Thread: Loud noise(pop) from passenger side front

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Loud noise(pop) from passenger side front

I just got my Daytona together and I'm noticing a loud but intermittant popping noise coming from the front passenger side while driving. At first I thought it was the strut but I'm starting to think CV or intermediate or wheel bearing. When backing up slowly(wheels straight) there is a noticable clicking/popping sound from front right. Anyone have a similar problem? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, David

turbo addict

Re: Loud noise(pop) from passenger side front

Cv joint is binding and popping if it's pretty loud.
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

Thanks...that's what it sounds like but what was throwing me off is that it doesn't seem to matter which way I am turning. Usually a CV or wheel bearing makes noise when turning opposite but the noise sounds like CV. Thanks, I appreciate the input. Looks like I'll be pulling the axle this weekend. David

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

I agree on the issue being the axle. Not usually how you hear the noise, but not sure if it could be anything else.
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

turbo addict

Yep, I'd be willing to bet it's the inner and not the outer that's binding. If it's the inner, then turning makes less of an impact of what causes the "popping." A rack and pinion is usually typically attributed to "steering" when it pops and binds...
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor jre97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 88_pacifica View Post
    Yep, I'd be willing to bet it's the inner and not the outer that's binding. If it's the inner, then turning makes less of an impact of what causes the "popping." A rack and pinion is usually typically attributed to "steering" when it pops and binds...
    +1
    The inners usually bind up when they are going bad and are more susceptable to binding with suspension travel.

Thanks for the help. I replaced the axle on Saturday and found that the inner CV joint was bad. I haven't had much of a chance to drive it since replacing the axle as I am now waiting for rear rotors and a rear caliper to come in.