Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phantom Grip Test

Authorized Vendor Turbo Mopar Vendor BadFastGTC's Avatar

Phantom Grip Test

I took my Shelby Lancer out to do a traction test with stickier tires on the car. I put the BBS wheels with the BFG KDW tires on the car from my ACR. I loaded it up on the converter and at 10 psi I matted it. I do not know where I clicked the auto into second gear other than it was over 6,000. The car shoots to 20 psi and it is a load of fun! The 2.2 was taken out due to an issue with the Ross units I had in it. I put in a stock 2.5 with a big valve 782 with a larger cam. The PG lost it shortly after I took off as evidenced by the pics I will upload.

Steve M.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PGrip.JPG 
Views:	179 
Size:	157.5 KB 
ID:	3981   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PGrip1.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	158.5 KB 
ID:	3982   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PGrip2.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	159.0 KB 
ID:	3983   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PGrip3.JPG 
Views:	181 
Size:	161.5 KB 
ID:	3984  

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Re: Phantom Grip Test

Very interesting!
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

I tried to upload 4 shots, but I keep getting told "invalid thread specified". It is starting to piss me off!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Very interesting!

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

That is even more weird. Just hit "Post Reply" below and add them to that post. When you hit add attachments, you can select more then one file.

Frank
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Hybrid booster

Not too surprising. Even if you machine the gears to create a greater contact area they start to lose effectiveness in fairly short order. The only thing we tell people to use a PG/block style in is a 525. Even with an auto, the cost of the spacer and hardware to use an obx/quaife is well worth the HUGE increase in service life compared to the PG.

I agree whole heartedly! The thing was a "present" to me and I had nothing to lose. Hopefully it'll hold up with slicks on the car once I get it to the track.

Steve M.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGLH View Post
    Not too surprising. Even if you machine the gears to create a greater contact area they start to lose effectiveness in fairly short order. The only thing we tell people to use a PG/block style in is a 525. Even with an auto, the cost of the spacer and hardware to use an obx/quaife is well worth the HUGE increase in service life compared to the PG.

Don't know what to say Buddy! Now she cooperated!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    That is even more weird. Just hit "Post Reply" below and add them to that post. When you hit add attachments, you can select more then one file.

Frank

Wow Steve that looks like my test track, you been around here lately? Looks just like ND. Hows that 2.0L comming along?
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

boostaholic

Nice... I settled for the Phanton Grip in the 41TE I just had built for my Sebring. I was already spending $3275 to have this transmission built to handle 425+ whp, I couldn't afford the extra $1200+ for a Quaife. Maybe in a few years I'll upgrade.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Yep, inserts suck. I lost a diff to the spider gears welding themselves to the cross shaft,

But for a street car, they work quite well,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Man, I hope those weren't new KDW's

Next time you're up for a 250' burn out, could you bring a friend along with a video camera ?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Warren,

I haven't been sent out your way as of yet. The road I use to test is a load of fun. I haven't touched the 2.0 as of late.

Steve M.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    Wow Steve that looks like my test track, you been around here lately? Looks just like ND. Hows that 2.0L comming along?

Maybe someday the Quaife will be a reality for the 413. I'm not fond of other choices out there. These will be the last burnouts I do in this car.

Steve M.

Quote Originally Posted by SebringLX View Post
    Nice... I settled for the Phanton Grip in the 41TE I just had built for my Sebring. I was already spending $3275 to have this transmission built to handle 425+ whp, I couldn't afford the extra $1200+ for a Quaife. Maybe in a few years I'll upgrade.

I've done three, maybe four burnouts in the car with the PG. The first ones always left two even patches, but I was running a much harder tire at that time. The KDW's may have impacted the results, the PG may be toast, the weight distribution may be off, I don't know. I won't run the old girl hard until I get a chance to run it with slicks. I'll be careful not to spin due to reasons you mentioned.

Steve M.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Yep, inserts suck. I lost a diff to the spider gears welding themselves to the cross shaft,

But for a street car, they work quite well,

They had a chance to be heat cycled before the burnout.
    I was rather surprised at the length of the thing. I tried to take a shot of it yesterday, but my camera was dead. When I went out this morning, the dust from the farmers had covered them up somewhat. I ran up to the end of the thing and thought, "Why the hell did I keep my foot in it so long?"

Steve M.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Man, I hope those weren't new KDW's

Next time you're up for a 250' burn out, could you bring a friend along with a video camera ?

excellent pix, very interesting results.

for the a-525, theres only one product for limited slip diffy and thats the PG unit, well , unless you go back in time and can find a Shelby a-525 LSD unit.

i have about 1,200 miles on my PG in my a-525 and it always hooks both tires, DR's or slicks.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by BadFastGTC View Post
    Maybe someday the Quaife will be a reality for the 413. I'm not fond of other choices out there. These will be the last burnouts I do in this car.

Steve M.
    I don't know much about transmissions, but the guy who built mine offers an option to use the Quaife LSD meant for the 5-speed on a SRT-4 or PT Cruiser in the 41TE auto trans. He may be able to do something similar with a 413. He does some amazing trans work.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

So far, the OBX has worked quite well and for the money, you can't go wrong.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS View Post
    excellent pix, very interesting results.

for the a-525, theres only one product for limited slip diffy and thats the PG unit, well , unless you go back in time and can find a Shelby a-525 LSD unit.

i have about 1,200 miles on my PG in my a-525 and it always hooks both tires, DR's or slicks.
    How well does,(did) the Shelby unit work?
    I'm not sure why someone hasen't tried to reproduce it.
    Anyone got one lying around I can look at?

according to Cliff R. the old shelby unit is a true full time LSD and is very strong and reliable, but, when making very tight turns the wheels tend to hop and bind. Cliff has a shelby LSD in his 86 glhs.

also Cliff has told me that the PG in the 525 is a good match since the omni is so light, so the PG unit in the light cars tends to work very well for many miles, that why i forked out the extra money for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast