true Ecode light you're not blinding other drivers by just throwing light everywhere. Rallylights.com has diagrams to relay the lights in.

The sealed beam silverstars gave a much more noticable difference compared to the composite lense with the seperate buld in the wife's 2000 grand am GT. I barely noticed a difference when switching the bulbs in her car. The hella conversion kits are really nice but also really pricy. I'd check the voltage at the plug and if it's lower than battery voltage run a seperate supply off the battery to 2 relays and trigger them off the original wiring.

turbo addict

Hella's might be a bit pricey when comparing it to cheap american sylvannia crap etc. But well worth it.

here is a faq for the headlight relay thing
    http://boostedmopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1620

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bfarroo View Post
    The sealed beam silverstars gave a much more noticable difference compared to the composite lense with the seperate buld in the wife's 2000 grand am GT. I barely noticed a difference when switching the bulbs in her car. The hella conversion kits are really nice but also really pricy. I'd check the voltage at the plug and if it's lower than battery voltage run a seperate supply off the battery to 2 relays and trigger them off the original wiring.
    Thats why you get the ones in the link. I bought them and there Hella knockoffs, there certainly work better than the stockers I replaced. Wait unitl I put HID's in there,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

I wouldn't buy Hella lights again.. they are a bunch of garbage as far as Im concerned. Simon has a much more attractive HID kit for little more.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I bought a set of the E-code headlights on eBay, same one turbovanman linked to. They came with plain 'ol H4 bulbs but I replaced them with 9003 Silverstars...I couldn't be happier with them, far better than any DOT sealed beam.

Garrett booster

can someone copy/paste the bm relay stuff i not a member on there so i can see it

join, kevin will thank you, plus its a few posts and a diagram

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast