Thread: What size tire can I run?

Garrett booster

What size tire can I run?

After getting my car running good agian I realized that my 215/45/17's arn't cutting it. They are just spinning too much. I am running Enkei RF1 17" rims. They are 38mm off set. I am wondering how big of a tire can I run without having it rub when turning? I was planning on going for like a 235 or 245 but I don't want to compromise my already crappy turning radius. This is on a '88 Shelby Z with stock suspension. Also I want to go with a nice fat tire because it just looks bad ---. Nothing looks more cool but then you roll up to a car and see super wide tires on it.

turbo addict

Re: What size tire can I run?

what width wheel?
    well I'm positive that a 225 will fit, look into quality tires instead of just extra rubber.

I put 245/45/17's on mine but barely fits w/ modded Koni coilovers on front(89 Spirit)

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I agree. A big wide crappy tire may not grip as well as a good tire no matter how wide it is.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

I've seen 245 50's run on a daytona on 6.5" crabs. Looked great and no issues
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

depends on your width... i would NOT recommend 245/anything on a 7.0, i am running 245/45 on one car wth 7.5 and that seems to be ok, and im running 245/40 on a 8.0, and thats a perfect fit.. in fact, i would go 255/40 on the 8.0 if i had an excuse to replace them lol.

however, your 38 mm offset pretty much dictates that you have a 7.0 or 7.5 since 8.0 wont fit with that offset.. so i would say go with 245/45 or something a little rarrower. 245/45r17 are pretty dang tall too unless you arent lowered at all.. so maybe for 7.0 you should stick to 225 or 235 in 40 or 45 .

also, 245/45r17 may rub on the lower spring perch of stock struts, i dont know for sure.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    also, 245/45r17 may rub on the lower spring perch of stock struts, i dont know for sure.
    not sure either but I think they will rub

Hybrid booster

IS it your tires that aren't cutting it.. or perhaps your suspension? My 88 only has 131,000kms on it and it squats like crazy when I hammer on it with stock springs and new KYB Gas adjusts. Sure your's isn't doing the same?

If your Ride is stock, I'd look at suspension as well as the tires. Treadware can make a big diff.