Thread: '89 CSX won't start. What now?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor CSX321's Avatar

'89 CSX won't start. What now?

I'm trying to get this '89 CSX running good for my daughter. It had a few nagging problems, such as a pretty bad exhaust leak somewhere before the turbo, and some oil leaks.

Based on observation, I thought the rear main seal might be leaking, so I decided to pull the engine, clean it up some, and look it over. I replaced the head gasket, intake/exhaust manifold gasket, a freeze plug, timing belt, etc., and put it back together.

It won't start. There are no codes (except 12). Fuel pressure is good, and it has spark. I was thinking the next step might be to pull the distributor and the upper timing belt cover and see if those seem to be right? Although I lined it all up very carefully when I put the new timing belt on. I suppose the previous owner could have put the intermediate shaft in wrong. I didn't check the distributor before.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: '89 CSX won't start. What now?

If after disconnecting the battery, you don't get an HEP code, I would triple check the cam timing and go from there. You did hook up all grounds? If all that checks out then it could be the SMEC I suppose, but that would not be my first guess at all.

you could always just sell it to me for dirt cheap too I suppose.

I think it must be the timing. It was running okay before I took it apart.

Oh, the exhaust leak was interesting. I originally thought it was because a nut was missing on one of the manifold studs. But I didn't see any carbon anywhere that looked like a leak. Then I noticed that a bolt was missing on the turbo, one that holds the exhaust housing to the center section. At first, I just thought, "Oh, no big deal; there are 4 others holding it together." Then I noticed that the hole for missing one went clear through into the exhaust stream! BIG hole, and big trail of carbon all the way across to the compressor housing.

The leak was causing it to spool up REALLY slow, and made it sound like a truck. It should run a LOT better now. Once I get it to START!!!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

yeah, I would imagine that would be very detrimental to the spooling abilities of the turbo. I too think 99% chance it is the timing.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Yeah if the spark is there the HEP is working but the spark copuld easily be way 'out of phase' for what the engine wants. In other words already mentioned above, the timing is off. when you are checking the timing are you making sure:

THe # 1 piston is up? Remember, Mopar but a flywheel mark at BDC too, so that piston must be up to be certain the mark you are looking at is actually TDC.

The distributor drive gear is in line to the center line of the crank. Never mind what the little dot you can't see anyway says on the I shaft, just line up the gear 'groove' and you are good.

The rotor is pointed at #1 terminal when you reinstall the distributor after the step above.

The cam is in time, by whatever means works for you, the arrows, the little hole, the parting line on the #1 cam cap. Whichever you prefer, even if you are out a tooth either way, it will start, wont run great until it's just right though

Let us know, glad you and 321 are getting some quality time

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    The distributor drive gear is in line to the center line of the crank.
    Yeah, that's the one thing I didn't do. I put the belt on while the engine was on the stand, so it was easy to line up the marks on the sprockets. I didn't think to check the distributor at the time, though.

Alan, you remember the guy at that dealership who said a freeze plug was leaking? I didn't believe him, but that was the one (and only) thing he said that was true. The middle plug in the back was corroded through and had a tiny hole in it. Oh, the oil leaks were from the valve cover and the oil pan ends. No big deal.

The engine looked good inside. I was happy to figure out all the problems. This thing's gonna run much more better!

I'm tempted to go out and mess with the timing, but I'm tired. Tomorrow...

boostaholic

Check this site out for checking cam + dis. timing, http://www.thedodgegarage.com/ under turbo data base.

Well, that was easy! The distributor was turned around 180.

I went for a little drive and it went pretty well, but there was some clunking. Looks like I need some strut mounts; the passenger side is flopping around. I probably didn't notice it before because of all the other noise it was making from bad motor mounts, the exhaust leak, etc.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

It's sweet when you can 'fix' your car by removing a single 13mm bolt Sadly, it's almost never that easy ...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Garrett booster

you're letting you daughter drive it???? man those cars are pretty rare i wouldn't let my kid drive it!!! with the hubs i just went down to the j/y and pulled the hubs off a newer fwd so i could use the four bolt hubs. though i haven't put them on yet i still need to figure out if my rotors will work with those hubs? are they bigger? i already have the brake assy. except the rotor.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Maybe that was a sign not to let the daughter drive it?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.